[Official]PR:Tasks lists

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

[Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi Community!
I'm around again. Hope you didn't forget me, even if my health issues dragged me from the "Front" and pushed me to the back "blogging when I am able to"
As always, and since I am lately watching very active forum topics, I'm sharing with you a nice idea to have a decent database list of opensource projects, hardware vendors and mass media.
Please help us filling the lists so we can boost the ReactOS PR among them asap.
If each of us "fills" 10 entries, we would end having hundreds!

Software: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
Hardware: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
Media: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Thanks a lot!

Addendum from Z98:

Victor wants to try to put together a list of contacts separating them out by software developers, hardware vendors, and media, to have as a kind of cheat sheet in case the project ever wants to/needs to reach out to these organizations. For example, if the project wants to speak with the LibreOffice developers or coordinators, whom do we contact or is there a specific individual that would be especially suited to act as a go between. Or if there's a hardware vendor that we want to try to get samples from, whom would we talk to. Or if we're about to release a major point release, what are the appropriate contact emails of various news sites that might actually be interested. That's what these lists are about and Victor's asking the community to try to fill in these holes.

oldman

Re: [Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by oldman »

vicmarcal wrote:Hi Community!
I'm sharing with you a nice idea to have a decent database list of opensource projects, hardware vendors and mass media.
Please help us filling the lists so we can boost the ReactOS PR among them asap.

Thanks a lot!
vicmarcal,
Could you explain in more detail what this is all about.

Thanks.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:Hi Community!
I'm sharing with you a nice idea to have a decent database list of opensource projects, hardware vendors and mass media.

Thanks a lot!
vicmarcal,

Thanks.
I'll second that. It's not entirely clear what, exactly, is it you want, or want to do. Is it just to have something to mail too? And what ROS PR? Thorium has ended...

For instance, with 'media', do you mean we have to type stuff like "Slashdot", "The Register", and such? In principle, I'm all for some concerted PR campaign (though it comes too late for Thorium), as I've already said in other posts. Some more involvement of the fans is welcomed...but you might, indeed, explain things a bit more as to what this new project entails, what it's about, why you want it and what, exactly, is it going to be used for.

Things like that.

fred02

Post by fred02 »

vicmarcal wrote:Please help us filling the lists so we can boost the ReactOS PR among them asap.

I'm not familiar with Google docs/drive. Does it requires a login? At least it asks me one. :?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

oldman wrote: vicmarcal,
Thanks.
Webunny wrote:
I'll second that. It's not entirely clear what, exactly, is it you want, or want to do. Is it just to have something to mail too? And what ROS PR? Thorium has ended...

For instance, with 'media', do you mean we have to type stuff like "Slashdot", "The Register", and such? In principle, I'm all for some concerted PR campaign (though it comes too late for Thorium), as I've already said in other posts. Some more involvement of the fans is welcomed...but you might, indeed, explain things a bit more as to what this new project entails, what it's about, why you want it and what, exactly, is it going to be used for.

Things like that.
Yes.
Usually, when I was around, I was creating "Testing" requests and the Community was joining and helping to fill those tasks: Those [Official]tasks went from Regression testing to Releases testings.

This time, I feel (as a PR Coordinator) that something such basic and easy as "having a PR List of contacts" is a must for the project. Having such list is a must but also a good opportunity for those who want to help.

About your specific questions:
- Media means any "Media" stuff. From the "traditional media" ( Newspapers, although these are contacted through "News agency") to "new media" (Slashdot, Meneame, Digg It, Bloggers, Online Media-Magazines). If you are unsure about one, just add it, the more-> the better. :)
Thanks for helping!
fred02 wrote:I'm not familiar with Google docs/drive. Does it requires a login? At least it asks me one. :?
Hi fred02! The links should direct you to a "Google Spreadsheet"(Excel alike). You can go and fill and it shouldn't ask you for any "login". Just in case press "CTRL+F5" it should force a full refresh, if it doesnt work please tell me your browser. :) A lot of thanks!

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

vicmarcal wrote:If each of us "fills" 10 entries, we would end having hundreds!
Hi and welcome back, vic! I think it would help a lot if you pre-filled one or two example entries into each table, it's not that easy to guess from the table headers what should go inside. Or maybe I'm just a bit slow after lunch? :)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:If each of us "fills" 10 entries, we would end having hundreds!
Hi and welcome back, vic! I think it would help a lot if you pre-filled one or two example entries into each table, it's not that easy to guess from the table headers what should go inside. Or maybe I'm just a bit slow after lunch? :)
Good one! Yes! Adding examples :)

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

vicmarcal wrote:Good one! Yes! Adding examples :)
Thanks. Are there any requirements for the Software list? Should we just add whatever app we try? E.g. everything I tested on 0.3.16 RC I should also add there?
Does the same apply for the hardware? Can I add RH machines there or is it only for some dev boards?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:Good one! Yes! Adding examples :)
Thanks. Are there any requirements for the Software list? Should we just add whatever app we try? E.g. everything I tested on 0.3.16 RC I should also add there?
Does the same apply for the hardware? Can I add RH machines there or is it only for some dev boards?
Nope. It is a software vendor list. So the objective is to have a list of products not being ours :)
Same with hardware. In this case you can place a hardware vendor (let's say: Realtek, and a model of a card, and contact email..etc)
Normal software and hardware you can think about or that Google "spits" at you :)
Microsoft Office, Acrobat Reader, OpenOffice, etc...

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I see enough confusion right now that I need to step in. This will be appended to Victor's post, but here's what is actually being asked for.

Victor wants to try to put together a list of contacts separating them out by software developers, hardware vendors, and media, to have as a kind of cheat sheet in case the project ever wants to/needs to reach out to these organizations. For example, if the project wants to speak with the LibreOffice developers or coordinators, whom do we contact or is there a specific individual that would be especially suited to act as a go between. Or if there's a hardware vendor that we want to try to get samples from, whom would we talk to. Or if we're about to release a major point release, what are the appropriate contact emails of various news sites that might actually be interested. That's what these lists are about and Victor's asking the community to try to fill in these holes.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Last question ;) Can we add contacts for foreign-language media? E.g. I can add contact for the Czech magazines to which I twittered about the kickstarter (of which one even posted the news).

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:Last question ;) Can we add contacts for foreign-language media? E.g. I can add contact for the Czech magazines to which I twittered about the kickstarter (of which one even posted the news).
Sure, even more, that's the idea :) Trying to reach everywhere, not just english media :)

Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

In the software list, if an application exists in both an open source and a closed source variant or in a free and a non-free variant, how should the corresponding columns in the list filled?

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:Last question ;) Can we add contacts for foreign-language media? E.g. I can add contact for the Czech magazines to which I twittered about the kickstarter (of which one even posted the news).
Sure, even more, that's the idea :) Trying to reach everywhere, not just english media :)
Years ago, I wrote some articles for a Dutch IT-magazine (popularising IT) as a freelancer. I might still have some direct contact-info with the head-editor laying around. But I doubt he's going to respond to someone he doesn't know, so in a sense I'm the 'direct contact' I guess. But it's been several years, so I don't know how things evolved since.

I *could* mayhaps check it out again, and try for an article on ROS to be accepted, but I can't promise anything, and it would have to be something special to begin with, to make sure they find it interesting enough. Maybe like the 0.4 version coming out (certainly if I got some inside-info in front of it, as a sort of 'scoop').

Anyway, it's something to keep in mind. If I forget by the time the 0.4 comes up, remind me, vicmarcal. :-)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Forever Winter wrote:In the software list, if an application exists in both an open source and a closed source variant or in a free and a non-free variant, how should the corresponding columns in the list filled?
Hmm. Which kind of app is sold as a "free" and "non-free" variant?
If the app asks for a "license key" it is considered Freeware. It is really a "non-free" app.
Is there an app that is opensource and closed source at the same time?

Feel free to add a "Note" if you have doubts, we will review them and correct it if needed :)

Thanks a lot!