ReactOS & GSOC?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ArmyMan007

ReactOS & GSOC?

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Is it possible that ReactOS have yet again entered and is indeed participating in GSOC 2014?! :D
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
milon

Re: ReactOS & GSOC?

Post by milon »

I hope so! There's only 2 more days for organizations to apply:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/home ... e/gsoc2014
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

milon wrote:I hope so! There's only 2 more days for organizations to apply:
Oh no!
Oh no!
/me runs in circles...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Oh no!
Oh no!
/me runs in circles...
I presume they DID apply for GSOC 2014?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Webunny wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:
Oh no!
Oh no!
/me runs in circles...
if they didn't I don't think that they would advertise it on the frontpage
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gonzoMD wrote:
Webunny wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:
Oh no!
Oh no!
/me runs in circles...
if they didn't I don't think that they would advertise it on the frontpage
Granted. Unless they were being extra-ordinary cynical about it. ;-)

Lately, I always keep it open on the forum, and only sporadically check the frontpage (can't remember it being there last week when I read the last blog-entries, though, but maybe I overlooked).
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Well, they were accepted to GSOC the last time I think.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Yeah.
We did apply :)
There is a Wiki page in ReactOS containing more than 15 works for this year students.
Sadly we were refused since several years ago, but we keep pushing year through year.
Let's see what happens now.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:Yeah.
We did apply :)
There is a Wiki page in ReactOS containing more than 15 works for this year students.
Sadly we were refused since several years ago, but we keep pushing year through year.
Let's see what happens now.
Yeah, I read it.

To be honest, most of those didn't seem all that very important. I mean, not in the sense that I would think a priority for ROS. Ok, you have the shell, usb 3 and some others that could be very useful and rewarding, but a lot were just... I dunno. Not really like it was of pivotal importance. But maybe they wanted enough diversification, so at least some jobs got filled in with a high probability?

For instance, I almost didn't see anything related to kernel-related work. And apart from 1, nothing that would have any promise to drastically improve compatibility with (windows) software programs being run on ROS.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I'm sure all of them have *some* use to ROS. It's just that I was expecting a lot more to be 'major' things that needed work on, while the majority now seems to be rather side-issues.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The two pieces of work needed in the kernel at this point is section support in the memory manager and an NT5 storage stack. The size and expertise required of these projects put them well beyond what could be achieved by a GSoC project.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Webunny wrote:Yeah, I read it.

To be honest, most of those didn't seem all that very important. I mean, not in the sense that I would think a priority for ROS. Ok, you have the shell, usb 3 and some others that could be very useful and rewarding, but a lot were just... I dunno. Not really like it was of pivotal importance. But maybe they wanted enough diversification, so at least some jobs got filled in with a high probability?

For instance, I almost didn't see anything related to kernel-related work. And apart from 1, nothing that would have any promise to drastically improve compatibility with (windows) software programs being run on ROS.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I'm sure all of them have *some* use to ROS. It's just that I was expecting a lot more to be 'major' things that needed work on, while the majority now seems to be rather side-issues.
I have similar opinions.

Now the test suite stuff is quite important since those are tools for comparing to Windows behavior and finding oversights and missing functions. While the Winetests and similar are good for development and regression testing, it would be nice to be able to test and compare every little aspect. When in doubt, try the scientific method (eg., guess, experiment, and conclude).

The shell32 work is important too in getting the new explorer to work properly. It might even help highlight deeper issues.

The line stuff and layered windows stuff might help with display corruption and similar issues, and might improve compatibility some.

A lot of the rest are things I don't even use in Windows, and others I see as getting the cart before the horse. Audio is great, and I wouldn't use a system long without it, but there seems to be more pressing concerns, except for users who are experiencing audio driver hangs and stuff, and that is serious. However, the projects might highlight deeper problems in ROS, and more than likely, they fit the skill range of the proteges. There is no reason why those not working on low-level functions can't do things that are within their skill level.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Webunny wrote:To be honest, most of those didn't seem all that very important. I mean, not in the sense that I would think a priority for ROS. Ok, you have the shell, usb 3 and some others that could be very useful and rewarding, but a lot were just... I dunno. Not really like it was of pivotal importance. But maybe they wanted enough diversification, so at least some jobs got filled in with a high probability?
Sure, but don't forget about the interest of the sponsoring organisation. :) My guess is that projects should also be of "general" interest to retain their attention. USB3 is hot, so are audio and UEFI and they all can be transposed to windows, so the results will have a broader impact. Test suites for C programs are also universal and applied to kernels are of paramount importance for developing any OS.
(Personally, I would be thrilled if someone worked on IFS, but the task seems too daunting.)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Not sure whether this is the right place, but I think another idea that was around and is missing from the GSOC ideas page is WPA/WPA2 wireless networking support.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I just checked out the GSoC-page... and I have a little proposa with regard to the paragraph referreing to the sourcecode of Windowsl: you usually do not "swear". In English, you typically "represent", or if you want it more expressive, "represent and warrant" (whereby *that* "distinction" is just stemming from English marine insurace law - for all other practical purposes outside of it, it is more or less a pleonasm).
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

again no luck this year :|