First boot = BSOD

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RacerBG

First boot = BSOD

Post by RacerBG »

My latest try with ROS was at version 0.3.15 live CD if my memory is right. Closing my eyes for some shell bugs at least I had never experienced BSOD's...

Today I downloaded VB virtual HDD with ROS 0.3.16 (from the main downloads) and what to see: I had started the virtual machine with the ROS default settings and I chose the default React OS option. Loading was fine but in the end I saw the BSOD instead of the desktop. :D

I'm using Virtual Box 4.3.6 with Linux Mint 13 if this info is needed...

[ external image ]

RacerBG

Re: First boot = BSOD

Post by RacerBG »

Second boot was a success... Well not so big but the system started. Of course not everything started as you will see and in the end ROS was very unhappy about my decision to preview the screensavers - PRIVATE AREA! If you want to view them Mr. User I will crash you! You had been warned... :D

Here is the missing driver (luckily only one):

[ external image ]

Here is the system crash (only Ctrl+Alt+Del works, the buttons are not responsive):

[ external image ]

After further in depth OS walking I detected the same old explorer or shell problems as in version 0.3.15 (which was my first ever ROS version). In short: the explorer/shell is not remembering my settings, single windows setting is useless, multiple windows are causing multiple problems for some reason, the internet connection seems to be working but it's not downloading anything in add/remove programs, moving windows inside windows is causing huge gray dragging effect and so on (in the end the whole system just stopped responding):

[ external image ]

PS: This is not a rant by any mean, I'm just disappointed to see the same errors again and again. :( Keep up the excellent work, guys and don't give up but please at least fix the major issues. This is my feedback for today.

eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

I think 0.3.16 has been released in hurry. Because they need demonstrate ReactOS to pepole and support for the Kickstarter campaign.

RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

eersoy93 wrote:I think 0.3.16 has been released in hurry. Because they need demonstrate ReactOS to pepole and support for the Kickstarter campaign.
If this was their target - it is very wrong implemented! :| My posts above are the prove of that.

milon

Post by milon »

eersoy93 wrote:I think 0.3.16 has been released in hurry. Because they need demonstrate ReactOS to pepole and support for the Kickstarter campaign.
That's the first I've heard this. Would you post a link to the official statement that you read?

EDIT - Did some further reading, and Z98 has already addressed this:
The theme and USB issues were discovered very late in the release process. The USB issue was discovered as the release images themselves were being generated. We knew for damn sure that the theme issue would not be fixed within a reasonable amount of time due to its complexity and we had no idea what was even triggering the USB issue so it was a simple decision, either scrub the release or release and noting them as known issues. Considering how much flak we get for not releasing as often as some people think we should and the flak we would get for releasing with the issues anyway, we were damned if we did and damned if we didn't so we decided to put out the release instead of wasting the time and effort the testers put in. Try not to overthink project decisions, they're really not that complicated.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi RazerBg!
Well...let's begin :)
1) We have just discovered a nasty bug in the 0.3.16 Live CD. Testers didnt report any issue rgarding Live CD so..no issue were tracking down. This evening Timo has probably fixed the LDR issue. Tonight we will have to take a decission regarding to this: Keeping the current Livecd or doing a new 0.3.16 Live version.
2)If you are using a LiveCd, it means it doesnt use your harddisk at all so "saving" your settings is impossible. Once you reboot or turn off, the Livecd will always reask for settings. This problem happens in any LiveCd out there: Ubuntu, Reactos, whatever :)
3)Actually there is a full time dev working in Reactos Explorer-new. Hopefully it will fux most of the explorer issues.

You can follow all the improvements in the Reactos.org homepage through News and Blogs. :)

RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

vicmarcal wrote:Hi RazerBg!
Well...let's begin :)
1) We have just discovered a nasty bug in the 0.3.16 Live CD. Testers didnt report any issue rgarding Live CD so..no issue were tracking down. This evening Timo has probably fixed the LDR issue. Tonight we will have to take a decission regarding to this: Keeping the current Livecd or doing a new 0.3.16 Live version.
2)If you are using a LiveCd, it means it doesnt use your harddisk at all so "saving" your settings is impossible. Once you reboot or turn off, the Livecd will always reask for settings. This problem happens in any LiveCd out there: Ubuntu, Reactos, whatever :)
3)Actually there is a full time dev working in Reactos Explorer-new. Hopefully it will fux most of the explorer issues.

You can follow all the improvements in the Reactos.org homepage through News and Blogs. :)
Thanks for looking at my tries to "use" ROS. :) I was using the Virtual Box HDD version of ROS not Live CD but today I saw interesting news at the site. What will be upgraded in the end? Only Live CD or every 0.3.16 download?

After all I'm very happy for ROS and I have a reason (the developers are not behind huge walls :D ) so my words can be read and my problems can be solved. What's working and what's not is most probably well known. Now let's see what's inside C:\... And by the way I suggest that if there are any win*** files/commands they should be renamed with for example ros*** because for me ROS is not a clone of Windows - it is NT based independent system. 8-)

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

How do you rush an alpa? Anyway, they already demoerated it before 0.3.16. :roll:
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

RacerBG wrote:And by the way I suggest that if there are any win*** files/commands they should be renamed with for example ros*** because for me ROS is not a clone of Windows - it is NT based independent system. 8-)
They have to be named win*** for compatibility reasons. There are any number of programs that depend on those files/commands being named whatever they're named in Windows.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I recently tested livecd-62161-dbg.iso from 14th February. Hmm the only thing that makes my eyes happy - it says version 0.4.0. 8-) What other things can I say? Not many... The problems which I have had in version 0.3.16 are still there except the window dragging problem fixed (moving windows inside windows is causing huge gray dragging effect) - THANK YOU! There were many unknown drivers for some reason not just one this time - they were listed as non plug and play drivers. The single window work space still is useless.

Interesting thing I noticed: When I minimize the window inside the work space and then maximize it the 3 buttons for minimize, maximize and close become invisible.

Keep work guys but this nasty bugs in the explorer are very annoying! :|

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

RacerBG wrote: Interesting thing I noticed: When I minimize the window inside the work space and then maximize it the 3 buttons for minimize, maximize and close become invisible.

Keep work guys but this nasty bugs in the explorer are very annoying! :|
Yes we are aware of these bugs, see CORE-6756,,,,
"Now, MDI minimized window should have a menu bar with icon, name and system buttons. Just like XP/W2k3. The code in win32k is from wine too. This is why all the minimized windows go into the bottom left corner. Arrange icons works but the location is lost. Now arrange icon makes the windowed icon go away (Test our explorer). This bug has been around for a long time and once I had it fixed but someone updated the win32k code to wine and now we have all these problems."

Oh yes, it is very annoying!!!!