Reactos compatibility with what windows?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

doctortonic

Reactos compatibility with what windows?

Post by doctortonic »

If I will install ReactOs, what version of drivers and what version of programs do I need / can I run, for win-xp,vista,7,8? Is there a 64 bit of ReactOs?

For example the drivers for my ati videocard is in this flavours/versions:

-ati driver for XP
-ati driver for Windows Vista
-ati driver for Windows 7 and 8

Regarding software, what Adobe Photoshop Lightroom can I run on ReactOs, as the system requirements are by the version:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Version 3.x - Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Version 4.x - Dropped XP support so runs only on Vista,7,8

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Version 5.x - Dropped Xp, VISTA support so runs only on 7 and 8.

Thank You in Advance!

gonzoMD

Re: Reactos compatibility with what windows?

Post by gonzoMD »

The Kernel Target is Win2k3 (5.2)
As we share most of our usermode parts with wine, there should some usermode functions of newer versions of windows also be available or at least stubbed.

doctortonic

Post by doctortonic »

Searching for " Win2k3 (5.2) " on google I've reached on wikipedia
"Windows Server 2003 (sometimes referred to as Win2K3)"

Hmm, so ReactOs is like a Windows Xp Server, did I get the ideea right?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Like a Windows XP 64bit Server. Just in 32 bit right now ^^ XP is 5.1 and XP 64 bit / Server 2003 is 5.2
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

EmuandCo wrote:Like a Windows XP 64bit Server. Just in 32 bit right now ^^ XP is 5.1 and XP 64 bit / Server 2003 is 5.2
It means, that, for example, Visual Studio 2013 or Sony Vegas 13 will not run under ReactOS. :(

fred02

Post by fred02 »

EmuandCo wrote:Like a Windows XP 64bit Server.
You certainly meant Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
(I sure hope this explanation will not confuse doctortonic any further.)

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

fred02 wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:Like a Windows XP 64bit Server.
You certainly meant Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
(I sure hope this explanation will not confuse doctortonic any further.)
We have features of both server software(Windows 2003) and regular software(Windows XP) on ReactOS, I think EmuandCo also meant that saying WindowsXP 64-bit server.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, nope. I tried to tell him that way, that it's NO XP, except you are meaning XP 64 bit.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Well, nope. I tried to tell him that way, that it's NO XP, except you are meaning XP 64 bit.

You're not looking at this from an ordinary users' perspective. I think the guy just wants to know what drivers to use, and he ain't gonna see 'Windows Server 2003 drivers'.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Ever worked with a Server 2003? You WILL find server tested and licensed drivers. And I meant the software support because he said what OS support is needed and I tried to explain what he is up to use/try.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Ever worked with a Server 2003? You WILL find server tested and licensed drivers. And I meant the software support because he said what OS support is needed and I tried to explain what he is up to use/try.
*sigh*

That's not the point, is it? It's not about whether I worked with a windows 2003 server, nor if there exists drivers that are tested and licensed for that server.

It's rather obvious the guy just wants to know what drivers to use *in general*. That's why he gave a list of winXP, vista, win7, win8 etc. That's because for standard programs and devices the VAST majority only has those; you will hardly see 'win 2003 server driver' mentionned among those.

Long story short: out of his list, if he uses the drivers for winXP, he has the most chance that they'll work.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope. It depends on what he tries to install. For LAN you can try XP, but 2k is maybe a bit more stable depending on the hardware.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Nope. It depends on what he tries to install. For LAN you can try XP, but 2k is maybe a bit more stable depending on the hardware.
Ermm...may I refer you to his first post, and read it again? He asked : XP, Vista, or win7 or 8...2k didn't even appear in his list. Which isn't surprising, because you have the same issues with it as with drivers for a 2003 server: some exist, but it's not commonly incorporated as a driver in standard software or with devices.

I too, if you would re-read carefully, said: "out of his list, if he uses the drivers for winXP, he has the most chance that they'll work"

Thus. As said: XP.

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

EmuandCo wrote:Nope. It depends on what he tries to install. For LAN you can try XP, but 2k is maybe a bit more stable depending on the hardware.
So, despite the initial kernel target, driver support seems pretty neutral as long it doesn't go above 6.x?
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

middings

Post by middings »

I found a web page named Windows Server Catalog, clicked the Hardware Testing Status button, then under the Processor architecture menu at the bottom left of the page I clicked Windows Server 2003 (x86). That brought me here. This appears to be the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for Windows Server 2003.

I could not find the Windows Server 2003 HCL on any microsoft.com page. The windowsservercatalog.com site appears to be Microsoft's current location for HCLs of currently supported versions of Windows Server. (Extended support for Windows Server 2003 R2 ends in the U.S. on 14 July 2015.)

Perhaps the information here will help doctortonic and others.