Release testing for 0.3.16

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Black_Fox

Re: Release testing for 0.3.16

Post by Black_Fox »

Doors wrote:And the SVN# of the 0.3.16 release?

Do you happen to know it?
In http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?view ... sion=62053 you can see that it is r61930.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Doors

Post by Doors »

Thank you very much.
Now I can go make my own ISO image by copying the previous release images format.

I cheat a little.
I put up a subdomain for reactos releases.
I extract the ISO images and wait a few days for google to index them.
Then I can use google to explore the structure of reactos and the changes between releases.

I have a local copy in my dev VM of course, but google is a faster way to find something completely new or help me narrow my search.

Thanks again.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Or you could use grepWin.
Doors

Post by Doors »

Z98 wrote:Or you could use grepWin.
I have tried to use grep in the past, wasn't aware there was a windows version.
I simply find the tool unusable, I don't think that way.
As for those that do get along with it, enjoy!!

The bulk of my text searching I do with Ztree, a win32 clone of the old xtree.
Bulk editing I do with notepad++, I find the bulk search and replace in all open files exceedingly useful.

We all have to do what works for us.
I also find 'ls' nearly unusable in its default configuration, yet everyone else seems to like it.
I have to disable the automatic subdirectory searching and other stuff to use it.

I just tinker at projects like this to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for the SVN#, I have my svn copy there and am doing what I do.
I prefer to match the source to the version I am studying, it works better for me.
Marzz

Post by Marzz »

Webunny wrote: ".. in the end, I think it also important to give a 'lively' impression, with updated news on the main page, where everyone can read up on it in understandable terms, summarized and succinct...than to refuse to put an hour or two in it and just waste the potential it has to attract new people.
I agree as well, but don't Z98 and others already put in major effort to do precisely this? The blogs on the homepage are very cool and updated every other day or so. They really give a great overview of where ReactOS currently stands in terms of "usability" (e.g. the latest blog), and, besides perhaps some info about the ReactOS roadmap and the bigger projects that devs are currently working on, I don't see any need for change?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Marzz wrote:
Webunny wrote: ".. in the end, I think it also important to give a 'lively' impression, with updated news on the main page, where everyone can read up on it in understandable terms, summarized and succinct...than to refuse to put an hour or two in it and just waste the potential it has to attract new people.
I agree as well, but don't Z98 and others already put in major effort to do precisely this? The blogs on the homepage are very cool and updated every other day or so. They really give a great overview of where ReactOS currently stands in terms of "usability" (e.g. the latest blog), and, besides perhaps some info about the ReactOS roadmap and the bigger projects that devs are currently working on, I don't see any need for change?
Certainly, and I said in my former post that the other reads were quite interesting and certainly an improvement on how it used to be. The reaction was more towards the suggestion of using irc-logs as a way to see 'updated' news concerning the actual ROS-improvements. Overall, I agree things look a lot more 'lively' on the mainpage than it used to be.

That said, the topics in the blogs there are rather broad, and mostly don't deal with actual details and updates concerning the development of ROS itself (aka, what is new, what is fixed, how devs have looked at things to improve, what has been said during the last meeting, summarizing the changelog and it's importance, etc., like is the case with the newsletter. Each 'read' has it's own forte and area of expertise, thus. But now that a new version is out, I think it would be time for another newsletter as well.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Everything that would traditionally go into a newsletter is currently going into the blogs.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Webunny wrote:
Marzz wrote:
Certainly, and I said in my former post that the other reads were quite interesting and certainly an improvement on how it used to be. The reaction was more towards the suggestion of using irc-logs as a way to see 'updated' news concerning the actual ROS-improvements. Overall, I agree things look a lot more 'lively' on the mainpage than it used to be.

That said, the topics in the blogs there are rather broad, and mostly don't deal with actual details and updates concerning the development of ROS itself (aka, what is new, what is fixed, how devs have looked at things to improve, what has been said during the last meeting, summarizing the changelog and it's importance, etc., like is the case with the newsletter. Each 'read' has it's own forte and area of expertise, thus. But now that a new version is out, I think it would be time for another newsletter as well.
Well, Blogs and News try to cover the needs of two kind of readers: Users and Coders. Lately we're posting 2-3 news/info at week. Blogs and News tries to sumup the visble results of the ongoing works. Attaching a Blogger to a Developer( so the blogger can log about How the Dev is doig things) or pushing aDeveloper to blog, just ends in slowering the develoment rythm.

For those who needs much more info about what is happening daily, I highly recommend to join #reactos or #reactos-dev. :)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Z98 wrote:Everything that would traditionally go into a newsletter is currently going into the blogs.
I forgot to add that section into my RSS reader, fixed that now. Thanks a lot, I was missing all these last month's blogs!