Release testing for 0.3.16

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonzoMD

Re: Release testing for 0.3.16

Post by gonzoMD »

eersoy93 wrote:Why you release 0.3.16 in hurry? The pages (http://www.reactos.org/wiki/0.3.16 and http://www.reactos.org/wiki/ChangeLog-0.3.16) are incompleted.

ADDING:

My impressions of this release:
  • There is only one wallpapaer in the ISO's.
  • LiveCD crashes on starting on VBox 4.3.6.
NOTE: In my opinion, "Enabling the Lautus theme causes non-Latin characters to be printed as blocks." and "Installation on VMware with a USB controller causes a blue screen." should be blocks the releasing. 0.3.16 should be re-release.
They have their reasons, if you would follow the IRC discussions, you would know why.
These blockers can be fixed for 0.4.
A release is important now.

EDIT: More important is that it is not visible that a new release came out. no News or any other reminder (at least on German language).

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Very promising release. First install had no BSOD on VirtualBox. Just graphical glitches. It also felt a lot more snappier.
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gonzoMD wrote:
eersoy93 wrote:Why you release 0.3.16 in hurry? The pages (http://www.reactos.org/wiki/0.3.16 and http://www.reactos.org/wiki/ChangeLog-0.3.16) are incompleted.

ADDING:

NOTE: In my opinion, "Enabling the Lautus theme causes non-Latin characters to be printed as blocks." and "Installation on VMware with a USB controller causes a blue screen." should be blocks the releasing. 0.3.16 should be re-release.
They have their reasons, if you would follow the IRC discussions, you would know why.

EDIT: More important is that it is not visible that a new release came out. no News or any other reminder (at least on German language).
It would be nice to have a short update on the why's and why nots for those that don't constantly lurk in the irc chans as well, though. Maybe in a new newsletter?

And..also on the english page it's not all updated, it still reads: "ReactOS 0.3.15 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes." instead of 0.3.16.

As for the Dutch page; I'm still waiting to see the main page active there (now, if you go there, one might get the impression nothing has been translated), and also the stuff about the tabs/links under 'navigation' of course...
Last edited by Webunny on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

gonzoMD wrote:

ADDING:

How can I follow IRC discussions?

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Webunny wrote:And..also on the english page it's not all updated, it still reads: "ReactOS 0.3.15 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes." instead of 0.3.16.
That's because 0.3.16 hasn't been released yet. The results of the Release Candidate testing will determine when 0.3.16 is released.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DOSGuy wrote:
Webunny wrote:And..also on the english page it's not all updated, it still reads: "ReactOS 0.3.15 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes." instead of 0.3.16.
That's because 0.3.16 hasn't been released yet. The results of the Release Candidate testing will determine when 0.3.16 is released.
Then why does it say:

"ReactOS 0.3.16 Released
Submitted by Z98 on Thu, 02/06/2014 - 05:00
The ReactOS Project is pleased to announce the release of version 0.3.16. "

It's either released or it isn't; you can't have it both ways. If it's only about the RC, than it should be mentioned as such. But I doubt it is, because the first RC was already more then a week ago. Ergo, the most logical conclusion would be they actually mean what they say, and it's the launch of the official 0.3.16 version today. In which case, my former remark was completely valid, and on the mainpage (above) it wasn't updated yet.

It's all pretty logical, really.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Ah, I didn't see that announcement. Apparently 0.3.16 was released within the last few hours with no forum announcement.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

psilbern

Post by psilbern »

I just tested the release build of 0.3.16 and the graphical issues installing the virtual box guest additions is no longer happening.

Doors

Post by Doors »

Installed 0.3.16 in Vbox from ISO: It installed & configured quick.

The only real issue on install other than the graphics ones was the following.
When exiting the C:\ properties I get the following.
It doesn't cause a crash 'per se', but takes two clicks to get rid of.

---
unknown exception:80004005
Context: ShellBrowser::OnTreeItemRClick()
Location:C:/Users/ firek_000/workspace/reactos/0.3.16.reactos/base/shell/explorer/shell/shellbrowser.cpp:422
---

The only other issue for install at all was networking.
Where would I suggest that redheat's virtio virtual networking drivers be included.
I use them with my windows in VM installs.
It detected the virtual ethernet card on install, but had no drivers.
I was unable to delete and redetect, or update drivers either one.
I did a quick reinstall with the virtio drivers on a secondary CD, then navigated to them and they installed fine.
If they had been included it would have saved a few steps is all.

Under annoyances is Vbox's share isn't working, but that is an annoyance not a real problem since the guest additions went right in.

Wish I had the skill set to really contribute, but i am a hobbyist at C/C++, not a real programmer.

Hope this helps.

Doors.

Iamwithin

Post by Iamwithin »

I saw your announcement of ReactOS version 0.3.16 on Distrowatch
and thought I would give it a test.

While the Virtualbox edition worked all right, I could not get either of the .iso's to install.

I burned the regular iso and the Live iso and both reported errors and would not install.
Before you ask, yes, I tried 4 different downloads and 4 new CD's. None of them would install to my Hard Drive.

I have a dual core desktop computer with 4 gigs Ram, ATI video and Intel Sound.

This really looks like a promising project but it will not install.

And just so you know I installed 45 OS's or more in the past year
and currently have 5 OS's on my HD.

Thank you for your time.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

It really can't be stressed enough that ReactOS is currently in alpha stage and is not ready for every day use. One of the limitations is that it's not very good at handling partitions or dual/multi booting, which is what many people who try to install ReactOS on real hardware do in order to test the OS without losing their primary OS. You didn't specify if you were trying to install ReactOS to a hard drive with multiple partitions, but you mention having 5 OSes on your current HD. If you were trying to install ROS to a hard drive with other OSes on it, you're more likely to have success -- and will no longer be in danger of destroying the other OSes -- if you install ReactOS on a dedicated testing computer with no other partitions or operating systems.
Last edited by DOSGuy on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iamwithin

Post by Iamwithin »

Ah, so it's like Windows and wants to be the only game in town. :-)

All right, I'll try that.

Thanks.

Iamwithin

Post by Iamwithin »

Okay so I deleted my Hard Drive and did not format it so it was completely empty.

Next I tried to install the regular .iso from DVD drive.
First attempt I received this error: Can't load boot driver 'system32\drivers\nomidebug.sys'! (not sure of sp)
[OK]
Second attempt received this error: Error reading NLS file!

So I attempted the Live CD,
and received this error: Opening hive file failed!
[OK]

Trying again with HD formatted to Fat32 did not help.

So where to go from here?
I would really like to see this on my hardware.
Thanks

oswetto

Post by oswetto »

Iamwithin,
please open bug in our bug traker: https://jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa and add log file.
See https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging