Release testing for 0.3.16

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Re: Release testing for 0.3.16

Post by oldman »

Z98 wrote:Note also that if you are adding things to the USB testing page and you're using real hardware, you need to specify the USB controller chipset. Telling us "real hardware" doesn't do much good.
This is what linux returns in hardware info for the usb:
USB Controller : nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
USB Controller : nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
USB Controller : nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])

What in the above info is any good for inserting into the usb wiki, and which column? Do you need to add an extra column for chipsets or should the relevant info go in the "Configuration" column?
I used the first wiki entry as a template.

I have tried an optical usb wheel mouse, but Ros did not find it and I could not get the drivers for it to install.
This situation my change when I am able to install the motherboard drivers, but usb controllers are not in the list of devices for the driver package.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Chipset information should be in platform, as specified on the page:

Platform: Which virtual machine or hardware USB controller on host machine.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

@Reactionist: I would be careful about the wording of "ReactOS is a GNU GPL attempt to reinvent their own Windows XP replica from the sources of NT kernel in their possession." in your review. That sounds like ReactOS has Windows NT kernel source code in their possession, which would be illegal. ReactOS is cleanroom reverse engineered, which is 100% legal.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

DOSGuy wrote:@Reactionist: I would be careful about the wording of "ReactOS is a GNU GPL attempt to reinvent their own Windows XP replica from the sources of NT kernel in their possession." in your review.
:shock: :shock: I still don't get how/where people find so badly erroneous information like that...
DOSGuy wrote:That sounds like ReactOS has Windows NT kernel source code in their possession, which would be illegal. ReactOS is cleanroom reverse engineered, which is 100% legal.
Thanks for the clarification DOSGuy

milon

Post by milon »

Tests on real hardware, using a Shuttle XPC All-In-One. Specs: http://us.shuttle.com/x50.aspx
Note 1: The [] part near the end is a single-character outline of a box. It's my best attempt to represent it.
Note 2: The Shuttle XPC has only USB peripheral ports, which "die" when it crashes. Because of this, I can't issue the 'bt' command.
Note 3: No optical drive forces me to use a USB flash drive to test.

livecd-61776-dbg.iso
Debug (Screen) wrote:4
(drivers/usb/usbehci/hardware.cpp:1104) Waiting 100 milliseconds for port to st
abilize after connection
(drivers/usb/usbuhci/hardware/cpp:905) [UHCI] ResetPort Id 1
(drivers/usb/usbuhci/hardware/cpp:938) Waiting 20 milliseconds for port reset
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:314) [USBUHCI] SCE Request B70FD818 Tran
sferBufferLength 8 Flags 3 MDL 00000000
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:325) [USBUHCI] Port 0: Status 301, Chang
e 1
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:333) [USBUHCI] Change state on port 0
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:325) [USBUHCI] Port 1: Status 100, Chang
e 1
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:333) [USBUHCI] Change state on port 1
(ntoskrnl/io/pnpmgr/pnpmgr.c:4028) IRP_MN_QUERY_PNP_DEVICE_STATE failed with st
atus 0xc00000bb
(ntoskrnl/io/iomgr/driver.c:697) ZWOpenKey() failed with Status C0000034
(drivers/bus/pci/pdo.c:1289) Enabling command flags for PCI device 0x1e on bus
0x0: None
(drivers/bus/pci/fdo.c:586) Unknown IOCTL 0x9
(drivers/bus/pci/fdo.c:586) Unknown IOCTL 0x14
atus 0xc00000bb
(ntoskrnl/mm/ARM3/sysldr.c:3007) ZWOpenFile failed for '\SystemRoot\System32\dr
ivers\vbemp.sys' with status 0xc000003a

*** Fatal System Error: 0x0000007b
(0xF78BEA24, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
[]-[7h"
Entered debugger on embedded INT3 at 0x0008:0x8094f108
kdb:>
bootcd-61659: Boot options were not given. I prepped & installed it onto a flash drive using Rufus v1.4.3 (same as for the 61776 test above). After the initial loading screen (ends with loading boot drivers), the screen goes black and the USB ports have no power. Seems to have crashed, but I can't boot into Debug (Screen) mode to get any more information.

EDIT - So many typos! I think I fixed them all...
Last edited by milon on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Reactionist

Post by Reactionist »

DOSGuy wrote:...That sounds like ReactOS has Windows NT kernel source code in their possession, which would be illegal. ReactOS is cleanroom reverse engineered, which is 100% legal.
I could've accepted your criticism unequivocally but just for one thing: reverse engineering with a view to making the sources public is 100% illegal likewise. You may legally reverse engineer exclusively to educate your own self. Educating others and/or making your means for reverse engineering a particular copyrighted program available to others is 100% illegal too. I don't know where you come from but were it the Unated States you should be waiting for the law knocking at your door any time soon, given your "reverse engineering" here and the GNU GPL license and open-sourcing elsewhere throughout the rest of this site. So be careful with the term "reverse engineering" in your casual speech on public forums.

I will certainly not use it as you're suggesting on my forum in connection with ReactOS that I've been following for at least 4 years and admiring to the point of actually registering on this site to publish something. I will however change my wording to "re-creation" to preclude any hints to alleged illegality which may be detrimental to ReactOS' reputation and the community's common cause.

This statement also addresses your advocates in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, this polemics ends here and now as completely off-topic with respect to what the topic starter intended to see in this thread.

Regards,
Mike
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.6GHz i5 Core Quad, 16GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 650Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM; Win 7, 8.1, 10 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

milon

Post by milon »

I also tested livecd-61659-dbg.iso just in case it let me choose the boot mode. It did, so here's a Screen dump.
LiveCD(Screen) wrote:(drivers/usb/usbehci/hardware.cpp:1104) Waiting 100 milliseconds for port to st
abilize after connection
(drivers/usb/usbuhci/hardware.cpp:1161) [UHCI] SetPortFeature PortId 1 Feature
(drivers/usb/usbuhci/hardware/cpp:905) [UHCI] ResetPort Id 1
(drivers/usb/usbuhci/hardware/cpp:938) Waiting 20 milliseconds for port reset
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:314) [USBUHCI] SCE Request B70FD818 Tran
sferBufferLength 8 Flags 3 MDL 00000000
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:325) [USBUHCI] Port 0: Status 301, Chang
e 1
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:3981) There was no pending IRP for SCE.
Did the usb hub 2.0 driver (usbhub2) load?
(lib/drivers/libusb/hub_controller.cpp:333) [USBUHCI] Change state on port 0
atus 0xc00000bb
(ntoskrnl/io/pnpmgr/pnpinit.c:319) IopOpenRegistryKeyEx() failed with Status C0
(drivers/bus/pci/pdo.c:1289) Enabling command flags for PCI device 0x1e on bus
0x0: None
(drivers/bus/pci/fdo.c:586) Unknown IOCTL 0x9
(drivers/bus/pci/fdo.c:586) Unknown IOCTL 0x14
atus 0xc00000bb
(ntoskrnl/mm/ARM3/sysldr.c:3007) ZWOpenFile failed for '\SystemRoot\System32\dr
ivers\vbemp.sys' with status 0xc000003a

*** Fatal System Error: 0x0000007b
(0xF78BEA24, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
[]-[7h"
Entered debugger on embedded INT3 at 0x0008:0x8094f108
kdb:>
The [] at the end is the same square character, and the " is actually a floating-double-period character that I also can't seem to replicate.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Reactionist wrote:I could've accepted your criticism unequivocally but just for one thing: reverse engineering with a view to making the sources public is 100% illegal likewise. You may legally reverse engineer exclusively to educate your own self. Educating others and/or making your means for reverse engineering a particular copyrighted program available to others is 100% illegal too. I don't know where you come from but were it the Unated States you should be waiting for the law knocking at your door any time soon, given your "reverse engineering" here and the GNU GPL license and open-sourcing elsewhere throughout the rest of this site. So be careful with the term "reverse engineering" in your casual speech on public forums.
Nope, reverse engineering of software is protected in the U.S. by the fair use exception in copyright law. It is absolutely legal to create a program with identical functionality to or compatibility with another closed source program. If you're typing your posts on a PC that wasn't made by IBM (or Lenovo), you just proved that clean room reverse engineering is legal in the US! Phoenix Technologies successfully clean room reverse engineered the PC BIOS back in the 1980s. Because it was created with no knowledge of the IBM PC BIOS source code, the resulting Phoenix BIOS was different from the IBM code, but operated identically. Because they used a clean room technique, even if some sections of code did happen to be accidentally identical, there was no copyright infringement. Phoenix was legally able to sell its BIOS to companies like Compaq, and the market was soon flooded with IBM-compatible PCs (i.e. "clones") and there was nothing IBM could do about it. Of course, long before the IBM PC came along, Zilog reverse engineered Intel's 8080 processor and made a fortune selling 8080-compatible Z80 processors. The Z80 (and CP/M, whose BIOS calls were later reverse engineered by Tim Paterson in a little product that later became MS-DOS) virtually created the personal computer market that IBM later cashed in on, so anyone who owns a computer owes a debt to the legal reverse engineering of both software and CPU instruction sets.

Since ReactOS's source code was created with no knowledge of Microsoft's copyrighted source code, it is legal for ReactOS to be open source. ReactOS is a program that does what Windows does, just like a Dell is a computer whose BIOS does what an IBM computer's BIOS does. It's perfectly legal for LibreOffice to be compatible with Microsoft Word documents, and for 7-Zip to be compatible with PKZIP archives. The MAME project hasn't gotten into any trouble for reverse engineering the hundreds of arcade platforms that MAME emulates, the MESS project hasn't gotten into any trouble for reverse engineering the hundreds of computer platforms that MESS emulates, the Wine project hasn't gotten in any trouble for reverse engineering the Windows API, and it's equally legal for ReactOS to reverse engineer the Windows kernel.

If the police were coming, they would have come about 10 years ago. Suffice it to say that ReactOS has worked very hard to ensure that all of its activities are legal. There are already many threads where this is explained, and yes, this is off-topic, but you made a blatantly false statement about the legality of the ReactOS project and it needed to be corrected. To learn more, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_en ... f_software, or consult a copyright lawyer.
Last edited by DOSGuy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DOSGuy wrote:
Reactionist wrote:I could've accepted your criticism unequivocally but just for one thing: reverse engineering with a view to making the sources public is 100% illegal likewise. You may legally reverse engineer exclusively to educate your own self. Educating others and/or making your means for reverse engineering a particular copyrighted program available to others is 100% illegal too. I don't know where you come from but were it the Unated States you should be waiting for the law knocking at your door any time soon, given your "reverse engineering" here and the GNU GPL license and open-sourcing elsewhere throughout the rest of this site. So be careful with the term "reverse engineering" in your casual speech on public forums.
Nope, you're wrong. It is absolutely legal to create a program with identical functionality to or compatibility with another closed source program. If you're typing your posts on a PC that wasn't made by IBM (or Lenovo), you just proved that clean room reverse engineering is legal in the US! Phoenix Technologies successfully clean room reverse engineered the PC BIOS back in the 1980s. Because it was created with no knowledge of the IBM PC BIOS source code, the resulting Phoenix BIOS was different from the IBM code, but operated identically. Because they used a clean room technique, even if some sections of code did happen to be accidentally identical, there was no copyright infringement. Phoenix was legally able to sell its BIOS to companies like Compaq, and the market was soon flooded with IBM-compatible PCs (i.e. "clones") and there was nothing IBM could do about it. Of course, long before the IBM PC came along, Zilog reverse engineered Intel's 8080 processor and made a fortune selling 8080-compatible Z80 processors. The Z80 (and CP/M, whose BIOS calls were later reverse engineered by Tim Paterson in a little product that later became MS-DOS) virtually created the personal computer market that IBM later cashed in on, so anyone who owns a computer owes a debt to the legal reverse engineering of both software and CPU instruction sets.

Since ReactOS's source code was created with no knowledge of Microsoft's copyrighted source code, it is legal for ReactOS to be open source. ReactOS is a program that does what Windows does, just like a Dell is a computer whose BIOS does what an IBM computer's BIOS does. It's perfectly legal for LibreOffice to be compatible with Microsoft Word documents, and for 7-Zip to be compatible with PKZIP archives. The MAME project hasn't gotten into any trouble for reverse engineering the hundreds of arcade platforms that MAME emulates, the MESS project hasn't gotten into any trouble for reverse engineering the hundreds of computer platforms that MESS emulates, the Wine project hasn't gotten in any trouble for reverse engineering the Windows API, and it's equally legal for ReactOS to reverse engineer the Windows kernel.

If the police were coming, they would have come about 10 years ago. Suffice it to say that ReactOS has worked very hard to ensure that all of its activities are legal. There are already many threads where this is explained, and yes, this is off-topic, but you made a blatantly false statement about the legality of the ReactOS project and it needed to be corrected. To learn more, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_en ... f_software, or consult a copyright lawyer.

Indeed. Theoretically, one could write a book of 1000 pages independently, and even if it would turn out to be exactly the same as an already existing book, it could still not be considered copyright-infringement - if one truly had written it from scratch without prior knowledge. Such a thing would be next to impossible, of course, seen the extremely slim chance of creating a verbatim copy pure at random/chance. But the point is, if you write something of your own, it isn't copyright-infringement if you really wrote it yourself (and can prove it too), even if it's the same as something else.

Reverse engineering is, of course, not a random process, but it's allowed in most Western countries in some form - including the US and Europe.

Patents, however, are something else. I'm not sure how well-guarded Reactos is against softwarepatents? It's not a problem (yet) in Europe, since softwarepatents there are in a legal limbo and very from country to country, and are seldom trying to be enforced (because in many cases, it's stroked down), but in the US it's a real pain in the ass. Even 'business ideas' can be patented, there. Patents are also much broader than copyright, and even if Reactos came by it totally on its own, if it breaches a patent, it still could be sued, even though the underlying code was reversed engineered or even completely original.

I've actually been wondering about that myself. If XP has several patents covering it, and reactos wants to be a clone; wouldn't it also breach those patents? One could maybe circumvent and try workarounds, but the more one does that, the more one deviates from the original, with all possible (in)compatibility-issues as a result.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Patent law is a whole other matter, and even farther off-topic. Let's save that conversation for a more appropriate thread.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DOSGuy wrote:Patent law is a whole other matter, and even farther off-topic. Let's save that conversation for a more appropriate thread.
Sure, but what thread would that be?

Maybe z98 can even make an article about copyrights/patents related to ROS development on the newssection on the frontpage.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Webunny wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:Patent law is a whole other matter, and even farther off-topic. Let's save that conversation for a more appropriate thread.
Sure, but what thread would that be?
Probably a new one, in off topic or general discussion.

Marzz

Post by Marzz »

On topic: I recently installed ReactOS 0.3.16 in Virtual Box on a Mac OS-X host (my first experience with ReactOS). First I ran into some known problems -> installing fails if you change some of the localization settings, -> the desktop only refreshes with F5, -> explorer_new doesn't have a working start-menu, -> FireFox cannot set itself as default browser. Then I tried to install some software that I require for my work:

1. OpenBUGS (http://openbugs.net/w/Downloads) - Installs fine, but doesn't start.
2. BlackBox Component Pascal compiler (http://www.oberon.ch/blackbox.html) - Installs fine, but doesn't start.
3. Java Runtime - Install crashes and corrupts the ReactOS installation.

Being new to error reporting, I'll read some of the tutorials first and see what to do next, but if someone could let me know how to start a program, please let me know! I tried double clicking on the desktop, clicking on the program in the start-menu, running executable from the task manager, etc. No crash, but the programs don't start either.

oldman

Post by oldman »

by Marzz » 26 Jan 2014 14:19
1. OpenBUGS (http://openbugs.net/w/Downloads) - Installs fine, but doesn't start.
I have down-loaded this to see how it worked in real hardware (using R61666), and I have got the same response.
Here is debug info:

Code: Select all

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2014.01.26 14:41:04 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
MainFrameBase::OpenShellFolders(): parent_pidl=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004000
(dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:4037) Current directory: C:\Program Files\OpenBUGS\OpenBUGS322
(lib/rtl/actctx.c:954) Unsupported yet language attribute (*)
[7h
Entered debugger on embedded INT3 at 0x0008:0x8094e7e2.
kdb:> bt
Eip:
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:14e7e3 (:0 (DbgBreakPoint))>
Frames:
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:13227b (include/crt/mingw32/intrin_x86.h:101 (KiInterruptDispatch))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:132660 (ntoskrnl/ke/i386/irqobj.c:313 (KiInterruptTemplateHandler))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:1cdc43 (:0 (P0BootStackData))>
<HAL.DLL:a9c1 (hal/halx86/up/processor.c:61 (HalProcessorIdle))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:10e935 (ntoskrnl/po/power.c:377 (PopIdle0))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:1345ef (ntoskrnl/ke/i386/thrdini.c:323 (KiIdleLoop))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:1336eb (ntoskrnl/ke/i386/kiinit.c:679 (KiSystemStartupBootStack))>
<0000000e>
Couldn't access memory at 0x00097B20!
kdb:> cont
(dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:4037) Current directory: C:\Program Files\OpenBUGS\OpenBUGS322
fixme:shell:OnNotify LVN_KEYDOWN key=0x00000009
fixme:shell:OnNotify LVN_KEYDOWN key=0x0000004b

Eip:
Frames:
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:13227b (include/crt/mingw32/intrin_x86.h:101 (KiInterruptDispatch))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:132660 (ntoskrnl/ke/i386/irqobj.c:313 (KiInterruptTemplateHandler))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:1336eb (ntoskrnl/ke/i386/kiinit.c:679 (KiSystemStartupBootStack))>
<0000000e>
WARNING:  NtNotifyChangeMultipleKeys at ntoskrnl/config/ntapi.c:997 is UNIMPLEMENTED!
WARNING:  BackupRead at dll/win32/kernel32/client/file/backup.c:33 is UNIMPLEMENTED!
WARNING:  BackupRead at dll/win32/kernel32/client/file/backup.c:33 is UNIMPLEMENTED!
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000004

Eip:
Frames:
<0000000e>
MainFrameBase::OpenShellFolders(): parent_pidl=C:\Program Files\OpenBUGS\OpenBUGS322

Eip:
Frames:
<0000000e>
fixme:shell:OnNotify LVN_KEYDOWN key=0x0000004b

Eip:
Frames:
<0000000e>

I think these are the relevant lines:
Looks like something is not implemented.

I tried 5 different ways to launch the programme.
Desktop icon - double clicking with left mouse button, right mouse button click Open.
Start menu, programs, OpenBUGS menu item.
In the program folder, OpenBUGS.exe icon - double clicking with left mouse button, right mouse button click Open.

I can't find a down-load link at the 2. BlackBox Component Pascal compiler (http://www.oberon.ch/blackbox.html) site.

Java installs for me, and as done for long time now, with the exception of odd revisions, but Netbeans installer never finds it!

If you want to use the above debug log for your Jira issue, feel free to do so. I can also open an issue in jira for you, if you want me to do that.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Marzz

Post by Marzz »

Thanks! Please post it for me ;)
Strange, the BlackBox compiler can be downloaded from the suggested webpage (the link to version 1.6 is approx. in the middle of the page).
And based on your comments I again tried to install Java JRE, this time with the latest ReactOS development build and with Java JRE downloaded from oracle.com instead of java.com. Alas I still got the same crash (blue screen of death). The files were called "jxpiinstal.exe" and "jre-7u51-windows-i586.exe". I read the "Debug via Windows using Putty" tutorial but couldn't find an easy OS-X alternative on how to produce the debug reports (?) Is there a guide or should I preferably install Windows & Putty for this?