Release testing for 0.3.16

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

Re: Release testing for 0.3.16

Post by DOSGuy »

You can refresh the desktop to see the new icons by pressing F5.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Hmm. Was usb supposed to work with the 0.3.16 RC?

Because I tried it a bit out, and put usb-sticks in the front, in the back, when it runs and before it starts up, and nothing seems to work. At least, I don't see anything that would give a sign the OS recognised there was an usb put in. I'm talking about real hardware testing here.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

There seems to be a bug, yeah. According to the log it's mounted and given a symbolic link, but it's not there... 1st stage setup sees it though.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes

oldman

Post by oldman »

My HP usb stick works well in revision 61666 with my generic AMD computer (https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs), but does not work at all in my old Pentium 2 computer (usb 1.1).

I have tried my camera with my generic AMD computer, but that fails to be recognized and throws a bsod when I sent the computer down for a re-boot.

Edit:
The computer can no-longer be used; I will have to re-install.
The problem is, the computer starts to boot but fails with an assertion, then goes back to bios and attempts to boot again and fails. It is stuck in this loop until it is switched off.

Code: Select all

Assertion 'KeyCell->Signature == CM_KEY_NODE_SIGNATURE' failed at /srv/buildbot_cmake/full_cmake/build/lib/cmlib/cminit.c line 115
I have added it to CORE-6574 https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-6574#comment-56322
Last edited by oldman on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

One thing to note is if you are installing ReactOS on physical hardware, our built in drivers may or may not work with the USB controller. You may need to go grab the drivers from the vendor first.

oldman

Post by oldman »

Z98 wrote:One thing to note is if you are installing ReactOS on physical hardware, our built in drivers may or may not work with the USB controller. You may need to go grab the drivers from the vendor first.
I have been trying for months to install the boards nVidia drivers, but they always fail!

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:
Z98 wrote:One thing to note is if you are installing ReactOS on physical hardware, our built in drivers may or may not work with the USB controller. You may need to go grab the drivers from the vendor first.
I have been trying for months to install the boards nVidia drivers, but they always fail!
Besides... usb camera's not withstanding, but for normal USB data-sticks... do you even get drivers nowadays? I remember the very first had drivers included, but it's been ages since I saw any drivers included with usb-storage devices. It's all auto-recognised by windows these days.

I dunno... can't one (im)port generic drivers from somewhere (linux, windows...)?

The 0.3.16 RC seems a decent build for being an alpha release, but I think ameliorating the usb-experience would be a good thing before making it a definite release.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The USB controller is the thing that's built into the motherboard. I'm not talking about the USB sticks themselves.

If the driver installation fails, get a debug log so that we can try to look at it.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:The USB controller is the thing that's built into the motherboard. I'm not talking about the USB sticks themselves.

If the driver installation fails, get a debug log so that we can try to look at it.
If you're specifically/only talking about the usb controller on the motherboard; wouldn't that show up on the device manager if there was something wrong with it?

Anyway, current drivers I have now are for sound and lan (but those work). I'll have to look for others.

Even if there is a bug, I would need to set up a second rig (I do have a null modem cable now) for getting debug info.

oldman

Post by oldman »

Z98 wrote: If the driver installation fails, get a debug log so that we can try to look at it.
I have now created a issue for the driver installation problem, https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7810

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I wouldn't really trust our device manager to display all relevant information at this point. If your USB devices aren't being detected when plugged in, it could be anything from the pnp manager not working to the driver for the controller not working. The only way to tell is to look at the debug output.

oldman

Post by oldman »

I have today, tried to install a Epson DX2400 scanner/printer, but the installation fails because it is not found.
Before anyone tells me, I know that printing is not there in Ros, but it was worth a try, because it connects via a usb port.
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7811

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Note also that if you are adding things to the USB testing page and you're using real hardware, you need to specify the USB controller chipset. Telling us "real hardware" doesn't do much good.

Reactionist

Post by Reactionist »

Hello community,

I'm new here and I'm not perfectly sure if the following will pass for a comprehensive report but anyways, here it goes.

1. I didn't have the nerve to test v0.3.16 on my HW so I decided to try it in a VMware Workstation or Player (v8.0.1/v4.0.1, respectively) under my XP first. Any attempt to install the iso under any VMware product or VirtualBox version earlier than v4.3.6 failed invariably with a logon failure after installing Gecko. VirtualBox v4.3.6 however did allow me to istall and boot into ReactOS successfully provided I didn't touch any logon settings except for the user name and password. Fiddling with other logon options froze the installation completely.

2. Once logged on, I was able to set up the desktop preferences to my liking.

3. In most applications, Lautus-skinned horizontal and vertical scrollbars behaved spuriously, that is they didn't seem to behave at all, so I switched back to my usually preferred Sandy Classic.

4. As usual, a desktop icon of Task Manager was my best friend.

5. The rest of the story goes in the following review.

Regards,
Last edited by Reactionist on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(3.6GHz i5 Core Quad, 16GB RAM / 2 x nVidia GTX 650Ti SLI-bridged, 2GB VRAM; Win 7, 8.1, 10 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

"ReactOS' riched20.dll isn't complete so Eclecta needs XP's original DLL in order to run properly):"

ReactOS uses wine riched20.dll. Using XP's is okay, is't known as a workaround by wine.