Thorium (ROS distribution) on kickstarter

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fLuXx

Thorium (ROS distribution) on kickstarter

Post by fLuXx »

How come no one has posted anything here (nor do I see anyone talk about) the Thorium kickstarter? It's started by Aleksey Bragin. What's going on? Why has it had such a slow start?

Here's a link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tho ... ud-desktop
oldman

Re: Thorium (ROS distribution) on kickstarter

Post by oldman »

Have you not seen this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12715, It's from a few months ago now. And here is a link http://www.thoriumgroup.com/ to the Thorium website.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

I must have missed it. Anyway, shouldn't it be on the front page?
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

fLuXx wrote:How come no one has posted anything here (nor do I see anyone talk about) the Thorium kickstarter? It's started by Aleksey Bragin. What's going on? Why has it had such a slow start?

Here's a link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tho ... ud-desktop
Have you backed? If not - thats the real reason of slow start///
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

wow! nice!!! i also missed it, i can't back because of lack of money :'( but i will share the project with everyone i can!
milon

Post by milon »

I'm also a little disappointed that there has been no official announcement here about it. But I understand - it's the holidays and the end of the year and there's server downtime coming tomorrow and everything is nuts right now. I'm sure an official announcement will come out before long.

Anyway, as PascalDragon pointed out months ago:
PascalDragon wrote:...
@Fireball: On the contact page the E-Mail address seems to be written incorrectly. Currently it's "kickstarter@thoriumgorup.com" while I suspect it should be "kickstarter@thoriumgroup.com".
Could someone flag that to Alex or whoever would be in charge of changing it? Everyone who tries to contact them is going to get a bounced email and that will NOT be good for PR.
Heis Spiter

Post by Heis Spiter »

It's fixed.
Unless I missed the page you're talking about.
Pierre Schweitzer (aka Heis Spiter)
ReactOS kernel developer.
ReactOS systems administrator.
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

I backed it. It's gone up from zero, but still pretty slow. Let's promote it some more.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well... does that surprise anyone?

Kickstarter is about something SEXY for the MASSES. That's how it works. RIDICULOUS projects can gain backing IF they are SEXY for the MASSES:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461 ... death-star

The description of "Thorium" on Kickstarter is... "WTF is that?" is the first thing that comes to mind. There are SEVERAL things wrong with it:

a) "Thorium"?! Seriously?! Why not Strontium or Hafnium?! What does THAT name have, even remotely, to do with ReactOS or Windows? - You have a "brand" - and throw it away? Why? (Yes, SOMEWHERE, LATER, "ReactOS" is kinda mentioned. But that is not at all "SEXY".)

b) ReactOS is a desktop OS. But what do I read? - MOBILE? EMBEDDED? WHAT?! Yes, perchance "one day". So far, you have difficulties with 7zip in a virtual machine. NOBODY knows what THIS shall be all about! Simply say, "hey, we want to make a desktop OS like Windows". As primitive as that - that the MASSES would understand! NOBODY "needs" another mobile OS - or embedded OS for that matter. Why? Because of ANDROID! (Don't come with delusions how you can push it off the throne...) Android is in HEATERS and BOOKREADERS (Tolino Shine I think).

c) WAY too long and unclear. WHAT do you need 120kUSD for? It's not like you are saying, "these are 2 man-years of work which are estimated to be needed in order to boot on most real hardware into VESA with generic mouse, keyboard and network drivers and generic printer support". You BLAH BLAH about something that ... is inconsistent! If you battle Windows, you will need 120kUSD * 10000 in order to have a chance. - If you were sincere, "we want something primitive, but useful", you would be way more credible. Same for a "mobile OS" - Mark Shuttleworth is doing his best and cannot "just come up with a mobile OS"! And then there is FirefoxOS, and a desperate Inferno hoping to get into that business, and-and-and... It's not like there's a "lack of mobile OSes".
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thorium might be a play on words. Thor was one of the mythological gods. The god of thunder if I remember right, thus a fitting name for a cloud OS.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

Aeneas wrote:b) ReactOS is a desktop OS. But what do I read? - MOBILE? EMBEDDED? WHAT?! Yes, perchance "one day". So far, you have difficulties with 7zip in a virtual machine. NOBODY knows what THIS shall be all about! Simply say, "hey, we want to make a desktop OS like Windows". As primitive as that - that the MASSES would understand! NOBODY "needs" another mobile OS - or embedded OS for that matter. Why? Because of ANDROID! (Don't come with delusions how you can push it off the throne...) Android is in HEATERS and BOOKREADERS (Tolino Shine I think).
While I agree that the Kickstarter page is definitely not that "attractive" you are wrong with that. It's not about having ReactOS be a new mobile OS, but having ReactOS as a "cloud OS" where you can run your Windows applications and their view is streamed to mobile devices, desktops etc. (like Remote Desktop). (this can be seen on the Thorium homepage, sadly this is not as clearly reflected on the Kickstarter one...)

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
The_French_Rat

Post by The_French_Rat »

PascalDragon wrote:
Aeneas wrote:b) ReactOS is a desktop OS. But what do I read? - MOBILE? EMBEDDED? WHAT?! Yes, perchance "one day". So far, you have difficulties with 7zip in a virtual machine. NOBODY knows what THIS shall be all about! Simply say, "hey, we want to make a desktop OS like Windows". As primitive as that - that the MASSES would understand! NOBODY "needs" another mobile OS - or embedded OS for that matter. Why? Because of ANDROID! (Don't come with delusions how you can push it off the throne...) Android is in HEATERS and BOOKREADERS (Tolino Shine I think).
While I agree that the Kickstarter page is definitely not that "attractive" you are wrong with that. It's not about having ReactOS be a new mobile OS, but having ReactOS as a "cloud OS" where you can run your Windows applications and their view is streamed to mobile devices, desktops etc. (like Remote Desktop). (this can be seen on the Thorium homepage, sadly this is not as clearly reflected on the Kickstarter one...)

Regards,
Sven
Like Chrome OS?
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Yeah, but the idea is illusionary. ChromeOS? I can only say... Google! (I.e. Google pushing with violent intent and uncountable resources against its own staggering success with Android.) Do we have GOOGLE? No, we have... "Thorium group".

And when you call it "Thorium group", do you mean - as would Google - too much caviar on your private jet before the meeting, or do you mean... TWO guys? (Yes, TWO, instead of the 20-something devs that ReactOS ACTUALLY counts "officially".) When I read about some unknown Russian-American "group" of TWO guys, I am thinking of those who send you the mails about Tatyana & Sonya being in love with you, the ones about quick ways to make money, and about ways to enlarge your boobs AND penis. And the photos... seriously?! Alexey has BETTER pics, and surely there is something SOCIAL like, from some free OS event (after all, they DID do such stuff in Chemnitz, didn't they?).

I find it exasperating what a GREAT project ReactOS is, and how it plain SUCKS at marketing - your Wikipedia page is way more attractive than your Kickstarter page. The kickstarter page basically screams "SCAM!"
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

Aeneas wrote:Well... does that surprise anyone?[...]
Aeneas wrote:Yeah, but the idea is illusionary. ChromeOS?[...]The kickstarter page basically screams "SCAM!"[/b]
+1
I just love this project, but I notice the same problems as this guy.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The Thorium Kickstarter contains basic errors that make it look like a garage project instead of a company. I know right now it partially IS a garage project, but come on! :)
There is no video on the landing page and the video linked in updates has very low-quality sound. Because of the bad sound I have a hard time understanding Aleksey, even though I have some English skill and am a native speaker of another Slavic language (so that his accent should not be an issue). The video mentions another pledge level that does not exist. Those are mistakes that any 3rd-party review would find out in 10 minutes, if the page would have been "proofreaded". Which is a shame, given that 10-20 people on the forums are willing to help in PR with anything that doesn't require producing new content.

On the other hand, I very much like the ROS render in the video and the concept of the Kickstarter page being a Christmas gift. Alex Ionescu's video of ReactOS is very good to see on the page. Also the today's press release has a very professional wording, well done!

I wonder what will happen in the meantime since Kickstarter end to the July 2014 to make ROS suddenly work good enough for professional usage, but I'm looking forward to it. Thorium Core and "Thorium Core Virtualized Desktop" (ThorTop?), you have my backing!