Samba-TNG - What happened

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Samba-TNG - What happened

Post by oldman »

This morning I followed this link
http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/11/12 ... developers
from the 'Ionescu's talk in Montreal' forum post here at ReactOS and I came across this post,
samba tng ported to w32 (Score:5, Interesting)
by lkcl (517947) <lkcl@lkcl.net> on Tuesday November 12, 2013 @10:53AM (#45401269) Homepage

reactos was the real reason why i ported samba-tng to w32, using mingw32 to compile it up. worked absolutely great. unfortunately you cannot effectively run samba-tng/w32 under windows (without changing the port numbers) because the ports 137, 138, 139 and 445 as well as the critical NamedPipe services are already occupied... by microsoft's implementation of SMB as well as microsoft's implementation of the critical MSRPC logon services (LSASS, NETLOGON and so on) without which it would be flat-out impossible to even log in to the box in order to see if the services were running!

likewise unfortunately because wine has had to implement MSRPC (completely independently), although it would run successfully you likewise would have to change the MSRPC pipe service names as well as the TCP and UDP port numbers of the endpoint mapper (port 135) because wine has had to implement \PIPE\winreg, \PIPE\srvsvc and many others which are *also* implemented in samba-tng.

the amount of cross-over between samba, wine and reactos at the core fundamental networking level (much of NT's design was based around networking and RPC services, even when run as a stand-alone system), is just crazy. especially when you consider that it takes about 250,000 lines of hard-core intensive c code just to get even the _fundamentals_ of MSRPC correct. it's been over twelve years so i've had to stop letting people know about the duplication of effort and just let them get on with spending their time learning the hard way that they're working on exactly the same thing... without sharing any effort between them.
within the article, which I have only quoted about 2 thirds.

I remembered that a few years back, there was some collaboration between Samba-TNG and ReactOS. My question is, what happened to this collaboration?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
ekohl
Developer

Re: Samba-TNG - What happened

Post by ekohl »

Collaboration? Just read his posts on the Ros-dev List fom September 2005 (https://www.reactos.org/archives/public ... hread.html). He's a real team worker.
oldman

Re: Samba-TNG - What happened

Post by oldman »

ekohl wrote:Collaboration? Just read his posts on the Ros-dev List fom September 2005 (https://www.reactos.org/archives/public ... hread.html). He's a real team worker.
Enough said.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.