Reactos 0.4 will be released in Q1 of 2014 ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

Reactos 0.4 will be released in Q1 of 2014 ?

Post by cruonit »

This is only a discussion don't take it seriously

When we look at the release cycle of reactos
0.3.9 2009-04-26 24MB minimum RAM, faster hyperspace mapping, initial sound support
0.3.10 2009-07-05 initial SATA support, USB keyboard/mouse support, Paint clone, initial MSVC.[24][25]
0.3.11 2009-12-16 kdcom rewrite; Chinese/Korean fonts; compatibility updates; sound system improvements
0.3.12 2010-10-20 trap handler rewrite; timer and message handling rewrite; NMI support; SxS support; partial EMS support[26]
0.3.13 2011-03-22 heap manager rewrite, improved SATA support, fixed graphics issues[27]
0.3.14 2012-02-07 ACPI enabled by default, WiFi support (unencrypted and WEP), theme support, new TCP/IP driver (LwIP),
0.3.15 2013-05-30 ....

it takes about a year to ship the next "release" of reactos (i know this is only a branch you can use also daily builds) and the dynamics is dependent on the developer free time and if we look at the objectives of 0.4.0:

Primary Objectives
Complete theme support in both the shell and USER32 managed UI elements.
Completion of shell32 to allow use of explorer_new.
More complete USB support along with documentation explaining how to determine whether a USB device is likely to work or not.
More complete sound support along with documentation explaining how to determine whether a sound card is likely to work or not.
Improved networking support and more user friendly setup of wireless network access.

The only thing that can be exactly defined is explorer_new/shell32 and gadamopoulos & co. does a great job working on explorer_new and if they keep that tempo we could expect a nice working version of explorer_new till Q1 of 2014.

Also the SAM / multiuser support( i would add this as a feature in 0.4.0) is on the way and could be somekind of ready till Q1 2014

(NTVDM/FAST486 with this tempo will also be soon finished).

just a forecast / fiction. What do you think about it ?

gonzoMD

Re: Reactos 0.4 will be released in Q1 of 2014 ?

Post by gonzoMD »

maybe I am a pessimist but I don't really think that the explorer_new dependencies will be completed until Q1 of 2014.

mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Sorry, but i don't see what those improvements justifies "0.4", but yes "0.3.16".

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Either 0.4 or 0.3.16, it is something to look forward to. 8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

mametoc wrote:Sorry, but i don't see what those improvements justifies "0.4", but yes "0.3.16".
Well what happened already since 0.3 is more than a 0.4 IMO

Technically there are so many big things added since then (Yarotows, Audio, USB, CSRSS Rewrite, NPFS Rewrite and much more) and so many bugs got fixed that were more or less disturbing (Firefox Download Bug, MSHTML Bug, BSODs caused by Memory overflow bugs, Harddisk incompatibility which got fixed by newer UniATA version) Dozens of Wine Syncs.
This Mass of improvements justifies 0.4 at any rate.

What I think what is missing is the first impression that let possible contributors and users think "Wow!".
This is why I would like to seenat least explorer_new and maybe Default Theming as target for a new Minor Release.

mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Well i still think what at this point just a new explorer to 0.4... plus this one would impressive:

http://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7481

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well, frankly, I was also looking at this issue... the last release *is* already half a year ago, for two months I have seen no news... and naturally, one wonders what's up. In the internet there are jokes that ReactOS 1.0 will be released when the universe dies its thermal death.

I must, however, absolutely consent with this:
What I think what is missing is the first impression that let possible contributors and users think "Wow!".
This is why I would like to seenat least explorer_new and maybe Default Theming as target for a new Minor Release.
It must be a "workable system". Something that you turn on and think, "Well, it is surely the child of XP and Windows 2000, but it seems OK." Yeah, yeah, I know, "alpha stage" and all that, but you must understand, we need something BEFORE human evolution transforms our species. ;)

I am actually a bit sorry that the April 2014 deadline for a kind-of-workable-system will by far not be met. We are clearly sailing into "the new FreeDOS"-territory.

janl

Post by janl »

Some developers say (and they are competent) priorities are common cache (CC) and memory manager (MM). Fireball started new imlemetion in C++. Would not be cheaper to patch current code? Naturally fireball has no binding contract - it is his dicision. In year 2014 should come new contracts - Reactos winter of code (allusion to GSoC :)). In budget will be about 20 k. CC and MM are much worth than 20 k. Budget is not very big, will be interesting how contracts push Reactos towards..

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

janl wrote:Some developers say (and they are competent) priorities are common cache (CC) and memory manager (MM). Fireball started new imlemetion in C++. Would not be cheaper to patch current code? Naturally fireball has no binding contract - it is his dicision. In year 2014 should come new contracts - Reactos winter of code (allusion to GSoC :)). In budget will be about 20 k. CC and MM are much worth than 20 k. Budget is not very big, will be interesting how contracts push Reactos towards..
I get the impression that the new branch of the MM is more for education and testing. It might end up in ROS, but I tend to doubt it. I see it more on par with ARWINSS, just an alternate way to do it. Not necessarily the best, but perhaps more compatible in some things.

I do hope there is a fair way to do the contracts and similar incentives to help accelerate production speed. We only have so many and everyone has lives outside of ROS. So incentives can help those who want to seriously help the project instead of overtime or a second job or whatever.

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I think that a single, huge and really boosted campaign for 2014 would bring to ReactOS twice the donations recieved in 2012...

¿What do you think?

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I do hope there is a fair way to do the contracts and similar incentives to help accelerate production speed.
Yes, that would be the main issue. Also, the "education" point you made, Purplegurl, was right on the spot.

Outside of this community there exists the view, "ReactOS does nothing big, they mainly do bug fixes and smaller adjustments - their code is a mess and they do not understand it themselves." I do not think that is very fair, but it is not easy to counter, either. I mention this because if you want more donations, people want to see tangible success.

I think we really need a 0.4.0 for publicity. (Even IF you have reasons it rather to be a 0.3.16.) Also, the various mentionings of ReactOS as Sourceforge's Project of the Month etc. are very helpful - I can now talk about ReactOS without having to "excuse" it non-stop.

I am also thinking, when contracts have run for a time, can a little "list of things accomplished" be made? That could directly show people "what has been done for their money".

zydon

Post by zydon »

Honestly, I doubt 0.4 Release will be so soon in Q1 of 2014. A proper time would be at least in Q3 but with proper plan that involves Application Developers feedback massively to provide better delivery of Win32 APIs as planned for 0.4 Release. With the current progress and lack of responses from any know Application Developers, releasing 0.4 at all in 2014 will not get any better than 0.3.15 shy release.

I don't really know how far the PR team would be able to attract Application Developers to participate to test the APIs extensively, an alternative approach could be made by providing an additional SVN "*_adp" (Application Developer Prototype) build. The build that provide an open source compilers with it and it's accompany Win32 samples to be build under ROS environment such as GCC, FreeBasic and/or others.

Once App developers give some feedback about how those APIs should behave and thorough discussion about how to fix them, the final result would at least satisfying everyone else who know nothing about the development.

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Q1 is way, way, way to specific for a project such as ReactOS. While 2014 is my projection too, I have no idea what mounth, week, or day it'll be. Despite the recent progress, I still have second guesses on a 2014 release, again, because of a project as unpreditable as this. Even 0.3.15 had it's delays.
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Perhaps the century is too specific as well... *sarkasm*

ImperialSpectre

Post by ImperialSpectre »

I thought that the version naming scheme was removed due to the August newsletter http://www.reactos.org/node/703 - could a developer of ReactOS confirm that this is the case if it is then you won't have v0.4 or v0.5 it would be named to something different.