Storage Management, is there any plan?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: Storage Management, is there any plan?

Post by PurpleGurl » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 pm

PascalDragon wrote:
PurpleGurl wrote:
erkinalp wrote:No, single registry entry will suffice for a mount point even in a FAT FS, with different semantics though. You know that kernel does not use the drive letters internally, they still remain because programmers of Windows ME applications wanted so.
I mean being able to fake at JBOD/RAID stuff using the OS to do it (rather than drivers or dedicated hardware) is what require reparse points unless my understanding is off.
No, reparse points are not needed. RAID/JBOD is handled on a lower level (see here).
PurpleGurl wrote:And yes, I understand how the drives are addressed internally using adapter addresses and port addresses. However, not all software can address things that way.
I prefer to go with \Device\HarddiskVolume1 instead of the adapter and port addresses ;)

Regards,
Sven
Again, I was saying OS emulated as you keep missing. So JBOD-like, not the true thing. Again, you misunderstand me. I was using the terms symbolically, not literally. I was talking about EMULATION at the OS level of using reparse points to hide the fact of separate volumes - something XP does. That was what I was talking about the entire time. If you truly knew me, you'd take for granted that I KNOW that TRUE RAID and TRUE JBOD is done at a lower level. I don't like to debate, and I bow out of my discussion with you.

PascalDragon

Re: Storage Management, is there any plan?

Post by PascalDragon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:48 am

PurpleGurl wrote:Again, I was saying OS emulated as you keep missing. So JBOD-like, not the true thing. Again, you misunderstand me. I was using the terms symbolically, not literally. I was talking about EMULATION at the OS level of using reparse points to hide the fact of separate volumes - something XP does. That was what I was talking about the entire time. If you truly knew me, you'd take for granted that I KNOW that TRUE RAID and TRUE JBOD is done at a lower level. I don't like to debate, and I bow out of my discussion with you.
Rereading your previous post make it clear to me now. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you. :oops:

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer