ReactOS And IObit Winmetro

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

betaluva

ReactOS And IObit Winmetro

Post by betaluva »

i installed Winmetro from iobit.com just for fun,it sort of works ( i thought it worked pretty well considering the fact that ReactOS does many things differently to Windows ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKycH5LP8js
Zc456

Re: ReactOS And IObit Winmetro

Post by Zc456 »

Suggustion: EPIC WIN thread next time. Anyway, very awesome!
Stay frosty, Squeaks.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nice one. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

footnote: i forgot to change the default resolution before i tried this app so i changed the resolution to 1440x900 and i got the whole Startpage to display,it was then that i noticed that it also has the 'Charms Bar"
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i never did like the metro look. :(
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Dave3434 wrote:i never did like the metro look. :(
I think you'll eventually get used to it. At first I disliked it badly, and now I (aesthetically) love it. I still find it impractical for a keyboard+mouse desktop, but looks wise I love it.
Of course, if you don't like it, nobody (well, only MS) pretends to force it to use it.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

no thanks i'll stay true to the desktop and the keyboard and mouse.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Dave3434 wrote:i'll stay true to the desktop and the keyboard and mouse.
WIMP :lol:
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i just don't like having to re learn on how to use my computer.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

So basically you don't want to become either a programmer or a sysadmin.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

that's not what i said, i just don't like metro.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Dave3434 wrote:i just don't like having to re learn on how to use my computer.
But it sounds strange as stay whit a crank to start an engine instead use a simple key (or button) just becouse is not wanted learn how to put in and turn on/off.
Last edited by mametoc on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Being a programmer or a sysadmin is about constantly learning new ways to use a computer. Every programming language in theory represents a new way or at the very least variations of an old way. Very few programmers can get away with knowing only one language and those that demonstrate an inability to learn more than one language often turn out to be pretty crappy developers.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I agree. I don't want to be forced to learn how to use my PC differently either. It isn't like going from crank start to electric start, but more like having your arms amputated and being forced to do everything with your teeth. (And no disrespect is intended towards those who are differently abled and must use their PCs that way.) I tried using a laptop a friend got through a rental service. I hated the click pad on it and the gesture driver for the pad that tried to decide for you what you were trying to open. I hated having to use the Start key to get to the old style stuff, and hated that there was no easy to use Window, but a long sea of icons. I hated how they tried to hide the important stuff and dumb the rest down for the computer ignorant. Great marketing move I suppose, but a royal middle finger to all the loyal customers who preferred it as it was. Microsoft deliberately crippled 8 and removed a few of the APIs to keep even 3rd party shell replacements from working. At least the beta had backdoors for stripping the metro crap out.

I also hate how some are trying to dumb down the Internet to be more compatible with tablets and all. I had a rude awakening the other day when I noticed what they did to the many Yahoo! Groups I hosted. They all look like a cross between Google Groups and Windows Explorer for Win 3.1. They removed most of the features, bragged about it being "easier," when it is really much harder to use and nothing works as expected. You could delete messages in tagged groups (like in most email programs and sites), but now, the only way to delete posts is to open each one. You don't have the ability to effectively manage files, users, photos, etc., and you can't even download the photos from the groups (not easily, though the Prt Scrn button still works for that...). I don't like this trend online nor for my own PC.

Edit: Please delete the other post. The site was lagging and I pushed send twice not realizing the first time was taking.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Yes, forced to re-learn might be obnoxious but estimulating for others, i don't like GNULinux, but if i discovered in MS-DOS golden era i probably liked it, but claim "i'll stay true to the desktop and the keyboard and mouse." and "i just don't like having to re learn on how to use my computer." can be easily interpreted: "as i'm fine as is, any perspective to re-learn will be canned", wich is unrealistic as maybe you don't like but you will be forced to adapt -or not- in a future. And if the crank example isn't not useful, maybe jump from MS-DOS to MS-Windows (or viceversa in my case)?.