Media player Classic on Github

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Re: Media player Classic on Github

Post by erkinalp »

We already have Gecko based Wine "Internet Explorer". But yes, Gecko is the most standards-compliant HTML engine.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Neither FF nor MPC will be included into ROS by default. Aus, Ende, Öpfl ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Guys, when ReactOS is ready for primetime there will be distros that come with software pre-installed to make it more useful "out of the box", either from the ReactOS website or external sources. Until then, anything that you add to the build increases the size of every download -- five per commit! At this point, ROS should only include what's necessary for testing, not tools to make it suitable for everyday use. Any ROS user is free to download those applications after installation is complete anyway. For now, ROS should be lean and clean; a small operating system with low system requirements that can serve as the basis for custom distributions when the time comes. I absolutely agree that ReactOS should include a media player when it becomes suitable for everyday use, and I hope that there will be a download that includes MPC when ROS goes post-beta, in addition to a barebones "nothing you don't want" option for users who don't mind going online to get the applications they want.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

DOSGuy wrote:I absolutely agree that ReactOS should include a media player when it becomes suitable for everyday use, and I hope that there will be a download that includes MPC when ROS goes post-beta, in addition to a barebones "nothing you don't want" option for users who don't mind going online to get the applications they want.
But it results in a unconcrete number (large) of variants of ReactOS isos to want meet everybody as:

-Download ROS rel (whitout wine-gecko).iso

-Download ROS rel-win.iso

-Download ROS rel-media center (whitout wine-gecko).iso

-Download ROS rel-media center-win.iso

-Download ROS rel-media center-driverspack (whitout wine-gecko).iso

-Download ROS rel-media center-win-driverspack.iso

-etc...

Noooooooo... (not mention LiveCD and -dbg)

Two isos one of them whit -working- web browser is ok. Warning to include to iso so many specifics source code app/drivers i don't wanna see in ReactOS any (key) source code app/drv turned into a trust thanks to ReactOS.
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Bout' time they moved to Github.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Aus, Ende, Öpfl ^^
*loooll* hey this was not english.. this was more dirty ...*lol* :mrgreen:

Emu, don't forget who use ROS at last, for who it is create Reactos..
you are (Programmer and Enduser/Extended User) should work together, and not against..
your behavior allows the user to to desired ... the enduser be not the enamy, the endusers
be you are (the Programmers) Partners and should be Respected ! An the wishes also ...

And the Reaction against Microsoft should be an Reaction against Microsift also not only be on price ..
But, if the users whant, should they are it become also .. because, Reactos it is programmed
for all the Users who be by Microsoft ripped off have been were also .. it is not so ?

So, should it be an partnership between the Users and the Programmers ..
(and not only "Weeeee MMMake it .. Weee be the "one" ), you see ..
So schould you are, who build it up, work together the Users ..

because..

They use you Programm..

best regards
Blacky
mattsharp

Post by mattsharp »

Blackcrack wrote:
Aus, Ende, Öpfl ^^
yeah.. but the difference is, that THAT was on purpose...
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

mametoc wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:I absolutely agree that ReactOS should include a media player when it becomes suitable for everyday use, and I hope that there will be a download that includes MPC when ROS goes post-beta, in addition to a barebones "nothing you don't want" option for users who don't mind going online to get the applications they want.
But it results in a unconcrete number (large) of variants of ReactOS isos to want meet everybody as:
I didn't mean for every commit! I'm talking about adding a second "Installation CD" option to the End-user packages (full releases): "barebones" and "with common software pre-installed". As z98 pointed out, ReactOS has no users right now. When it reaches 1.0, we'll want ReactOS to be used by more than just power users. Half of the world uses IE because they don't know how to install a browser! Microsoft recognized, and we should recognized, that a significant portion of the world will judge an operating system based on what it can do out of the box, because they don't know how to install their own software. Even most popular Linux distributions include (or have an option to include) basic necessities like a browser, an email client and a media player. They understand that Linux will never have any significant market share if only power users know how to use it. Most of my family members only know how to check their email. For most people, if ReactOS isn't able to check their email, go to Facebook/YouTube, and play their MP3s and videos, they'll say "this sucks" and re-install Windows. Yes, computer illiterates can be frustrating, but they still represent the majority. Perhaps they always will.

Of course, it's not actually necessary for the ReactOS team to make such an option available. I'm sure that there will be ReactOS "mega builds" that include a pre-installed browser, email client and media player on external websites. If ReactOS isn't useful enough by default, someone else will make a custom distro to meet the demand. It's fine either way, as long as someone does it.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

DOSGuy wrote:Of course, it's not actually necessary for the ReactOS team to make such an option available. I'm sure that there will be ReactOS "mega builds" that include a pre-installed browser, email client and media player on external websites. If ReactOS isn't useful enough by default, someone else will make a custom distro to meet the demand. It's fine either way, as long as someone does it.
Sure, but as you said. NOT in the current state. There are just NO end users right now.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

mattsharp wrote:
Blackcrack wrote:
Aus, Ende, Öpfl ^^
yeah.. but the difference is, that THAT was on purpose...
right.. but was also funny.. an mix with english and german.. but how ever.. he want no more about..
and whant end the theme..from his perspective.. and as Programmer from Ros ..
and want prefer to kill the thema ..
EmuandCo wrote: Sure, but as you said. NOT in the current state. There are just NO end users right now.
now not .. but they want come .. like an Avalanche .. if that is around speaks, you can use ReactOS ...
and on this step mus be the application installed, because on the other hand gives the Users an bad reputation for reactos ..

best regards
Blacky
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Considering we're years away, we have plenty of time to not bother.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

I didn't mean for every commit! I'm talking about adding a second "Installation CD" option to the End-user packages (full releases): "barebones" and "with common software pre-installed". As z98 pointed out, ReactOS has no users right now. When it reaches 1.0, we'll want ReactOS to be used by more than just power users. Half of the world uses IE because they don't know how to install a browser! Microsoft recognized, and we should recognized, that a significant portion of the world will judge an operating system based on what it can do out of the box, because they don't know how to install their own software. Even most popular Linux distributions include (or have an option to include) basic necessities like a browser, an email client and a media player. They understand that Linux will never have any significant market share if only power users know how to use it. Most of my family members only know how to check their email. For most people, if ReactOS isn't able to check their email, go to Facebook/YouTube, and play their MP3s and videos, they'll say "this sucks" and re-install Windows. Yes, computer illiterates can be frustrating, but they still represent the majority. Perhaps they always will.
Ok, but are you sure the target people you described can easily manage a second "Installation CD" and even burn an iso and install ReactOS themselves?.

Of course, it's not actually necessary for the ReactOS team to make such an option available. I'm sure that there will be ReactOS "mega builds" that include a pre-installed browser, email client and media player on external websites. If ReactOS isn't useful enough by default, someone else will make a custom distro to meet the demand. It's fine either way, as long as someone does it.
Agreed, but a future scenario whit mountains (as GNULinux) of ReactOS distros maybe generates confusing suffice to "re-install Windows" too (or even try install ReactOS as posted previously), even if in www.reactos.org had a ROS mega-build iso.

Off course the know effective method is put a ReactOS mega-build into every computer sold and let the user in peace as MS does.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

People who aren't "literate" will get their CDs and stuff from friends. Or they might order through a distribution service. I once ordered copies of Linux that way. Sure, it is open source, but paying for it to be in CD/DVD form sometimes has its advantages. So someone might say to a friend, "Hey, install this, this is just like Windows." Then they install it and none of the basics they are used to are there. There is no IE icon on the screen, no WMP anywhere, etc. But they can always play Solitaire...

Just like I already have a browser and media player when I install Windows, why not the same amenities when installing ROS without having even more stuff to download? I already have to download enough stuff as it is upon rebuilding my system. And a browser is pretty much needed. Windows 7, while very stable, does have some serious bugs related to System Protection (System Restore under XP) and the file subsystem (like eventually losing the ability to partition drives or assigning drive letters). So I hosed it trying to fix those. Well I lost my driver CD since I just moved. Luckily I did have an old laptop someone gave me which has a cooling problem. I was able to keep it on just long enough to download the network driver for this computer onto a USB drive. Then I installed the network driver onto this one. That enabled me to immediately use this PC to get the rest of the drivers for this PC, since IE comes with Windows and is right there on the screen. No RAPPS to get it, no typing, no digging, it is there on the screen.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

mametoc wrote:Ok, but are you sure the target people you described can easily manage a second "Installation CD" and even burn an iso and install ReactOS themselves?.
As PurpleGurl said, someone else burns the CD. Before I knew squat about computers, I could put a floppy disk or CD into the computer and follow the instructions to get through the OS installation process. The installer will need to do more detection and ask less questions when the time comes but, as z98 said, it's still years away.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You know, this insistence on a decision being made "now" just baffles me. By the time the current discussion's issue has any relevance, the situation and ecosystem will have likely changed significantly to the point where even if we remembered what the decision was, it likely wouldn't apply. As such, why are people so intent on expending so much energy on the issue now?