Re: Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:32 pm

I understood you, but you mentioned the word cape, and I think a cape is a good idea.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

tomleem

Post by tomleem » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:24 pm

There was a Captain Warp that was the 'mascot' for OS/2 Warp by IBM. Perhaps a super hero with a cape and having the ROS logo on the shirt? 8-) His mission would be to save people from bloated over priced operating systems? :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

fred02

Post by fred02 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:28 pm

tomleem wrote:There was a Captain Warp that was the 'mascot' for OS/2 Warp by IBM.
Apparently he did not win the contest.
tomleem wrote:Perhaps a super hero with a cape and having the ROS logo on the shirt? 8-) His mission would be to save people from bloated over priced operating systems? :ugeek:
At this rate let take ROS-chan :mrgreen:
But we do need new ideas, since the puffin is taken. (Thank you Z98 for pointing this out).

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:50 am

If we can't have a puffin, why not just huffin? Someone huffing and puffing mad, someone who is reacting. Like a protester with their fist in the air. (And no, not with a rude finger up, and not a stiff arm salute, nor anything controversial.) But we'd have to be careful of giving them a slogan, since "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," is already taken (it is a movie quote, I think).

milon

Post by milon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:48 pm

PurpleGurl wrote:If we can't have a puffin, why not just huffin? Someone huffing and puffing mad, someone who is reacting. Like a protester with their fist in the air. (And no, not with a rude finger up, and not a stiff arm salute, nor anything controversial.) But we'd have to be careful of giving them a slogan, since "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," is already taken (it is a movie quote, I think).
I don't think that's the image we want to be known by. We shouldn't be angry if we've got an awesome alternative to MS. We should be happy/confident/etc.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 am

milon wrote:I don't think that's the image we want to be known by. We shouldn't be angry if we've got an awesome alternative to MS. We should be happy/confident/etc.
Good point. I guess there are better ways to React...

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm

fred02 wrote:But we do need new ideas, since the puffin is taken. (Thank you Z98 for pointing this out).
I can't find where Z98 (or anyone else) pointed out that the puffin was taken.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

middings

Post by middings » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:02 pm

fred02 wrote:I can't find where Z98 (or anyone else) pointed out that the puffin was taken.
Earlier, Webunny suggested naming a puffin mascot Puffy. You replied that the OpenBSD team already call their pufferfish mascot Puffy. People here seemed to take that to mean a puffin mascot is not allowed.

If anybody is up for coding a puffin, here is a starter kit.

"Talk is cheap, show me the code."
Linus Torvalds

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:23 pm

There's this little something called google: http://www.puffinbrowser.com/

That was the SECOND search result that came up.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Z98 wrote:There's this little something called google: http://www.puffinbrowser.com/
That's a browser, not an OS. If we can't use any animal that any other type of software is using, we're probably going to be limited to animals discovered within the last few weeks.

This Wikipedia article lists no puffin mascots for computing, or any other category. A Google search for "OS that has puffin mascot" returned no useful results, and this thread was the fourth result. I found an Opera (browser) puffin, but I think it's safe to say that there is no puffin mascot for any well-known OS.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Tell that to the Python Project and the whole blowup with a company using the Python name for their product.

And I'm still waiting to hear of a good argument for why a mascot is needed or desirable at this point. Until I get a convincing one, this effort will go nowhere.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:32 am

I can't find any information about that, no matter how creative I get with my search terms. I know that Python is a popular programming language. If I was a member of the Python Software Foundation, I would indeed by annoyed if someone created a company or product named Python that could create confusion with the Python programming language. If someone created a company or product with a distinct name and chose a python as their mascot, I think they would have to suck it up. Apple doesn't own the exclusive right to use an apple as their logo, and no one owns the exclusive right to use the python, or any other animal, as their logo.

As for why a mascot would be beneficial to the project at this point, that's kind of like asking why marketing is good for business. When people see an unfamiliar mascot or logo, they tend to be curious about what that symbol represents. Someone might see "ReactOS" on a page of text, or hear the name mentioned in conversation and never have it reach their conscious mind. If they see a ReactOS logo or mascot, their brain may detect novelty and they might ask what the symbol represents. The inquiry causes them to learn about a project they had previously been unaware of. If they like the idea of a free and open source Windows-like operating system, they might take an action that benefits the project. That action could be among, but not limited to, any of the following:
  • Making a helpful suggestion
    Making a donation
    Filing a bug report
    Contributing a patch
    Contributing an application
    Joining the development team
    Spreading the word to someone else who does one or more of the above
Whenever the community proposes any sort of PR initiative, the response seems to be "why would [the development team] want anyone to know about ReactOS?" The simple answer is because the ReactOS community wants the project to get all of the help it can get, and I certainly hope that the development team does, too. Marketing, of course, is about return on investment. Talking about ReactOS at Google Montreal is easy to justify to the ReactOS team because it promotes the project to a group of people who have a much higher than average likelihood of being able to assist the project than the general population. Naturally I wouldn't propose that the project spend any money on marketing a ReactOS mascot to the general public, but the existence of a mascot would allow the ReactOS community to use the mascot to promote the project using their own resources, like putting an image of the mascot on their website, or printing a sticker and putting it on their notebook computer or backpack. That sort of free public advertising doesn't hurt, and might help the project. (Aside from the possibility that they might make an erroneous statement that might cause the entire development team to spontaneously combust, which is my Fear of Spontaneous Combustion Theory to explain why PR initiatives are actively discouraged by the development team.)

An ideal scenario might be a computer science student who put a ReactOS mascot sticker on the back of their notebook computer and was seen using it in the university computer room. Some fellow computer science student notices and inquires, and a new potential developer is created out of thin air (and for free), who otherwise never would have heard about the project. Free word-of-mouth advertising has been used to successfully promote independent films and other projects large and small, and even win election campaigns. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." ~ attributed to Margaret Mead.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 am

Again, how is any of this not already achievable with the existing logo?

oldman

Post by oldman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Z98 wrote:Again, how is any of this not already achievable with the existing logo?
I agree with Z98 on this topic. And look what is coming:

An hint of something to come here:
Mascot for ReactOS
by hbelusca » 10 Sep 2013 22:17
PurpleGurl wrote:
I suggested sometime back that ReactOS utilize a site such as Cafe Press to sell memorabilia. So t-shirts, mouse pads, coffee mugs, dog sweaters, stationery, pens, caps, etc.
Don't worry, don't worry...
And confirmation that something will be happening soon, here:
PR and all help-related suggestions/offers/proposals

by AmineKhaldi » 07 Dec 2013 09:03
That's spot on, and was in fact part of the website revamp that I planned, and we had this huge google document back then, with all the ideas that would make our online presence awesome. One of the ideas is to have online shop(s), and we're almost done working on one (Vic is tasked with taking care of the final retouches) but it's not finished yet.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

fred02

Post by fred02 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 am

DOSGuy wrote:I can't find any information about that, no matter how creative I get with my search terms. I know that Python is a popular programming language. If I was a member of the Python Software Foundation, I would indeed by annoyed if someone created a company or product named Python that could create confusion with the Python programming language.
They were. Fortunately, it resolved peacefully. (Well, with some coercion from the Internet community. :D )