Re: Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

fred02 wrote:
Webunny wrote:Seen what Amine says here http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 27#p104968
Point 4? No, haven't read that far, sorry, too many words. :(
Webunny wrote:we shouldn't be discouraged by any single reaction of a dev/ROS official.
Well, my feeling is that most of what Z98 says is official ROS team statement(s), especially on things such as mascots, logos or distributions. And since we are talking about it, here is my feeling on the "officialness" of statements on the forum:
  • any post by fireball: official, final (static, const (add equivalent in your favored language))
  • Z98/EmuandCo close seconds
  • vicmarcal third
Now this total IMHO. I know there are other developers posting on the forum, Amine for instance, but their posts are few and far apart, so they get lost.
Webunny wrote:As I gather it, all initiative is welcomed, there not always need to be permission (well, obviously, using a mascot for ROS would), but most importantly, I think they especially wait for some real action/performance/delivery, instead of just talking about it. Which is why - even though I goof a bit about it too - ultimately come back to the issue of: does anyone, in effect, want (=is going to) to make an effort to make a mascot for ROS?
I mean, I don't mind making fun and speaking jokingly about it, but there comes a point where one clearly has to make the point if it's ONLY as a free-wheeling chit-chat we talk about it, or if anyone is seriously going to put his shoulders under it. I'm not an artist myself, so that's why I'm asking if there are here, or if we should maybe search for them elsewhere.
Neither am I. But there is a lot of people complaining that they can not help because they know nothing about programming, this is an opportunity for them. I hope some will step forward.

(Thinking aloud) I like more and more this puffin idea. We could use its brightly colored beak to make a play on the Windows(c) multicolor window logo. We should even use the same colors, after all Linus did it with the latest kernel for workgroups(c), so there is no copyright problem. :D
Ah, and I like the English name of it. Sounds like something comfy and fluffy, giving you a warm home feeling. :P
Hmm. I see. Indeed, now that you mention it, maybe the puffin wouldn't be all that bad. The colour of the beak could be adjusted to whatever colourscheme ROS wants to use. We could call the mascot 'Puffy'. :-)

We would need a cute lil Puffy, though. So we can sell plushies afterwards. :-p

Problem remains: which artist here wants to have a go at it? And if none (are here), should we contact others and see if they want to come up with it?

Now, see, this is something that Amine doesn't understand clearly; while this is in all matters a 'side-project', you CAN NOT go through with it without some approval or nod from the higher hierarchy. Imagine going to all the trouble of finding artists, persuading them to make a cc free drawing of mascots, creating a poll and deciding the winner...

If the devs/official ROS then then says: 'nope, we don't like it'. All your effort is wasted.

No-one wants to do that, understandably.

You FIRST need to know it has approval and the devs will accept the outcome (aka; all members are equal after all, in the words of Amine), before people will start to move on it, imho. If you feel lacklustre, none, or a negative support from the dev-team, all the rest (enthousiasm, personal involvement, etc.) doesn't matter after all, for this project. And the same holds true for most other projects. I think it's a bit naïve of Amine to think that, if you say you do it out of your own name and not in the name of ROS, then everything is fine. What would be the point in that, concerning this project, for instance? Even if you do it in your own name, if the devs then say: "well, we don't care, we never asked or endorsed it and we don't accept the outcome", then none of it has had any use, and the theoretical concept of 'all being equal as members' remains a rather hollow slogan.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Webunny wrote:Seen what Amine says here http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 27#p104968, we shouldn't be discouraged by any single reaction of a dev/ROS official.
Wich implies we neighter shouldn't be encouraged by any single reaction of a dev/ROS official. Null.

My unpleasant feeling sometimes here are: "Do that, make that, build that, do this whit this, ... what?, me?... ah no men i don't know how to do it". Nowadays seems what chanching "you" by "we" on the previous phrase, magically something can be done.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Cartoon cat? :)
[ external image ]
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Your design?.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

tomleem wrote:Cartoon cat? :)
[ external image ]
That's a cat? Looks more like a fox.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Webunny wrote:Hmm. I see. Indeed, now that you mention it, maybe the puffin wouldn't be all that bad. The colour of the beak could be adjusted to whatever colourscheme ROS wants to use. We could call the mascot 'Puffy'. :-)

We would need a cute lil Puffy, though. So we can sell plushies afterwards. :-p
You gonna laugh, but this name is already taken too: http://www.openbsd.org/art4.html :oops:
Webunny wrote:Problem remains: which artist here wants to have a go at it? And if none (are here), should we contact others and see if they want to come up with it?

Now, see, this is something that Amine doesn't understand clearly; while this is in all matters a 'side-project', you CAN NOT go through with it without some approval or nod from the higher hierarchy. Imagine going to all the trouble of finding artists, persuading them to make a cc free drawing of mascots, creating a poll and deciding the winner...

If the devs/official ROS then then says: 'nope, we don't like it'. All your effort is wasted.

No-one wants to do that, understandably.
Well, that's where I disagree. :arrow: Let's go for it anyway.
As I said, in the worse case scenario the core team does not like it and ban all the perpetrators from the site. But the image will be here, and if it is any good, we still achieved something. Sure, someone used its time to draw it. Many others spend time on suggestions and voting. Yet another one sent and defended it in front of the developers. But this is how it goes in the FOSS world. Just accept it. Live with it. And keep in mind that it is nothing personal against the community.
After all, look at fireball. He already created two branches to rewrite important parts of ROS, and yet, even he is not sure that they will ever be merged with the trunk. And he is "Da Boss" :!:

Ah, almost forgot. In the best-case scenario, the core team loves the image, adopts it immediately, puts it as the default loader screen/wallpaper, orders a hundred plush toys for the next FOSS meeting.
Because of the abilities and dedication they have shown, some of the mascot designers are invited to join the PR team, others are given extended rights on the forum/site/wiki, which in turn frees the developers that add more features and squash more bugs, and then order a poster to the enlarged PR team for the famed ROS beta release. 8-)

The reality is always somewhere in between.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Or I kill it now explicitly.
tomleem

Finch as a Mascot for ReactOS

Post by tomleem »

PurpleGurl wrote:
tomleem wrote:Cartoon cat? :)
[ external image ]
That's a cat? Looks more like a fox.
It was an example from doing a Google search for 'cartoon cat'. Perhaps a cross between a cat and fox with large feet? :lol:

I did not realize a cat mascot was already taken.

Perhaps a finch as a mascot idea for ROS since it is small and fast? :ugeek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finch
[ external image ]
There is a variety to chose from and they are pretty. 8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Or I kill it now explicitly.
Careful! The enthusiasm is oozing out!!
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Whatever the (theoretical) mascot ends up being, assuming it does end up being at all, shouldn't it's name be "Ross"? 8-)
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

"What's about a handkerchief as mascot?", "what's about an owl as mascot?", "what's about a keyborad as mascot?", etc... or a mach for RectOS mascot? and call it reMatch?, "do our wanna a snail as mascot? yes fine, let's put in every ReactOS page a photograf of a snile and a message below: Is name is sNTail".
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I vote for a puffin named Ross. He could have the ReactOS logo on his belly and the Windows colors on his beak.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

DOSGuy wrote:He could have the ReactOS logo on his belly and the Windows colors on his beak.
I like this logo idea, but let not copy Linux to much (they used belly logos for different flavours/distributions). How about wings (one on each), or the back (in negative?) like a cape (but not a distinct cape).
I don't like Ross name though. :(
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

fred02 wrote:How about wings (one on each), or the back (in negative?) like a cape (but not a distinct cape).
I like the cape idea. A puffin in flight wearing a cape with the ReactOS logo on it. Like Superman!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

DOSGuy wrote:I like the cape idea. A puffin in flight wearing a cape with the ReactOS logo on it. Like Superman!
No you misunderstood me (or I was not clear enough). I was thinking about a logo strait on his back feathers, that looked like (Superman's) cape, but was actually not one, may be like spidey's, with the ROS logo in negative, since the plumage is black.