ReactOS Window Manager

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cippozzo

ReactOS Window Manager

Post by cippozzo »

So, i don't know very well how Windows and ReactOS makes the Windows. I'd like to replace the Windows or ReactOS window manager with one of Linux(Metacity)... So, how ReactOS windows manager works? I need to had more look to ReactOS XD
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS Window Manager

Post by EmuandCo »

Windows are drawn by the subsystem win32k. The shell32 is for stuff like start menu and almost any other system dialog in the base shell. Well.... you WONT be able to use any strange Linux X-Server stuff in ROS neither in Windows.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
ConductiveDielectric

Post by ConductiveDielectric »

It is not possible to use Linux window manager in an OS, based on the NT architecture.

NT 6.0+ uses the Desktop Window Manager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager) to render the GUI. In older versions of NT (ReactOS, WinXP, Win2k), the WM is implemented in win32k.sys (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... archi.mspx):
The server side functions of GDI and Window Manager, previously known as Winsrv.dll, have been incorporated into the Executive as Win32k.sys.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

You could try to port it, but even if it turns out to be possible, the amount of work it implies vastly surpases any possible benefit.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well.... you WONT be able to use any strange Linux X-Server stuff in ROS neither in Windows.
Ah... well... you know, you MAY be actually able to use it. ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

It is very remarkable just how "unixy" Windows can start to "feel" if you really want to...

EDIT: As to the "Why would I need this?"-category of questions: mostly, in order to forward with ssh -X linux apps to your windows machine, assuming you do not wish to use VNC.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Aeneas wrote:
Well.... you WONT be able to use any strange Linux X-Server stuff in ROS neither in Windows.
Ah... well... you know, you MAY be actually able to use it. ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

It is very remarkable just how "unixy" Windows can start to "feel" if you really want to...

EDIT: As to the "Why would I need this?"-category of questions: mostly, in order to forward with ssh -X linux apps to your windows machine, assuming you do not wish to use VNC.
Hmm I think that EmuandCo wanted to say, "replacing all the win32k.sys and user-mode related components (user32.dll, gdi32.dll and so on) (i.e. what makes the window management on Windows / ReactOS) by a full X-server ported to an NT operating system". Because here, xming is just a X-server layer using existing functions to create and draw windows.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Sounds reasonable enough, and I actually did not mean to propose implementing an X system (that the Unix world already tries to replace).

I just found the possibility intriguing, and have used it myself to great effect. :)
cippozzo

Post by cippozzo »

So, reactos has not very good drivers for GPUs... Maybe with a native xserver and some pieces taked from Wine , ReactOS can be more stable with GPUs, but i think it's difficult and it will not be a real NT, but a mix of NT and Unix :roll:
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You don't quite seem to understand OS architecture. ReactOS is not Unix or Linux. It's an implementation of NT. As such, window managers intended to work on Linux will by design not work on ReactOS. Anything that does not work on Windows is guaranteed to also not work on ReactOS.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

cippozzo wrote:So, reactos has not very good drivers for GPUs... Maybe with a native xserver and some pieces taked from Wine , ReactOS can be more stable with GPUs, but i think it's difficult and it will not be a real NT, but a mix of NT and Unix :roll:
That's like saying that fglrx trouble that some people have on Linux can be easily fixed by importing RDP and some pieces taken from Windows... :mrgreen:
milon

Post by milon »

cippozzo wrote:So, reactos has not very good drivers for GPUs... Maybe with a native xserver and some pieces taked from Wine , ReactOS can be more stable with GPUs, but i think it's difficult and it will not be a real NT, but a mix of NT and Unix :roll:
Using code from Wine is a great idea! And we already do that. ;)
cippozzo

Post by cippozzo »

lol, the piece of wine needed is the thing that allow to show Windows apps on the x11 desktop
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

cippozzo wrote:lol, the piece of wine needed is the thing that allow to show Windows apps on the x11 desktop
Of course, they call-back the X-server when one calls a Windows/Wine window api.
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

The other way around would be interesting. As a pure X11 Window Manager maybe too chatty and slow with too many roundtrips (not to
mention supporting all the requirements). But directly on top of KMS/DRM would be really fast and light (as a kernel module like in
Windows). QT and GTK already happily talk to GDI so...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

This thread is interesting, though not of use to the project I am afraid. It would be interesting if there was a Windows kernel with some of the Linux stuff to where none of the emulators, go-between libraries, etc. would be needed to run Linux stuff, and would thus run it with better efficiency. But that is not our project, though if someone wants to take our user mode sources and the sources to Xming or other projects and integrate their functions and make them work under native Windows, they are more than free to do so. Then instead of people bugging us to be more like Linux, there would already be a modification available for Windows to do just that, and those who want to use ROS or Windows that way would only have to drop in the modified ROS files and use the accompanying software. Whoever does that could add a user friendly installer/remover for it which would back up the original files and all and replace them upon removal.