NTVDM

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

NTVDM

Post by DOSGuy »

It looked like the NTVDM branch was merged into trunk with r59499, so I downloaded the latest build (r59502). I tried to run a DOS executable, but NTVDM didn't invoke automatically. I saw in the commit for r59497 that there's a compile-time option to invoke NTVDM manually with the target executable as a parameter, so I checked to see if it's enabled in bootcd-59502-rel.7z. I can invoke the NTVDM, which gives some memory details, and gives three options -- run, shutdown and quit -- of which only quit does anything.

I've tried "ntvdm game.exe", "ntvdm -game.exe" and "ntvdm /game.exe", but it behaves exactly the same as if I don't include any parameters: run and shutdown do nothing, so I have to quit. I've tried both EXE and COM files, but nothing happens.

By the way, "help ntvdm" just runs the NTVDM, which doesn't seem like the correct behavior. There's also no -help parameter for NTVDM, so I can't figure out the syntax. I'm basing my syntax guesses on Hermes' screenshot of a Hello, world! program JIRA.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Heis Spiter

Re: NTVDM

Post by Heis Spiter »

Unfortunately, you misread commit message for such commit.

The NTVDM branch HAS been synced with trunk. So, it is now up to date. It has not been merged into trunk.

Sorry to disappoint you. You'll have to wait a bit longer to get NTVDM in trunk.
Pierre Schweitzer (aka Heis Spiter)
ReactOS kernel developer.
ReactOS systems administrator.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Can we get a status report or a roadmap? I really want to know what's done so far and what's not. Are there any problems? How can we test the functionality to provide bug reports?

EDIT: corrected some autocowrecks
Last edited by gonzoMD on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

In the recent state you just can wait. Nothing more is needed right now. If you wanna help urgently, ask [TheFlash] in #reactos IRC if he might need you.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Heis Spiter wrote:Unfortunately, you misread commit message for such commit.
I do know the difference between sync and merge, but when I type "ntvdm" into ROS, it gives a bunch of memory information. Since I haven't seen any commits mentioning a merge of the NTVDM branch, and since there had been no work on NTVDM prior to that branch being created as far as I knew, I thought perhaps that sync also meant merge in this case. Apparently not, which raises more questions than answers. How long has that "ntvdm" readout been in trunk, and why is it there?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

DOSGuy wrote:How long has that "ntvdm" readout been in trunk, and why is it there?
It's there because it's in WinXP :-) The last larger changes to ntvdm.c are from 8 years ago, rev ~15000. Initial commit of the effort is r3662. Current work of [TheFlash] seems to me as a complete rewrite (I didn't take a closer look).
Whether the change is or isn't into trunk can be seen from the changed paths - the r59499 has "branches/ntvdm/" in all its changed paths, therefore the synchronisation must be from trunk, not to trunk.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

DOSGuy wrote:
Heis Spiter wrote:Unfortunately, you misread commit message for such commit.
I do know the difference between sync and merge, but when I type "ntvdm" into ROS, it gives a bunch of memory information. Since I haven't seen any commits mentioning a merge of the NTVDM branch, and since there had been no work on NTVDM prior to that branch being created as far as I knew, I thought perhaps that sync also meant merge in this case. Apparently not, which raises more questions than answers. How long has that "ntvdm" readout been in trunk, and why is it there?
Well, you misread the commit log, and what you are executing by running ntvdm is the old version in the trunk : http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... ems/ntvdm/ which exists since years, and which does nothing apart displaying some memory information, as you have seen.
Otherwise in revision 59499, there is no merge at all into the trunk, but a synchronization of the ntvdm branch with the code in the trunk : http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?view ... sion=59499 : "Synchronize with trunk." (and not the other way around).

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

NTVDM branch merged back to trunk in revision 63177.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

hbelusca wrote:NTVDM branch merged back to trunk in revision 63177.
So now it should work, what DOSguy was testing, right?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Webunny wrote:
hbelusca wrote:NTVDM branch merged back to trunk in revision 63177.
So now it should work, what DOSguy was testing, right?
Or not :3
But he can try now :)

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I haven't gotten any games to work yet, but at least it tries now!

oldman

Post by oldman »

I have just installed revision 63347 and found none of my test dos progs work. They just open a command window briefly (just long enough to see that it is a command window), then nothing. Before (earlier revision) I had a text editor work, but with a bug.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Can you retry with revision >= 63367 please? I fixed few things lately concerning validity of the passed command line to DOS programs.

oldman

Post by oldman »

hbelusca wrote:Can you retry with revision >= 63367 please? I fixed few things lately concerning validity of the passed command line to DOS programs.
I have done, and it's the same!
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Ok, then please provide debug logs (full ones), and report them on Jira, together with the name of the applications you've tested, and some links to where to find them.