Opening a new Hebrew sub-forum

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ArmyMan007

Opening a new Hebrew sub-forum

Post by ArmyMan007 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi,

With who do I need to contact in order to open a Hebrew sub-forum?
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom

The_French_Rat

Re: Opening a new Hebrew sub-forum

Post by The_French_Rat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 am

Not sure...
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05 pm

You should contact Ziliang (nickname: Z98 on the forums) and justify that you are many who need the sub-forum.

ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:38 pm

hbelusca wrote:You should contact Ziliang (nickname: Z98 on the forums) and justify that you are many who need the sub-forum.
Like the many Finnish, Ukrainian , Japanese or Thai people that hang around here?

Taking a closer look at the amounts of posts published there, I would guess that opening another forum couldn't possibly hurt anyone...
Last edited by ArmyMan007 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:47 pm

While you're at it, create a sub-forum for Turkish for eersoy93's translation thread.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 pm

DOSGuy wrote:While you're at it, create a sub-forum for Turkish for eersoy93's translation thread.
Agreed

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Internal conclusion:

1) Disable all language specific subforums that have had no activity for a year.
2) Create a single Localization subforum that we will allow people to post in their own language, which can be used to ask questions about both website and OS translation.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Z98 wrote:Internal conclusion:

1) Disable all language specific subforums that have had no activity for a year.
2) Create a single Localization subforum that we will allow people to post in their own language, which can be used to ask questions about both website and OS translation.
Has sense +1.

ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:18 am

vicmarcal wrote:
Z98 wrote:Internal conclusion:

Has sense +1.
I would totally agree to that. I don't mind making a sub-forum for a large community (such as the German sub-forum) and collect all the little ones into one big multi-linguistic sub-forum, but if we do that then how can I get approval for my translations? We still need some kind of a "supervisor" for each language in order to maintain control over the translations...

fred02

Post by fred02 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 pm

ArmyMan007 wrote:collect all the little ones into one big multi-linguistic sub-forum
As I understand, the idea of language-specific sub-forums is to enable people to converse in their native language. So one forum with post in differen languages would be quite disturbing and difficult to browse for everyone. On the other hand we can call it "Babylon" or "Oriental bazaar". :D
ArmyMan007 wrote:how can I get approval for my translations? We still need some kind of a "supervisor" for each language in order to maintain control over the translations...
Indeed, the person responsible for translations in your language will have to check this translation sub-forum frequently and/or tack your posts. But it should not be that difficult. There are options to follow threads automatically.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Posting translations of ROS on the forum is an incredibly inefficient way of submitting translations, as it is dependent on someone creating a Jira issue for you and attaching the patch. There are very few people with active commit access that regularly browse the forum, but there are people dedicated to trawling translation patches from Jira.

peterooch

Post by peterooch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:39 pm

For Hebrew relevant translation info, see on Jira CORE-6904,CORE-7003 and CORE-7218, and the topic in the "Localization" sub-forum,
there is already commited hebrew translations in the trunk, even a Hebrew VGA Font!
And there are several major bugs such as reversed strings, mirroring support that need to be fixed.
There much work to do.

ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Unfortunately peterooch since I don't have JIRA access I can't work around in order to create patches. And even I did had a JIRA account, I wouldn't know the first thing about making patches, let alone make any kind of debugging in the OS in order to recreate ROS in Hebrew

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Your jira account is the same as your main website account.

fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 am

Z98 wrote:Posting translations of ROS on the forum is an incredibly inefficient way of submitting translations, as it is dependent on someone creating a Jira issue for you and attaching the patch. There are very few people with active commit access that regularly browse the forum, but there are people dedicated to trawling translation patches from Jira.
Although I agree with forum's inefficiency as a solution, I've done a little research around and it's not immediately clear to me neither against what a translation patch can be submitted on Jira since here:
http://svn.reactos.org/web/trunk/www/www.reactos.org/
can not be found any of the current website's language resources[1], nor where the relevant information for website translation can be found (if there is something to be found at all). Also, on Jira ("ReactOS Online Service" Project, "Homepage" Component) aren't (after drupal migration) any new website translation submissions. Things look rather messy right now.

[1] There are of course something that look like resources, like this one here:
http://svn.reactos.org/web/trunk/www/ww ... ilds/lang/
only it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the actual website. Say the "getbuilds" german page on the actual site:
http://www.reactos.org/de/getbuilds
doesn't have the contents of that german language resource.