[suggestio] Add an exe launcher like .msi .exe

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ImperialSpectre

[suggestio] Add an exe launcher like .msi .exe

Post by ImperialSpectre »

It is becoming clear to me that ReactOS is becoming too reliant on wine, I propose for some features to be forked by the ReactOS devs. This includes a .exe & .msi - if this is forked from wine and becomes backwords compatible with ReactOS and windows applications it could prove better for ReactOS.

If such a fork isn't allowed, then I have a question then why is wine "open source", open source means it's free and can be modified and changed without any legal issues see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source .

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: [suggestio] Add an exe launcher like .msi .exe

Post by Z98 »

What?

turtleman

Post by turtleman »

Wine is GNU LGPL. Of course it can be modified and redistributed.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

ImperialSpectre wrote:It is becoming clear to me that ReactOS is becoming too reliant on wine, I propose for some features to be forked by the ReactOS devs. This includes a .exe & .msi
ReactOS relies on WINE in a way because these guys do part of the work instead of ROS devs. What exactly is your issue with .exe and .msi?

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

ImperialSpectre wrote:It is becoming clear to me that ReactOS is becoming too reliant on wine, I propose for some features to be forked by the ReactOS devs. This includes a .exe & .msi - if this is forked from wine and becomes backwords compatible with ReactOS and windows applications it could prove better for ReactOS.

If such a fork isn't allowed, then I have a question then why is wine "open source", open source means it's free and can be modified and changed without any legal issues see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source .
Such a fork is allowed, but it just doesn't make any sense. What's wrong in relying in another open source project in the areas their code is useful? It's actually considered a good practice, opposed to the NIH syndrome.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ImperialSpectre wrote:It is becoming clear to me that ReactOS is becoming too reliant on wine, I propose for some features to be forked by the ReactOS devs. This includes a .exe & .msi - if this is forked from wine and becomes backwords compatible with ReactOS and windows applications it could prove better for ReactOS.

We have Support for EXE files AND for MSI Setup Containers, whats your problem??
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

ReactOS and Wine are both open source and rely on each other.
Stay frosty, Squeaks.