Shell Development Contract

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oswetto

Shell Development Contract

Post by oswetto »

The Foundation for the Advancement of Information Technologies ReactOS Foundation (Russia) is pleased to announce a development contract with Giannis Adamopoulos. The contract will involve extending the shell32 library to support running the explorer-new shell. Focus will be on the browseui components, needed to allow explorer-new to display its file browser. This is the first step to ultimately replacing the existing explorer shell.(http://www.reactos.org/node/647).

Congratulations Giannis!!!

Pesho

Re: Shell Development Contract

Post by Pesho »

Awesome! Does this mean that explorer-new is finally going to work on ROS within 2-3 months?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Umm, no. Shell32 has a lot of holes and this contract is about plugging one of them. There's a lot of work that's needed.

kingnothing

Post by kingnothing »

one step closer
good news but expensive
keep the good work
the project needs to recruit more developers
isnt there any open source federation that can help in improving the project

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

kingnothing wrote: good news but expensive
Expensive??
600€-100hours, that means 6€/h. My grandma would refuse to work for such amount. In the IT industry even a janitor takes much more.
We should be even pleased that a great dev as Giannis is working for such small amount basically because he loves the project.

mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Cheap or expensive depending in wich country lives. But 600€ net income or whitout paid social taxes?.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Market rate for an entry level programmer is about 30€/hr. From any reasonable perspective, Giannis is being massively underpaid, especially considering the expertise needed for this work.

Tobi

Post by Tobi »

Hm, I'm wondering, is shell32 not a part of WINE?

ImperialSpectre

Post by ImperialSpectre »

Tobi wrote:Hm, I'm wondering, is shell32 not a part of WINE?
In other words yes and no - have a look here http://wiki.winehq.org/Shell32 - also Shell32 might be different for ReactOS since some of the coding were changed by the devs. Since shell32 is part of wine is there any co-operation happening between wine developer's and ReactOS devs to improve wine's version of shell32?

Tobi

Post by Tobi »

Hm, a) is ReactOS going to fork WINE's shell32, or
b) will this result in a general shell32 improvement?

Why does ReactOS need this shell32 coding?

If a): why do we need such a fork? Obviously most Windows programs have been running without that additional code on Linux-WINE for many years. So are there paticular issues between shell32, the Reactos services and the Reactos kernel to fix?

If b): Why does ReactOS spend such an amount of money for improving the WINE project?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Tobi wrote:Hm, a) is ReactOS going to fork WINE's shell32, or
b) will this result in a general shell32 improvement?

Why does ReactOS need this shell32 coding?

If a): why do we need such a fork? Obviously most Windows programs have been running without that additional code on Linux-WINE for many years. So are there paticular issues between shell32, the Reactos services and the Reactos kernel to fix?

If b): Why does ReactOS spend such an amount of money for improving the WINE project?
Others may correct me if wrong but:
"ReactOS is going to fork Wine's Shell32 and also it will result in a general shell32 improvement too"

The correct answer is a) and b) so you will need an answer for both them.

To a): why do we need such a fork? :
-Well, basically Wine doesnt implement most of the needed Shell32 code to support a real explorer.exe. As you know, Wine runs in a Linux "explorer", and doesnt expect to run with a Windows explorer. Most of the apps doesnt call Shell32, and if any, Wine redirects that call to a Linux call. We need to fork it in a point because they don't implement Shell32 properly. We are forced to add those Shell32 APIs that Wine hasn't implemented if we want that our Explorer works. For example: Drag and Drop doesnt work in ReactOS because we dont have DragAcceptFiles implemented (Shell32 api). A list of APIs are available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

To b): Why does ReactOS spend such an amount of money for improving the WINE project?
-Easy. This piece of code is not of such value for Wine. They have implemented the Shell32 code they need to support apps, but not to support explorer.exe (or explorer integration with apps, for example). So basically i doubt they will use this new code at all. But it would be really useful for us. It will boost the User experience for ReactOS users. On the other hand, if they want to use our code they are free to do that too, but our main objective is having a proper Explorer working. Noone will use ReactOS with Treeviews loading with such lag, multiple selection not working, or drag and drop failing miserably.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

mametoc wrote:Cheap or expensive depending in wich country lives. But 600€ net income or whitout paid social taxes?.
Cheap, even in those countries you are looking at.
Basically Giannis lives in Greece, so he is being underpaid. He doesn't mind because his true ReactOS love.
You say you can find a dev as expert as Giannis?as expert as him with,also, ReactOS messy code?for half price?
Then tell that guy to come to ReactOS, to begin programming for free for several years, and after 7 or 8 years commiting to the Repo, maybe he will be paid with 600€ too.
If I have to trust someone to be able to push Shell32 forward, even with those undocumented functions, he is just Giannis. The guy who was able to push Themes forward too.

Vantalk

Post by Vantalk »

600€ bis quite a decent fee where I'm living', but doing that kind of work.. I agree with vicmarcal entirely. All respects Giannis and whole ReactOS project. Dedicated people!

manuel

Post by manuel »

Code: Select all

The contract will involve extending the shell32 library to support running the explorer-new shell
great news ;)

Tobi

Post by Tobi »

OK,
so this contract is for implementing specific shell32 functions, which have not been implemented by the WINE team yet, because their calls are usually just redirected to corresponding Linux APIs?

Now I think I understand the importance of that contract. ;)