Mono support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rosfanatic
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 am
Contact:

Mono support

Post by rosfanatic »

Just saw the mention in the latest newletter about getting mono to install and run some basic apps. This is great news, I've been watching this project for years and trying Mono on every new release to see if it was working yet. Full mono support could open Ros to a whole world of .net apps ;)
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind

nh__
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: Mono support

Post by nh__ »

"Apps". Sounds like Win8 Store. Wasn´t .Net dead? Im still using XP without .Not.
Can you tell me 3 "Apps" you need?
And is Java working and is it fully secure in ROS?
But yea i think Managars can have important talks now.

PascalDragon
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Mono support

Post by PascalDragon »

nh__ wrote:Im still using XP without .Not.
Can you tell me 3 "Apps" you need?
The modern Delphi IDE need .Net and I needs the IDE for compatibility tests for Free Pascal.
Paint.Net, which I prefer to Gimp (and the costly Photo Shop)
Some Microsoft development tools and applications (e.g. Visual Studio, SQL server, Windows Mobile device emulator)
A mod manager written by the community for an (now) old game needed .Net which was my first contact with that Framework back in 2003 or so (I downloaded it with a Modem back then ;) ).
nh__ wrote: And is Java working and is it fully secure in ROS?
Oracle's Java implementation itself is not save, so the OS can't do that much there. You might only be able to run it safely by sandboxing it...

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer

User avatar
Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: Mono support

Post by Black_Fox »

nh__ wrote:"Apps". Sounds like Win8 Store. Wasn´t .Net dead? Im still using XP without .Not.
Can you tell me 3 "Apps" you need?
And is Java working and is it fully secure in ROS?
But yea i think Managars can have important talks now.
App is a shortcut for application, which means a programme. Unless you're 15 and you only have a smartphone and a tablet, you have been using programmes (= apps) your whole life. Cheers ;)

mrugiero
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Mono support

Post by mrugiero »

PascalDragon wrote: A mod manager written by the community for an (now) old game needed .Net which was my first contact with that Framework back in 2003 or so (I downloaded it with a Modem back then ;) ).
Fallout Mod Manager?
That's the kind of app I think should NOT be written in framework based languages. The framework is too big for a simple app. An IDE or a Photoshop/GIMP substitute does make sense, but a simple, one fixed window, fixed (simple) functions app loading a huge framework is nonsense.

User avatar
jonaspm
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Mono support

Post by jonaspm »

I don't like frameworks, but i see Mono advantage with. NET because of its multiplatform nature.

I am currently using Ecere SDK wich works without any runtime and contains most of the libraries that devs usually use (3D, Network, Sound, etc..)

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Mono support

Post by Z98 »

mrugiero wrote:
PascalDragon wrote: A mod manager written by the community for an (now) old game needed .Net which was my first contact with that Framework back in 2003 or so (I downloaded it with a Modem back then ;) ).
Fallout Mod Manager?
That's the kind of app I think should NOT be written in framework based languages. The framework is too big for a simple app. An IDE or a Photoshop/GIMP substitute does make sense, but a simple, one fixed window, fixed (simple) functions app loading a huge framework is nonsense.
Not really. The reason the .NET framework appeals to so many people is it doesn't require a lot of bootstrapping/boilerplate code. Compare the amount of code needed for a simple GUI application written using the win32 API to the amount of code needed using the .NET framework. The difference is quite stark. Less code that a developer needs to write means faster output and generally means more features. If whomever wrote the Fallout Mod Manager had to use the win32 API, I'm fairly certain they would not have managed to get something out as quickly or with as many features. If you're willing to accept slower development, then you can try relying purely on native applications, but then again, for simple/small applications, the goal is to get it out as quickly as possible to fulfill a need, so those tend to gravitate to using a framework to minimize the amount of work needed.

Dave3434
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 am

Re: Mono support

Post by Dave3434 »

can someone tell me since reactos aims to be like windows, will i need to run avast or any sort of anti virus software?

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Mono support

Post by Z98 »

Whether you need to run antivirus will depend on whether virus writers target the OS you are using. There is nothing inherent about any OS that makes antiviruses unnecessary.

rosfanatic
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Mono support

Post by rosfanatic »

nh__ wrote:"Apps". Sounds like Win8 Store. Wasn´t .Net dead? Im still using XP without .Not.
Can you tell me 3 "Apps" you need?
And is Java working and is it fully secure in ROS?
But yea i think Managars can have important talks now.

Haha yeah, the term "App" has been hijacked by the pop culture apple/smartphone crowd.
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind

mrugiero
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Mono support

Post by mrugiero »

Z98 wrote:Not really. The reason the .NET framework appeals to so many people is it doesn't require a lot of bootstrapping/boilerplate code. Compare the amount of code needed for a simple GUI application written using the win32 API to the amount of code needed using the .NET framework. The difference is quite stark. Less code that a developer needs to write means faster output and generally means more features. If whomever wrote the Fallout Mod Manager had to use the win32 API, I'm fairly certain they would not have managed to get something out as quickly or with as many features. If you're willing to accept slower development, then you can try relying purely on native applications, but then again, for simple/small applications, the goal is to get it out as quickly as possible to fulfill a need, so those tend to gravitate to using a framework to minimize the amount of work needed.
Fair enough, but those advantages are there even for bigger projects. I want to make clear that the reason I find it unappealing is because of the big framework it's supposed to load. I find it awfully suboptimal when the app itself is small. But is a personal preference, that's why I said I'm against that instead of saying it's completely wrong.
Dave3434 wrote:can someone tell me since reactos aims to be like windows, will i need to run avast or any sort of anti virus software?
As Z98 said, if viruses target your platform, you need an AV. And since ReactOS aims to be compatible, viruses made for Windows are likely to work on ReactOS (at least, when it achieves feature parity). What is not likely to work on ReactOS are the backdoors and exploits, since those are implementation specific (depends on bugs, and not on the actual API design).

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Mono support

Post by Z98 »

You're also loading a big "framework" when running a native application. All those functions you're calling are in various libraries that need to be loaded. The difference isn't as big as you think.

Dave3434
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 am

Re: Mono support

Post by Dave3434 »

thanks

PascalDragon
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Mono support

Post by PascalDragon »

mrugiero wrote:
PascalDragon wrote: A mod manager written by the community for an (now) old game needed .Net which was my first contact with that Framework back in 2003 or so (I downloaded it with a Modem back then ;) ).
Fallout Mod Manager?
No, (Star Trek) Bridge Commander Mod Installer (BCMI for short) :)
mrugiero wrote:That's the kind of app I think should NOT be written in framework based languages. The framework is too big for a simple app. An IDE or a Photoshop/GIMP substitute does make sense, but a simple, one fixed window, fixed (simple) functions app loading a huge framework is nonsense.
Which is why I prefer Delphi/Lazarus: Less boiler plate code and a statically linked framework (though you can also use a dynamic variant in Delphi, FPC does not support this yet...)

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer

User avatar
Zc456
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Mono support

Post by Zc456 »

Well, if they Microsoft .Net support down, then Mono will likely work too.
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests