Suggestions for 0.4 Roadmap

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonzoMD

Suggestions for 0.4 Roadmap

Post by gonzoMD »

In the April Minutes I read that the devs/community/whatever is figuring out a Roadmap for the Version 0.4.
So I thought I could start a Thread where everyone can suggest his/her ideas for a Roadmap.

I ordered descending per importance.
  • Fix MM Bugs (Less Crashes)
  • Fix the last LDR Regressions (More working Apps)
  • Fix CSRSS Regressions (Maybe fix discovered bugs)
  • Make at least one App of any Kind (Office/Multimedia/Image/archive/etc.) work properly (To bundle them for a press release - good PR is the shortest path to $ and €)
  • Fix USB, Audio and other HW Bugs (We need more RHDW Testers!!!)
  • New Explorer/shell32 completition (I think it is important because a new Major Release shoud offer a visual change)
  • Theming (Also the Taskbar) by default (Eye Candiness is soooooooooooo important for noob users)
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Suggestions for 0.4 Roadmap

Post by hbelusca »

Concerning CSRSS, I'm investigating the issue with the valuable help of [TheFlash] on IRC.
turtleman

Post by turtleman »

I absolutely agree with your top two priorities, hopefully they are everyone's priorities, to have fewer crashes and more working apps. Everything else seems trivial in comparison IMO (not that they aren't important, but in comparison). But how much improvement do you suppose is enough for 0.4?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

turtleman wrote:I absolutely agree with your top two priorities, hopefully they are everyone's priorities, to have fewer crashes and more working apps. Everything else seems trivial in comparison IMO (not that they aren't important, but in comparison). But how much improvement do you suppose is enough for 0.4?
so much improvement that, like allready written, at least one app of each kind works properly without random crashes or freezes.

Magazines and websites, in the most cases offer a bad judgment about reactos, but if we bundle a press release with even this working apps, they will be tested at first and they will be impressed about the result. and if the opinion of the website/magazine is good maybe more people realize the potential of this project and help to make it better.

I think there is much dreaming but isn't the whole OSS Scene built on dreams?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The 0.4 roadmap was already hashed out internally. One thing that people need to keep in mind is that there is a difference between broad goals and specific objectives. There is also a difference between work that will get done along the way of other development and work that often needs to be specifically targeted. General mm bugs will be noticed as people do development on other parts. "Fixing" mm to stop using the old mm would be a concentrated effort since it requires finishing the conversion/rewrite. Ldr bugs are also things that get fixed along the way, though that one depends very heavily on the feedback loop between testers and developers, since testers do much broader application testing than developers generally have time for. Other issues however are fairly dependent on available manpower with the correct skillsets. It doesn't really matter how many debug logs/bug reports we get for say sound if none of the current developers are familiar enough with the sound stack to figure out what is wrong. They could learn, sure, but that's if they're not already working on something else.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

-Issue whit arrows icons navigation (sometimes very,very, very irritating)

-Get correct snapshots whit "Imp Pant" key and/or paste right to default ROS graphic editor. (Tired of get crappy snapshots, and tired to "i must install" a snapshot app separately).
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Z98 wrote:The 0.4 roadmap was already hashed out internally.
Shouldn't roadmap for 0.4 on the Wiki be rewritten then? Or at least be notification of how out-of-date it is.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Who says it hasn't been rewritten?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Z98 wrote:Who says it hasn't been rewritten?
sounds interesting, nearly the things I stated above.