Newbie question regarding install in Suse

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

curtspivey

Newbie question regarding install in Suse

Post by curtspivey »

Excuse my ignorance, but, I'm currently running SuSE 9.3 and I have a few windows apps that just will not run under Wine.
I have no idea how to install ReactOS or if this is the direction I need to pursue. I have found open source replacement apps for most of my Windozes programs but there is one that I just can't replace.
Any ideas on how I should proceed?
TIA
Curtis
Jaix
Moderator Team

ROS is an OS Wine is fine...

Post by Jaix »

ReactOS is in pre alphe stage, thuss is't not good for main OS.
If Wine can't run your software ReactOS woan't probably either.
It can dualboot but only to a FAT16/32 as the first and primary partition (you could also use grub to load freeloader to another partition some info about that you can find here: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _from_GRUB)
The best solution for you is probably to try the LiveCD and test your app, and if that doesn't work you'd better go for VMWare Player and Windows.

By the way, what is the name of the software you would like to run?
curtspivey

Re: ROS is an OS Wine is fine...

Post by curtspivey »

Jaix wrote:ReactOS is in pre alphe stage, thuss is't not good for main OS.
If Wine can't run your software ReactOS woan't probably either.
It can dualboot but only to a FAT16/32 as the first and primary partition (you could also use grub to load freeloader to another partition some info about that you can find here: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _from_GRUB)
The best solution for you is probably to try the LiveCD and test your app, and if that doesn't work you'd better go for VMWare Player and Windows.

By the way, what is the name of the software you would like to run?
It's PC Study Bible and MS Streets and Trips. I spent $500 for PC Study Bible and I just can't get it to install with Wine or Codeweaver. There is nothing else on the market like it.
And for some reason my Windows partition no longer boots. It says, "invalid system disc". But, I'm able to access it through Konquer just fine. I have Windows Me installed on one of the partitions. But for some reason it no longer boots.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

curtspivey wrote:It's PC Study Bible and MS Streets and Trips. I spent $500 for PC Study Bible and I just can't get it to install with Wine or Codeweaver. There is nothing else on the market like it.
And for some reason my Windows partition no longer boots. It says, "invalid system disc". But, I'm able to access it through Konquer just fine. I have Windows Me installed on one of the partitions. But for some reason it no longer boots.
Then it's probably Logicos right? It is 16-bit and woan't work in ros for many years...
Try VMWare Player and Windows98 Someone could perhaps give you an image for you to install Windows on.
curtspivey

Post by curtspivey »

Jaix wrote:
curtspivey wrote:It's PC Study Bible and MS Streets and Trips. I spent $500 for PC Study Bible and I just can't get it to install with Wine or Codeweaver. There is nothing else on the market like it.
Then it's probably Logicos right? It is 16-bit and woan't work in ros for many years...
Try VMWare Player and Windows98 Someone could perhaps give you an image for you to install Windows on.
I've got Bochs installed. But for the life of me I have no idea how to configure or run it. I using SuSE 9.3
I go into a shell and type "Bochs" but I'm not sure what to do from there.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Why not just reinstall Windows?

Drop bochs. It's far too slow.
If you want an open source virtual machine, use qemu.
Or better still, get Xen.
curtspivey

Post by curtspivey »

ged wrote:Why not just reinstall Windows?

Drop bochs. It's far too slow.
If you want an open source virtual machine, use qemu.
Or better still, get Xen.
That's my problem. I have no Idea how to reinstall windows without wiping out my SuSE 9.3 install. I mean, I would hate to mess up a perfectly good operating system (SuSE) to get Windows running. It took me a while to get SuSE where it does everything I need. Except run those one or two critical Windows apps.
Last night I tried booting windows from the GRub but it just gives me a disc read error. So, I put in my system disc, I.e. windows ME CD and it never reads the disc. It says it, "booting from CD" but it never reads the drive. The drive light never comes on.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

My Windows ME cd's are not bootable, are you sure yours is?
curtspivey

Post by curtspivey »

Harteex wrote:My Windows ME cd's are not bootable, are you sure yours is?
You know, I never tried. I just assumed it was.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Harteex I hope those Windows ME cd are not pirate copies.

Windows 98 cdroms are for sure boot from cdrom. Some Windows 95 are I think revision D and E not quote me on this.

All less fails aquire downgrade from Microsoft.

Every person I have had so far tell me that Windows 98/ME does not boot from cdrom had pirate copies.

Note the boot floppy disk that ships with Windows 98 secound edition is blank how useful is that.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Windows ME retail CD can boot
Windows OEM CD does not need be bootable it does not need be ship with the computer. The store can brun a cd and give it to u. It depns what policy the store u buy u windows OEM.
it goes for all windows oem.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

curtspivey wrote:I've got Bochs installed. But for the life of me I have no idea how to configure or run it. I using SuSE 9.3
VMWare Player is free and very fast (compared to bochs or qemu) to run a nondemanding biblestuddy software it sould be very suitible. You should also be able to install open office to get your studdies to a form that would be easy to handle on Linux.
curtspivey

Post by curtspivey »

Jaix wrote:
curtspivey wrote:I've got Bochs installed. But for the life of me I have no idea how to configure or run it. I using SuSE 9.3
VMWare Player is free and very fast (compared to bochs or qemu) to run a nondemanding biblestuddy software it sould be very suitible. You should also be able to install open office to get your studdies to a form that would be easy to handle on Linux.
I'm running open Office and I like it. Looks like VM ware is a commerical program. I'll have to look into it.
GvG

Post by GvG »

curtspivey wrote:Looks like VM ware is a commerical program. I'll have to look into it.
VMware is closed source. However, the VMware player is free as in beer (you don't have to pay for it but you don't get the source).
curtspivey

Post by curtspivey »

Jaix wrote:
I know this is going to sound stupid. But I got VMplayer running, but how do I access Windows Me with it? vmplayer opens and it appears to be looking for a *.VMX file but I don't appear to have any. I'm thinking this sets the parameters for the virtual machine to run.