getting on JIRA and some bugs

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

philipz

getting on JIRA and some bugs

Post by philipz »

Well i'm new to ReactOS and wanted to give it a go and send any bugs i noticed, so i installed the latest nightly build on vmware. After going through the installation, i had some bugs i found that i wanted to submit but dont know how to login into JIRA, so here they are and hopefully someone who sees it can get it to the developers.

1. The timezone entry for mosco with GMT +4 is out of order
[ external image ]

2. VMWare Tools active but setup cant find CD-ROM (i'm using VM Player 3.1.5 build-491717 which uses VMWare Tools 8.4.8) - seems as if the system needs to boot up with the VMWare Tools CD already in before it knows its there
3. When running setup and system in VGA (640x480x4), some color dithering should be used as well as having 4-bit icons
[ external image ]

4. So as it couldnt find the VMWare Tools CD during the installation, I decided to install it afterwards, but got errors all through the installation. The errors came due to missing these missing files - framedyn.dll, mfc80u.dll.
[ external image ]
more error dialogues
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
After restarting, i got this error and had to reinstall.
[ external image ]

5. After installation fails with a new device and i dont click 'do not show this dialog anymore', it doesnt appear the next time i restart the OS (when running in VGA mode).

6. After the installing in VGA mode, every second restart would show up the below blue screen.
[ external image ]

Is there a page on the website of software that has been tested and works?
ArmyMan007

Re: getting on JIRA and some bugs

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hello philipz, and thank you for taking interest in ReactOS (ROS in short).

Most of these problems are known to the development team and the constant users or ROS, hence you don't renew much. While I use VitrualBox for testing ROS, I've been using VMware in the past to test the OS but didn't face the problem of inserting a CD as you had. I believe the Dev team knows, but if not, thank you for reporting this problem. Someone from the team will most likely takes this issue forward to the Dev team.

As to your issue of BSOD after restart: It happens to me all the time. Several attempts to restart will ultimately login to ROS with no problems. If you receive BSOD at least 6 times in a row, you may want to consider re-installing it.

At this time the ROS team and its community are running tests in order to figure out which software is supported by the OS. Please refer to this link to get more info: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.3.15

Please do bear in mind that ReactOS is in Alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for daily use!

Hope this helps :-)
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

You can log in Jira with the same username and password used in the forum but really few times had some problems (maintenance?) and login doesn't work, like yesterday at around 21:00 PM (GTM+1) i cannot enter.
philipz

Post by philipz »

Thanks ArmyMan007 for the reply. I'm aware its in alpha stage and wanted to help out in the only way i can, testing. :)

It would be nice if the dev team would have a list they would like testers to test, so things that arent going to be dealt with at the moment arent reported on, as well as a list of things they are already aware of that dont have to be reported again.

Having a very difficult time getting audio to work in VMWare and tried the two suggestions at http://www.reactos.org/wiki/VMware with no luck. I noticed in the software center the soundblaster vmware driver and installed it as instructed and restarted twice with no difference. Unfortunately the vmwared version of reactos from the website doesnt have sound built into it.

mametoc - I tried using my forum login to do so but couldnt get in.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Totally agree on #3. ReactOS is way ugly in VGA mode -- the only mode that works in Bochs since r56112. Way uglier than Windows ever was.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Still cannot enter on Jira?, strange..., i can.

Sorry, but i cannot help you running ReactOS insisde a virtual machine, i'm experienced only running ReactOS on Real Hardware.
philipz

Post by philipz »

Was thinking about installing it but wondered about the bootloader and whether i'd still be able to boot into my windows and linux partitions.
milon

Post by milon »

As of right now, ROS doesn't play well with other partitions. You'd be better using it on it's own HDD, preferably without the Windows/linux drive. There's a fairly recent thread from a user who installed ROS and now can't boot anything else:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12463
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

If it's possible in other partitions i don't know how, i tried several times whit no success. So i opted for this solution:

The desktop PC i'm using had two hard drives, one of them whit 3 partitions but only one whit XP. The other hard disk drive is exclusively for ReactOS, the problem is that every time i wanna install a new ReactOS build i must disable trought BIOS the HDD whit Windows XP, and personal data if i don't do this, ReactOS installation fails, looks like cannot fix the bootloader if two hard drives are actived. Hopefully once time installed ReactOS and enable again the first HDD and whit GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net/es-index.html Operating Systems can be selected.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

[…] whether i'd still be able to boot into my windows and linux partitions.
If you use GRUB to boot linux, you can also use it to boot ReactOS.