What do we expect from ROS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: What do we expect from ROS?

Post by Z98 »

A rather strange conclusion you come to considering I spent all those words trying to explain that a lot of developers are angry at Microsoft because Microsoft is trying to force them to write touch applications.

kingnothing

Post by kingnothing »

Z98 wrote:A rather strange conclusion you come to considering I spent all those words trying to explain that a lot of developers are angry at Microsoft because Microsoft is trying to force them to write touch applications.
i believe that big companies like ms dont consider what developers want
all the developers can nag and complain about touch system but for ms the answer is simple if you dont want to code a touch compatible app others will

to make it easier consider the ms company the government and developers are the residence

so for the developers have sooner or later to develop touch compatible app so their apps be used or sold

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

kingnothing wrote:for ms the answer is simple if you dont want to code a touch compatible app others will

to make it easier consider the ms company the government and developers are the residence

so for the developers have sooner or later to develop touch compatible app so their apps be used or sold
(Un?)Fortunately, there isn't infinite amount of "others". If the government is oppresive, the residents 1) throw down the gvnt 2) migrate to another country to regain their freedom.

EDIT: missed a word
Last edited by Black_Fox on Sat May 18, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

why not tell those developers about reactos?

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Would you erase MS WIndows preinstalled on your new PC and install ROS?
If ReactOS comes stable enough, yes. I would replace it for Windows. I won't touch 8 with a stick unless it came pre-installed.

Do you expect ROS to be faster, more reliable, more secure than MS Windows?
ReactOS' NT kernel is much different then Microsoft's. Even if a hole were to be discovered, it's open source and can be fixed quicker. So, security would theoretically be similar to Linux.

Do you want ROS be backward compatible with older MS Windows (starting from W2K)?
Well, most applications I personally use require XP SP2 or above. So, backwards compitability isn't much of an issue.

Do you expect ROS UI to change periodically to reflect changes in MS Windows?
I doubt it. :roll: Even if they did, it's open source: someone could fork the explorer-new and reimplent it back into their codebase.

Do you expect ROS to require security updates on a regular basis?
While no system is secure, that depends on how well the ReactOS' NT kernel differs from the original. At this moment, no one knows how the update method will work. At the moment, the only way to update is to fire up a USB or CD.

Regardless, I would still use an anti-virus.

Do you expect ROS in some respects differ from MS Windows?
It kinda does already, in my opinon. ReactOS's kernel is much more natrual in regards to compatibility, with the only minimum that it be NT based on the 5.2 architecture (I think); the GPL license; partial Wine base; and use of the Tango icons to name a few.

So, what do we really expect ROS to be when done?
By the time 7's support ends, Beta can be expected maybe after XP's support ends. This estimate is just based at their present progress. The work on shell32 library in order to get the explorer-new project to FINALLY work will speed things up for sure.
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Zc456 wrote:Would you erase MS WIndows preinstalled on your new PC and install ROS?
If ReactOS comes stable enough, yes. I would replace it for Windows. I won't touch 8 with a stick unless it came pre-installed.

Do you expect ROS to be faster, more reliable, more secure than MS Windows?
ReactOS' NT kernel is much different then Microsoft's. Even if a hole were to be discovered, it's open source and can be fixed quicker. So, security would theoretically be similar to Linux.

Do you want ROS be backward compatible with older MS Windows (starting from W2K)?
Well, most applications I personally use require XP SP2 or above. So, backwards compitability isn't much of an issue.

Do you expect ROS UI to change periodically to reflect changes in MS Windows?
I doubt it. :roll: Even if they did, it's open source: someone could fork the explorer-new and reimplent it back into their codebase.

Do you expect ROS to require security updates on a regular basis?
While no system is secure, that depends on how well the ReactOS' NT kernel differs from the original. At this moment, no one knows how the update method will work. At the moment, the only way to update is to fire up a USB or CD.

Regardless, I would still use an anti-virus.

Do you expect ROS in some respects differ from MS Windows?
It kinda does already, in my opinon. ReactOS's kernel is much more natrual in regards to compatibility, with the only minimum that it be NT based on the 5.2 architecture (I think); the GPL license; partial Wine base; and use of the Tango icons to name a few.

So, what do we really expect ROS to be when done?
By the time 7's support ends, Beta can be expected maybe after XP's support ends. This estimate is just based at their present progress. The work on shell32 library in order to get the explorer-new project to FINALLY work will speed things up for sure.
I agree with what you have posted. I think it was stated quite well. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

turtleman

Post by turtleman »

Based on some light research I have done, the security of Unix-like is the implementation of multi-user environment and the principle of least privlege, as well as some other things that make malware difficult to spread. Can these be implemented in ReactOS without losing Windows functionality?

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Even using NT 5.1&5.2 APIs, it is possible to implement UAC&bidirectional firewall-but in an incompatible way with Windows NT 6.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

turtleman wrote:Based on some light research I have done, the security of Unix-like is the implementation of multi-user environment and the principle of least privlege, as well as some other things that make malware difficult to spread. Can these be implemented in ReactOS without losing Windows functionality?
The principle of least privilege, I think, is what UAC implemented. Most Windows users find it annoying, though. I let it on, but I got used to that kind of thing after using Linux.
erkinalp wrote:Even using NT 5.1&5.2 APIs, it is possible to implement UAC&bidirectional firewall-but in an incompatible way with Windows NT 6.
If devs think of implementing this in the near future, I'm pretty sure they'd extend this area to work according to NT 6, since this extra functionality doesn't seem to imply any breakage in the current target APIs (Windows 2003, not sure if that's 5.1 or 5.2), since they were partial or completely introduced after that, instead of meaning changing something that was already there.

PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

mrugiero wrote:
turtleman wrote:Based on some light research I have done, the security of Unix-like is the implementation of multi-user environment and the principle of least privlege, as well as some other things that make malware difficult to spread. Can these be implemented in ReactOS without losing Windows functionality?
The principle of least privilege, I think, is what UAC implemented. Most Windows users find it annoying, though. I let it on, but I got used to that kind of thing after using Linux.
If users and developers alike would not have relied on administrator rights after the switch from 9x to XP we wouldn't have the need for the UAC (at least in its current form). Windows NT is rather secure if you apply the principle of least priviledge which is already possible in older versions, though not necessarily as comfortable. So if we could provide some possibility to easily elevate applications if needed it *could* be implemented in NT 5.2 based ReactOS.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

APIs are NT5.2 but end user applications require to implement it in a compatible manner with NT5.1.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

fred02

Post by fred02 »

mrugiero wrote:The principle of least privilege, I think, is what UAC implemented. Most Windows users find it annoying, though.
That's by design.
PascalDragon wrote:If users and developers alike would not have relied on administrator rights after the switch from 9x to XP we wouldn't have the need for the UAC (at least in its current form). Windows NT is rather secure if you apply the principle of least priviledge which is already possible in older versions, though not necessarily as comfortable.
Exactly. The problem is that many programs assume that they have full access to everything, like the registry, while they don't really need one to function, or use HKLM to store user setting :evil: . Sometimes just creating the relevant entries allows the program to run from a user account.

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

tomleem wrote:I agree with what you have posted. I think it was stated quite well. :ugeek:
Thank you. Few things on that post I actually wanted to get out of way. Mostly my own estimates on ROS' beta and stable releases.
fred02 wrote:
mrugiero wrote:The principle of least privilege, I think, is what UAC implemented. Most Windows users find it annoying, though.
That's by design.
Someone hand me a gun.
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

zydon

Post by zydon »

I expect ROS core will be easy to duplicate over various removable USB storage. Just type "Format <drive>: /S", The ROS essential core with GUI, USB and Network support written to the storage. So, when I supply the storage with my own win32 application, I can pass along to anyone had x86 PC and boot from it and run my application straight away.

I expect ROS capable to boot from any USB storage from it's device location other than C: drive as the main boot drive. It doesn't matter whether it has to use virtual drive A: drive for it's COMSPEC. But I preferred when it's boot from USB fob, it use H: or U: to refer to itself when it' booting.

The last thing is a virtual SoundBlaster driver to override existing sound card in whatever the PC it's boot. Doesn't matter it has primitive sound card or AC97 or PCIe HDAudio, all will be control by this Virtual SoundBlaster driver to get through those output speakers.

turtleman

Post by turtleman »

Also I like the fact that ROS has it's own application manager. The possibility of running only FOSS applications on Windows is something I am really looking forward to :)