Why have standard installed apps when... ->

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

trondjac

Why have standard installed apps when... ->

Post by trondjac »

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. in the threats where people would like to have reactos shipped with different programs as standard. Like media players and some even suggested a reactos web browser and so on osv...

Well, I'm not out to say that those post was stupid or anything. But I've got an idea...!

Now since most of us is connected to the internet. I thought that Reactos would be shipped as a stripped OS. Yes, I'm serious... First you install Reactos and when it is done installing and boots up for the first time, the first thing that enters the screen is a Download program, ala ReactOS Package Manager, there the user just scrolls through a list and decides with browser, media player, office ect solution him/her want to use.

I don't have any program experience so I can't make it. But wouldn't this be fair to the user, to let him/her decide and download (fairly easy) the program they want. Instead of forcing the developers to decide on standard program, which I guess will be debated wide and long about what to include and so on...

The Reactos will be smaller to install, and faster to download :)

So what do you think about this idea?
-- Want freeware, check out:
http://www.myfreeprograms.com

Quvack

Post by Quvack »

Thats pretty much the plan anyways afaik, the 'official' ReactOS install will just supply the basics much like windows does, and offer the package manager once install is complete. Once ReactOS gets enough support and a bigger fan base theres no doubt there will be distributions with all the applications people want.

I like the idea of a basic distribution too, not so everything is as minimal as possible, just so I can decide what I want to install myself :)

Ged
Developer

Re: Why have standard installed apps when... ->

Post by Ged »

trondjac wrote:So what do you think about this idea?
This is the way it has always been and will continue to be.

Lolo

Post by Lolo »

This is probably the best that can be done of course, BUT :
1 - If many of us have a good connection, it is not the case of anybody in the world (some people may still have 56 kbits or 33 kbits modem.
2 - One people can reinstall several times ROS on his computer and/or install the computer of his neighbourg.

IMHO, ReactOS should be shipped with two dics :
The first one, smallest as it can be, containing only the OS and the package manager (maybe an internet brownser...)
The second one, containing a copy of many of the programs that will be accessibles on the packages manager severs's

This will save a lot of bandwidth on this(those) server(s) and will help increase the speed of all the installations.

++

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I think there should be a way to select the extra apps to download from the package manager and create a CD if you want to install on several PCs or on PCs with no internet connection. untill recently i had a 56k modem but could only normaly get 28k - 33k connections.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

My idea: The package Manager should be able to read special "package" files. So you can make some kind of distro with all your favourite OpenSource software and put a package file on it. When you insert the cd and open the file the package manager starts and shows, what is on that cd and lets you decide what to install. Then you can even safe this install config to a file (on floppy) and whenever you install ROS, you first install the basic OS, then insert your software cd/dvd and open the file on your floppy and everything will be installed as you have selected before. Last thing would be to update all your software via internet with a single click. This can be done overnight or whenever you have time to do so.

chris319

Post by chris319 »

Last thing would be to update all your software via internet with a single click. This can be done overnight or whenever you have time to do so.
And we're going to change the name to ReactHat?

Good luck pulling this off, with the myriad installation schemes and Windows application installers out there.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

chris319 wrote: Good luck pulling this off, with the myriad installation schemes and Windows application installers out there.
That was of course just for a bunch of common used apps (like Firefox, Thunderbird, 7Zip, Nero, Alcohol, gcc, GhostView, etc), or even only OpenSource Software, wich is included in the Packagemanager. But when a lot of people use ROS, some might write update scripts for their preferred software and you can download these update scripts and then you are able to update this software whenever you want to.
You will of course never be able to 'one click update' ALL of your software, especially when you use software almost noone other uses, but then you are free to write your own update script and when the software's site doesn't change, it might work for quite a while.

Lucractius

Post by Lucractius »

well i have been planing something myself that covers ALL of this reactos/system apps, 3rd party open source, and even 3rd party closed source programs as well to a certain extent, in a simple flexible system for anyone to be able to add a new program should they find its not in the system.

but i havent started work on it yet.

Floyd

Re: Why have standard installed apps when... ->

Post by Floyd »

trondjac wrote: The Reactos will be smaller to install, and faster to download :)

So what do you think about this idea?
reactos should come with basic apps. like windows, a basic paint, a basic media player, a basic web browser, the package manager, and the equivalent of wordpad. you can get all those apps for under 10 MB uncompressed.

not everyone has broadband and if you're downloading a 200+ MB ISO anyway, 10 extra MB won't kill you. and if you have broadband, then what's the big deal anyway?

also, there are previous threads covering this very topic. please post in pre-existing threads instead of starting new ones.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia