Google Summer of Code 2013

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

Google Summer of Code 2013

Post by cruonit »

I think it should start in the next few days (usually in february)

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/

ReactOS gsoc arhive:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2012
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Google_Summ ... 2012_Ideas

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Google_Summ ... 2011_Ideas

i know there are priorities but stuff that is interesting for (non)developers on the forum maybe interesting for students. fix the mm is not a good idea :D

So what ideas do you have?

i will make a setup ROSBE(ninja) + debugging video in the next few days and put it on youtube. The newest on youtube is for rosbe 1.4 only building but still helped me.

maybe:
- Reactos ARM port (maybe bad because of android :|) - would be very very interesting for developers from XDA-Developers
- Arwinss - hard :(
Last edited by cruonit on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gonzoMD

Re: Google Sommer of Code 2013

Post by gonzoMD »

Shell32 + explorer_new (edijus, katayama and thomas made good progress the last month)
Fix Color issues in different color depths
mm rewrite

this are my candidates

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

GSOC worked out very well for us last year, even though a few projects fell off there was plenty of progress made by the participants. If google accepts us as they have in the past I'm sure we will take advantage of the opportunity and provide them with several goal sets we feel they can complete. I really hope we can achive the same if not better level of success.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

livestrong2109 wrote:GSOC worked out very well for us last year, even though a few projects fell off there was plenty of progress made by the participants. If google accepts us as they have in the past I'm sure we will take advantage of the opportunity and provide them with several goal sets we feel they can complete. I really hope we can achive the same if not better level of success.
2 years ago. But last year they rejected us.

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

Does anybody has a clue where we failed? Is there any way to contact G, show them the progress ect. or just get a short comment. I would realy like to see the ARM port as one od the bullets but it's not in G's interest.
Printing support would also be nice with USB fixes or get support for Google cloud printer :)

As far as i know, Microsoft in newer versions of windows prefers XPS for printing instand of PostScript and does emulation if not supported.
The problem XPS can't be installed because od an bug in the installer and it's also a blocker for .net >=3.0 and visual studio >=2008

fred02

Post by fred02 »

I would say USB support would be the best bet, surfing on the USB3 hype. Yes, yes, I know, there not even 1.1 working in ROS yet.
ARWINSS subsystem looks like another good candidate: running Wine on another platform is good.
VS ROS BE can be the third (but may be it is already fully functioning, I haven't had à look at it).
But it is not for us to decide, but for the developers, according to their needs, motivation, spare time and coffee flavour they drink. :D
Also, I'm not sure how critical is the previous/current project progress. My understanding is that G is rather looking for good mentoring, which bring us again to the time the ROS developer's can devote to this.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

USB 1.1 should be working in trunk revisions.

fred02

Post by fred02 »

vicmarcal wrote:USB 1.1 should be working in trunk revisions.
Oh, wasn't aware of that, thank you. For hid and storage devices classes? Any other? (We really need that newsletter :) but this is going offtopic).
Then may be it can be possible to go for USB3 after all.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

fred02 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:USB 1.1 should be working in trunk revisions.
Oh, wasn't aware of that, thank you. For hid and storage devices classes? Any other? (We really need that newsletter :) but this is going offtopic).
Then may be it can be possible to go for USB3 after all.
Hid and storages devices.
Several mices and keyboards seems to be working. Same with storages.
Of course it is an ongoing project, and there are a few of bugs already detected.
But you should test the latest revisions ;)

fred02

Post by fred02 »

vicmarcal wrote:Several mices and keyboards seems to be working. Same with storages.
Of course it is an ongoing project, and there are a few of bugs already detected.
Ok, that was my impression too. I should have phrased my sentence about USB1.1 better: not fully working yet. :)

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Could it be a reason that Google refused ROS in GSOC 2012, because they fear that ROS will finally succeed and then be a big rival in business ?

milon

Post by milon »

I guarantee that Google is in no way afraid of ReactOS.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Since ReactOS is open source, Google would be free to include it as an option on "Chromebooks" to further compete with Microsoft and Apple. There's almost no one who doesn't benefit from a free Windows-like operating system.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Bluetooth 2.0 and WiFi WPA2 would be my candidates

BlackRabbit

Post by BlackRabbit »

Since ReactOS is open source, Google would be free to include it as an option on "Chromebooks" to further compete with Microsoft and Apple. There's almost no one who doesn't benefit from a free Windows-like operating system.
I would be extremely surprised if Google, or any other major software company, included ReactOS as an option. After all, the way these companies make money is by keeping their systems closed.
  • Google, in particular, was quite shrewd in their manipulation of public perception. First, they made the claim that Android was open source. Then they proved it by making the entire Android source tree available online. Developers saw the source code and thought, Google is a good guy. They support open software development. But if you examine the dynamics carefully, it becomes clear that there is not much that a software developer can do with Android that will pose any threat to Google. Having access to the entire Android source tree does not translate to being able to write normal native C/C++ applications that run on Android. It turns out that there are some revolutionary applications [please do not ask me what they are] that can be written for smartphones and tablets if true native C/C++ applications were allowed. But writing native code on a deployed Android device is tricky, and the code is restrictively sand-boxed and actually invoked by Java's JNI interface. Google has been teasing native C/C++ developers for several years now with the promise of true native development, creating a so-called native SDK, but as I understand it, no such native development exists on Android. Hacking the Android source tree will allow a developer to do whatever s/he wants. But then what? Mainstream users want to buy applications, not entire OS/application packages. They are certainly not going to root their phone just to run your app.
  • Microsoft is taking a worse approach. Not only is windows Phone 8 proprietary, but also, as with Android, native C/C++ coders are highly restricted in what they can do with the hardware of the device. Microsoft claimed that Windows Phone 8 allows native development. They did this to calm the growing discontent of native C/C++ coders who realized that they were being sand-boxed into a .NET world. Microsoft offered a carrot - they allowed compilation of C/C++ code into native machine code BUT...and this is a really big BUT...that is NOT the same as native development, as native development comes with certain implications, namely that the developer will have the same flexibility as exists on "Big Windows." Not true on Windows Phone 8. What Microsoft is doing is running your native blobs of code inside a sandbox.
  • There is no need to explain what Apple is doing, as they make no attempt to hide it at all. Their customers are like (happy) farm animals.
This is why ReactOS on ARM would be extremely successful. Hardware manufacturers, NOT wireless carriers, would finally have a platform that they can put on their devices, just as they do with Android. However, the difference would be that the rate of application development would eventually surpass that for Apple/Microsoft/Google. Why? There is a horde of developers who have Visual Studio Express, and know the Windows platform, including the Win32 API. If those developers wanted to write an application for a mobile device, right now, what would they do? They would do nothing. Win32 is mostly useless on Apple. It does not apply to Android. And shockingly, it does not apply to Windows Phone 8. Yes, Microsoft, again teases with some Win32 API's on Windows Phone 8, but it is not the same as what you would find on "Big Windows". And then there is the App Store that one has to get through that would no longer exist.

But if a customer could do with a smartphone what they do today with a Big Windows PC - download native C/C++ applications from anywhere and run them, at their own risk, as they see fit...

...there would be a revolution in the mobile device industry.