Education & Research (Universities collaboration)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fireball
Developer

Re: Education & Research (Universities collaboration)

Post by fireball »

In fact, I'm thinking through the course - of course, I'm familiar with Tannenbaum's book, and I also looked into Stanford's slides, Washington's slides and a dozen of other universities OS lectures slides to get an idea how to package that all nicely.

But very-very roughly, I would like to make it from two parts:
- the theory, without going into any implementation-specific details
- implementation, where UNIX/Linux and NT/ReactOS architectures will be covered, emphasizing the latter, because every other OS book talks about UNIX.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

fireball wrote:In fact, I'm thinking through the course - of course, I'm familiar with Tannenbaum's book, and I also looked into Stanford's slides, Washington's slides and a dozen of other universities OS lectures slides to get an idea how to package that all nicely.

But very-very roughly, I would like to make it from two parts:
- the theory, without going into any implementation-specific details
- implementation, where UNIX/Linux and NT/ReactOS architectures will be covered, emphasizing the latter, because every other OS book talks about UNIX.
maybe a little bit off-topic but we where also using BACI:
http://inside.mines.edu/~tcamp/baci/baci.html

for practical experience with OS concurrency concepts and synchronization techniques in OS.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

cruonit wrote:maybe a little bit off-topic but we where also using BACI:
http://inside.mines.edu/~tcamp/baci/baci.html

for practical experience with OS concurrency concepts and synchronization techniques in OS.
Oh, thanks, this is rather interesting, I will have a look at it.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
fred02

Post by fred02 »

fireball wrote: It's going to be a complete course, 1 lecture + 1 lab workshop per week, 4 academic hours of time, one semester length (roughly 17 weeks).
WOW :shock:
That's quite something! It seems that recording it all is probably out of question. May be just the one where you will talk about *nix/NT differences/similarities? Can make a good educational material for people visiting the site.
Your lecture notes can be useful too, especially for new ROS programmers. Also, may be before giving the lecture you can post them here to test and have some feedback? Sure, we don't have the same background as your future students, but it can be still helpful to have an outside view.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Cool. Very cool, actually.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Just as a side note, I remind you the slides of a talk Alex Ionescu gave in front of students from the Waterloo University (Canada): http://www.alex-ionescu.com/wloo-talk.pdf
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

livestrong2109 wrote:Aleksey, honestly most efforts so far have been lead by you and a few other individuals. We really should get ROS up and running on some netbooks and get them out there to schools that are willing to host us. We should do a tour to mimic the efforts the RasPi team did in the states last year. As I understand it was very successful, and spawned tons of media coverage.
Honestly ReactOS will need to be by far more stable, and even then it needs to have it's own update manager (to update from let's say 0.3.15->0.3.16 automatically or with a click of a button). Only then would it be useful, such as how ChromeOS is going along with things.
FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

KnownSyntax wrote:Only then would it be useful, such as how ChromeOS is going along with things.
Please, forget about ChromeOS. Cloud-based OS is a very bad idea.
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

Yaraslau wrote:Please, forget about ChromeOS. Cloud-based OS is a very bad idea.
I was only stating how they have their update system in place, where it automatically updates when the user is using it and then once they shut it down it will do the updates when it starts back up. Instead of how Windows is where you have to click on "Install" and then restart afterwards else it'll kick you off normally.
FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

KnownSyntax wrote:
Yaraslau wrote:Please, forget about ChromeOS. Cloud-based OS is a very bad idea.
I was only stating how they have their update system in place, where it automatically updates when the user is using it and then once they shut it down it will do the updates when it starts back up. Instead of how Windows is where you have to click on "Install" and then restart afterwards else it'll kick you off normally.
Maybe, in the nearest future (2014-2015). Optimistic view, I know. :)
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

KnownSyntax wrote:
livestrong2109 wrote:Aleksey, honestly most efforts so far have been lead by you and a few other individuals. We really should get ROS up and running on some netbooks and get them out there to schools that are willing to host us. We should do a tour to mimic the efforts the RasPi team did in the states last year. As I understand it was very successful, and spawned tons of media coverage.
Honestly ReactOS will need to be by far more stable
That's what I'm workin on. But, let's not hijack the thread with unrelated discussions ;)

I'm really looking for possible research directions now. As for education - all is going very good (greetings to students :)), lab work is also good. However, it's interesting to bring in some research work which would be useful for ReactOS. I would be interested myself in that.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

fireball wrote:
KnownSyntax wrote:
Honestly ReactOS will need to be by far more stable
That's what I'm workin on. But, let's not hijack the thread with unrelated discussions ;)

I'm really looking for possible research directions now. As for education - all is going very good (greetings to students :)), lab work is also good. However, it's interesting to bring in some research work which would be useful for ReactOS. I would be interested myself in that.
What about a ReactOS machine?There aren't Emulators for Android(nor VBOX or Vmware), but what about ReactOS running on top of Android as Parallel works in MacOS X?
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

There do exist Android apps that provide an x86 QEMU and I've managed to boot ReactOS on one of them some time ago. AFAIR the app was called Limbo. It's just a bit hard to use with only a touchscreen, but the performance was ok (not good, but not bad either).

Just for information: my phone has a 1.2 GHz dual core ARM processor with 1 GB RAM.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

PascalDragon wrote:There do exist Android apps that provide an x86 QEMU and I've managed to boot ReactOS on one of them some time ago. AFAIR the app was called Limbo. It's just a bit hard to use with only a touchscreen, but the performance was ok (not good, but not bad either).

Just for information: my phone has a 1.2 GHz dual core ARM processor with 1 GB RAM.

Regards,
Sven
I also tried with my SGS2, but this Limbo thingie is very buggy and I had to restart my phone quite often.