Education & Research (Universities collaboration)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Education & Research (Universities collaboration)

Post by vicmarcal »

PascalDragon wrote:There do exist Android apps that provide an x86 QEMU and I've managed to boot ReactOS on one of them some time ago. AFAIR the app was called Limbo. It's just a bit hard to use with only a touchscreen, but the performance was ok (not good, but not bad either).

Just for information: my phone has a 1.2 GHz dual core ARM processor with 1 GB RAM.

Regards,
Sven
Oh!Nice to heard!That could make it much easier the "Port". Maybe Arwinss can make use of Seamlessmode through Xserver ?Or since it is running inside the Android Java Machine(and not on Linux) it would be really difficult?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

gonzoMD wrote:
PascalDragon wrote:There do exist Android apps that provide an x86 QEMU and I've managed to boot ReactOS on one of them some time ago. AFAIR the app was called Limbo. It's just a bit hard to use with only a touchscreen, but the performance was ok (not good, but not bad either).

Just for information: my phone has a 1.2 GHz dual core ARM processor with 1 GB RAM.

Regards,
Sven
I also tried with my SGS2, but this Limbo thingie is very buggy and I had to restart my phone quite often.
With the SGS3 I was able to install it.
During the installation you have to have a lot of patience.Some times it keeps "stuck" but really it is working...but terrible slow. It's amazing to see that once installed it mostly works without too much problems(From hardware to ReactOS there are 2 differents virtualizers).
I have created a thread to post some pics and not steal the Education & Research.
After viewing how cool ReactOS performs under Android...what about a small Linux distro(the smaller and lighter) plus Qemu plus ReactOS at full screen?
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

talking about all this, UbuntuOS (pure Linux without Java and other frameworks i currently don´t remember) has been released by Canonical so i think running QEMU with ReactOS under UbuntuOS should be 10% or more faster than under Android...
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

vicmarcal wrote:Oh!Nice to heard!That could make it much easier the "Port". Maybe Arwinss can make use of Seamlessmode through Xserver ?Or since it is running inside the Android Java Machine(and not on Linux) it would be really difficult?
There exists a X11 server for Android. I don't know though how well network communications works with Limbo.
vicmarcal wrote:(From hardware to ReactOS there are 2 differents virtualizers).
This is wrong. The app itself is running in the Dalvik VM, true, but it just uses the binary QEMU and SDL libraries and shows its screen. So it's just 1 level of virtualization running directly on top of the native Android userland.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

PascalDragon wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:(From hardware to ReactOS there are 2 differents virtualizers).
This is wrong. The app itself is running in the Dalvik VM, true, but it just uses the binary QEMU and SDL libraries and shows its screen. So it's just 1 level of virtualization running directly on top of the native Android userland.

Regards,
Sven
Hmm...but isn't Qemu a virtualizer?I mean, Limbo asks me how i want to virtualize ReactOS(ram, cpu, and other settings)...or are they really fake without no real use?(It sounds pretty strange that the app asks to virtualize with CPUs way faster than the own SGS3 one)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

QEMU is a virtualizer, true. However, there is a native QEMU binary for the ARM CPU itself, so QEMU is the only virtualizer, it runs outside Dalvik (according to PascalDragon). It is indeed possible to have "native" apps running on Android, what I'm not sure about is just if it applies for QEMU as well.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

@Black_Fox: Yes, this is exactly how I meant it.

@vicmarcal: I don't know in how far you are aware of it, but Android is basically "just" a Linux system with a Java based userland and no X11. Google even provides a Native Development Kit which allows you to build native binaries and libraries. The later can be used from within Java apps or they can be an app on themselves (sine 2.3). And the libraries have access to a normal C library (though not the GNU one) and can start new native processes (in this case QEMU) using the usual fork/exec concept.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
fred02

Post by fred02 »

fireball wrote:But very-very roughly, I would like to make it from two parts:
- the theory, without going into any implementation-specific details
- implementation, where UNIX/Linux and NT/ReactOS architectures will be covered, emphasizing the latter, because every other OS book talks about UNIX.
You are probably already in the middle of your course, and it has all been written down, but may be this course in the University of Washington can still be useful for you, perhaps practicums part? I particularly like the names of their lecturers. :o
Last edited by fred02 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I like this:
Textbooks
Required Operating System Concepts (8th Edition), Silberschatz, Galvin and Gagne, ISBN 978-0-470-12872-5.

Optional Windows Internals, Russinovich, Solomon

Available at: o:\cse\courses\cse451\11wi\Reference Material\WindowsInternalsBook4thEdition\WindowsInternals-4e.pdf
Piracy?where?

PD: Maybe they have an agreement of scholarship ;)
fred02

Post by fred02 »

vicmarcal wrote:I like this:
Textbooks
Required Operating System Concepts (8th Edition), Silberschatz, Galvin and Gagne, ISBN 978-0-470-12872-5.

Optional Windows Internals, Russinovich, Solomon

Available at: o:\cse\courses\cse451\11wi\Reference Material\WindowsInternalsBook4thEdition\WindowsInternals-4e.pdf
Piracy?where?

PD: Maybe they have an agreement of scholarship ;)
Probably. The first practicum is about modifying Windows kernel. They must have access to Windows Research Kernel through Microsoft Curriculum program. Yea, here is the book. Faculties only.
Although again, considering lecturers' names, it is probably superfluous. :D
:idea: fireball could use ROS kernel instead for the same exercise. If it is complete-enough that is.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

Actually I already found their course a while ago and I use some info and some pictures from it in my lectures (always referencing original authors btw ;-))
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
fred02

Post by fred02 »

fireball wrote:Actually I already found their course a while ago and I use some info and some pictures from it in my lectures (always referencing original authors btw ;-))
Great (and thanks for taking time to reply). BTW, how is your course going?