Reactos Update (Was: ReactOS applications needed?)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Reactos Update (Was: ReactOS applications needed?)

Post by vicmarcal »

DOSGuy wrote:Update what, exactly? Someone would have to create updates to download, which definitely seems like a waste of time at this point. It's not necessary to create patches to allow users to update alpha software. Let's not create more work for the dev team until we have a stable product that people actually use for more than testing before we add in the ability to update the OS without reinstalling it.
Well, since Naums wants to create it, he is really saving coding time :)
A real big updater is a project that obvioulsy takes time, but as Naums said he wants to go from simpler one to a complex one little by little. This shouldn't need big dev cooperation(aka stealing ReactOS coding time) but the other way around..he will be improving a code that sooner or later will be needed :)
0.4 is not far away...2013 must be its year(ofc this is my personal, not project, pov)...and 0.4 is not beta, but a great step forward..why not having for that time a cool updater? :)
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

By all means, create the updater, but who is going to create the updates? It's fine for it to exist, but it won't need to exist for a long time.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

vicmarcal wrote:...and 0.4 is not beta, but a great step forward..why not having for that time a cool updater? :)
Because in my opinion, there is no point focusing on something that shouldn't be useful for the project immediately and onward. I would more like to see the Devs work on bigger bugs and gaps then working on something useful on the long run, but useless for an alpha project.
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
fred02

Post by fred02 »

naums wrote:I've read some of your posts, and wanted to say a thing here. Don't make it to complicated at first. The Updater should work
naums wrote:If there are files that have been modified by the user, he will probably not want to update the system at all - and espacially not with my updater. The first thing: there is no user-interaction involved while updating. The User will start the updater and it does it's job. The User will not decide which files have to be updated and which not. He will most likely break the system by doing that.
Agree with that. Also, if the user replaced some files, he probably knows enough about the system to either do the update himself, or replace them again afterwards. So even for version 3.0 it should not be an show-stopper, IMHO.
ArmyMan007 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:...and 0.4 is not beta, but a great step forward..why not having for that time a cool updater? :)
Because in my opinion, there is no point focusing on something that shouldn't be useful for the project immediately and onward. I would more like to see the Devs work on bigger bugs and gaps then working on something useful on the long run, but useless for an alpha project.
The thing about open source and voluntary contributions is that people work on what they find interesting for them in their free time. Or think about it the other way around. Would you rather have an installer, even if it does not correspond to your expectancies, or nothing at all? (And before you answer, remember that you have the choice not to use it and even not to install it on your computer).
naums

Post by naums »

So. At this point the discussion, whether the updater is needed or not, is pretty pointless, for it is nearly finished - untested and maybe unstable and maybe fatal to use, but finished. I'll show the updater at chemnitzer linux days.

So. Dear DOSguy:
You wrote:
but who is going to create the updates?
Apparently you do. The thing about software is, that one can write an application, that does not only do the client-part but the server-part as well. So. If you have the client, which I pretty much wrote and the server (guess what: I did that too)-program, then (if done properly - I wouldn't believe in that) the server will update his files on his own. The client gets the files from the update-Server. There will be no .cab-Archives or the stuff MS does with their updater. There will be no GUI for the Updater - neither the server, nor the client-part - but this might fit for you, right, DOSguy.

Soooo. now I'm going to test my code, and compile and do stuff in Ros and maybe - the code will be finished til the weekend (on CLT). If the code is rejected by the devs of ReactOS - then you will probably have no Updater till ... someone writes a new one.

Until then - Cya.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

As I said...if someone wants me to create a fast GUI, one-two button and 3 animations...I can do it if needed ;)
When Naums finishes the client CLI version, it wont be really difficult for me to create a basic GUI.
Btw, the Updater project can go into an experimental tool..until being stable or enhanced or complete :)
But sooner or later it will be a nice addition :)
naums

Post by naums »

If you want to do a GUI, I might want to add some command-line-parameters, for just checking for updates and stuff. So your GUI can actually do somthing nice and so there is not just a button "Update" and when one clicks that, the command line pops up.

Is the Tooltip-thing (down on the right) implemented in ReactOS?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Do you mean tray icons? Or the bubble notification?
naums

Post by naums »

bubble notifications. Tray icons are implemented... :)
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

naums wrote:So. At this point the discussion, whether the updater is needed or not, is pretty pointless, for it is nearly finished - untested and maybe unstable and maybe fatal to use, but finished. I'll show the updater at chemnitzer linux days.

So. Dear DOSguy:
You wrote:
but who is going to create the updates?
Apparently you do. The thing about software is, that one can write an application, that does not only do the client-part but the server-part as well. So. If you have the client, which I pretty much wrote and the server (guess what: I did that too)-program, then (if done properly - I wouldn't believe in that) the server will update his files on his own. The client gets the files from the update-Server. There will be no .cab-Archives or the stuff MS does with their updater. There will be no GUI for the Updater - neither the server, nor the client-part - but this might fit for you, right, DOSguy.

Soooo. now I'm going to test my code, and compile and do stuff in Ros and maybe - the code will be finished til the weekend (on CLT). If the code is rejected by the devs of ReactOS - then you will probably have no Updater till ... someone writes a new one.

Until then - Cya.
I have no idea what you said, but you came off like a (word I can't say without getting a warning). All I asked was who was going to create the updates, and you replied that I would, but I think you meant that you would?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
naums

Post by naums »

You know what - the discussion isn't going anywhere, so I'm not answering to stupid questions anymore. Sorry for me beeing an ass, but sometimes I get angry, when I read some nice and pretty clever questions around here. Then I tent to not-like these people and begin playing with their words.

Have fun.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm sure that many stupid questions have been asked in this thread, but I don't think that mine was one of them. I said that an updater wasn't needed yet -- which I still think is true -- but vicmarcal pointed out that it wouldn't take any time away from the dev team since naums was creating it. Great! So I asked who would be creating the updates that it would download, again hoping that the answer wouldn't be "the dev team". If the answer is "naums", all that was necessary was to say "I will". If that's the case, you have my wholehearted support and I hope that you have great success and all your dreams come true.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I know this isn't needed because all of us love ReactOS project and we love anyone who is working on something for ReactOS, but just in case...keep the good and cool mood.
We're here to have fun so let's dont piss others off.
Don't forget these words: We're all in the same boat. Enemies are out there.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

DOSGuy wrote:I'm sure that many stupid questions have been asked in this thread, but I don't think that mine was one of them. I said that an updater wasn't needed yet -- which I still think is true -- but vicmarcal pointed out that it wouldn't take any time away from the dev team since naums was creating it. Great! So I asked who would be creating the updates that it would download, again hoping that the answer wouldn't be "the dev team". If the answer is "naums", all that was necessary was to say "I will". If that's the case, you have my wholehearted support and I hope that you have great success and all your dreams come true.
Yes DosGuy, the updates can be created in the server side and they are made by an automated script(if I 've understood it correctly).
ReactOS devs are not going to create the updates for sure.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

The idea would be that for each revision a script computes the diff or, the server computes the diff between your revision and the latest one available. So no ReactOS dev making the update "by hand".