Reactos Search prototype

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Reactos Search prototype

Post by vicmarcal »

The search in files under Windows 7 *sucks*. It misses a lot of results.
Seriously, I miss the Windows XP search Dog frequently.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Windows 7 killed search. I would love to get an answer from Microsoft about what they were thinking when they killed off the powerful search function from Windows XP. What could the reason possibly be, that it was too useful?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

vicmarcal wrote:The search in files under Windows 7 *sucks*. It misses a lot of results.
Seriously, I miss the Windows XP search Dog frequently.
when you go to the folder you want to search with windows explorer and type the query in the search box then it uses brute force search.
in windows 8 it's even worse :(

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Personally, I preferred the Windows 9x/NT 4 versions of search.

Even for a simple filename search, the XP version had a nasty habit of trying to search inside ZIP files - which doesn't sound like a bad idea until you discover how slow their zip file processor is. No idea how they managed to make it that slow - even a 4.77mhz PC/XT running from a floppy disk could list a zip file's content in seconds. Searching a large file share with thousands of zips files could take all day unless you applied a registry hack to make it skip looking inside zip files.

You should really see how fast Windows 95 can do a filename search on a 320GB FAT32 SATA drive full of misc files. Just minutes.

Also, people should really be weary of search tools that index documents as they may be caching bits of sensitive data.

There was a nice little third party search tool out there called "agent ransack" that seemed to do things the sane Win9x way. Unless I am mistaken, that is not open source though.

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

SomeGuy wrote:Personally, I preferred the Windows 9x/NT 4 versions of search.

Even for a simple filename search, the XP version had a nasty habit of trying to search inside ZIP files - which doesn't sound like a bad idea until you discover how slow their zip file processor is. No idea how they managed to make it that slow - even a 4.77mhz PC/XT running from a floppy disk could list a zip file's content in seconds. Searching a large file share with thousands of zips files could take all day unless you applied a registry hack to make it skip looking inside zip files.

You should really see how fast Windows 95 can do a filename search on a 320GB FAT32 SATA drive full of misc files. Just minutes.

Also, people should really be weary of search tools that index documents as they may be caching bits of sensitive data.

There was a nice little third party search tool out there called "agent ransack" that seemed to do things the sane Win9x way. Unless I am mistaken, that is not open source though.
but usually you choose which folders to index (example "my document"), advanced computer users like to have everything under control including the indexer :)

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

ultraexplorer and xplorer2

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

These must go in the Epic Win thread too :)

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

And don't forget the CompatDB.

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

SomeGuy wrote:And don't forget the CompatDB.
added xplorer2 yesterday but i forgot ultraexplorer

nicoalta01

Post by nicoalta01 »

Any news?
Admin on Facebook Page ReactOS Italy http://www.facebook.com/ireactos

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thread necromancy... Locked!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.