wine and react-os "bug-for-bug" compatibility wit

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactux

wine and react-os "bug-for-bug" compatibility wit

Post by reactux »

http://www.winehq.org/site/wine_features
there a feature called bug for bug compatibility with windows
and i don't understand:

-what is it for
-for debuging in order to assure that the bug comes fom windows and not from wine???
-for better compatibility

what are the implications... of that kind of implementation

knowing that wine is providing a wrapper and react-os an os have them implemented this feature in a different way? (removing it in react-os for example)

by the way i don't want to do a polemic and/or discredit this project... i was just wondering about an implementation and by the way:
-i love the react-os and the wine project
-this thing is public for wine (it is on the feature list)

mabe ont implementing this feature can led to compatibility problems...
by the way i think the system implementation that has nothing to do with compatibility such as the graphic layer that is in the kernel has not this feature...

StringCheesian

Post by StringCheesian »

Bug-for-bug compatibility means, whenever there's a bug in the way Windows talks to apps, Wine/ReactOS try to behave the same way (including the bug).

reactux

Post by reactux »

StringCheesian wrote:Bug-for-bug compatibility means, whenever there's a bug in the way Windows talks to apps, Wine/ReactOS try to behave the same way (including the bug).
so there is still the windows bug???
can't they be removed
and why some people that tryed to run some virus failled
is this because of an incomplete features port of some dll???

so if i have well understood:
-the aplication behave exactly the same way,having the same problem with the windows dll
-the os itself has less bugs???(what can't be interfaced inderectly to programs???)
Last edited by reactux on Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner »

If we think some windows api has a bug we still do what it does. There is countless number of apps that might depend on it functioning that way. And for all we know it might not even be a bug, we just think it is. Many times we come across things in MSDN which say one thing but the api does something a little different. It is better to just stick with what the api is actually doing.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

some api in windows nt4 works 100% fine but in windows 2000 does not and in windows xp some api does not working fine it did in nt4 or win2000. THat why we are aming for 100% bugfree api implementions. and some thing in msdn as brandon say is wrong, good prove is when ms write only for windows 98 and 95 but the roule is same in windows 2000/xp or is bad documentions (good example is directdraw, that why it take time).