Help Me Again!!!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ciberyane

Help Me Again!!!

Post by ciberyane »

First, thank you for help me previusly!

But, i need help again, the teacher ask me 3 questions:

1) In a Linux, open source and source code access allows "certain class of users with sufficient knowledge" to adapt the system to "needs". Does not it seem contradictory objectives React OS for a user "sufficient knowledge" ... free access to the source code ... to adjust the system and "keep giving function and looks similar to Windows" and ... well give "binary compatibility" with applications "present and future" developed for Windows?
ciberyane

Re: Help Me Again!!!

Post by ciberyane »

2) What comparative advantages offered by the fact that I React is written primarily in C and some parts in C + +, while Windows ... apparently ... is written in assembly language?
ciberyane

Post by ciberyane »

3) Silberschatz al. (2006, p. 52)) states "the engineering of a system as large as a modern operating system should be done carefully so that the system works properly and can be easily changed. A common method is to divide the task into smaller components, rather than having a monolithic system. Each of these modules should be a well-defined part of the system, with inputs, outputs and functions carefully specified. '
List and detail the pros and cons of developing an operating system (or kernel) as models Monolithic, modular, microkernel, virtual machine, etc.. and mention which model adopts the OS you studied (ReactOS) and offers advantages over other commercial operating systems.

Excuse me for bothering so much but my idea is to show at my university as ReactOS project to pass the course of Operating Systems

P.D.: You should send the answers to the teacher this sunday at night.

thank you very much again for your help

LUIS RIVAS
UDO ANZOATEGUI
VENEZUELA
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Your teacher has absolutely no idea what he is talking about if he asked question 2. Windows is written in C.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

1. It is not contradictory, in that the ReactOS foundation as a collective is only working towards full Windows compatibility. What others outside the project does with the code has no bearings on us as long as they follow the terms of the GPL. Even if someone makes a new OS out of our code, it is still possible that they might have improved some things in ways that didn't break compatibility.

2. The advantage of using C over assembly is mostly portability and not being quite as tedious as using assembly. Z98 is right that Windows is coded primarily in C as well, so there is no advantage over Windows in that regard.

3. ReactOS uses a hybrid kernel. There is no advantages over Windows here since it is also a hybrid kernel. Most use hybrid these days, while a good number of the older ones were monolithic. In general, hybrid kernels, from what I understand, would have less performance penalties from message passing and context switching between kernel and user modes when compared to monolithic. I could answer more, but my knowledge here is limited, and you could do your own digging through the articles. That would help it sink in better.

You'd find a lot of what you are looking for from Wikipedia on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_kernel
ciberyane

Post by ciberyane »

Thank you very much!!!
You are the maximum!!!
Your answer was very fast,
;)