I tested ReactOS on virtualbox

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ProzacR

I tested ReactOS on virtualbox

Post by ProzacR »

Downloaded preloaded image.
First noteced that net use not implemented, that would be very usefull. :(
Also notised that web browser like Firefox was not preinstalled that whould be usefull too.
So I found sort of package manager and failed to install the latest Firefox, but installed 3.6.
Download of my file witch was 10+Mb stalled from drive.google.cm host.
So I made iso with mkisofs on Linux. It mounted OK, but copy->paste failed from it to desktop.
I will keep interest in this OS, and will test at least next version for sure. ;)
gonzoMD

Re: I tested ReactOS on virtualbox

Post by gonzoMD »

ProzacR wrote:Downloaded preloaded image.
First noteced that net use not implemented, that would be very usefull. :(
Also notised that web browser like Firefox was not preinstalled that whould be usefull too.
So I found sort of package manager and failed to install the latest Firefox, but installed 3.6.
Download of my file witch was 10+Mb stalled from drive.google.cm host.
So I made iso with mkisofs on Linux. It mounted OK, but copy->paste failed from it to desktop.
I will keep interest in this OS, and will test at least next version for sure. ;)
Hello ProzacR,

Which Image did you use? 0.3.14 or current Trunk? Trunk is more actual and contains MANY Bugfixes since 0.3.14. http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/
Many CLI Programs are not complete, maybe this are good entry points for new developers. http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Development_Introduction
Firefox is not included because ReactOS will become a bare bone OS whithout anything preinstalled. (AFAIK there is Wine Internet explorer but it doesn't work)
RAPPS (The Package Manager) is maintained by Daniel Reimer, so you may contact him if something doesn't work.

Nice that you are interrested in testing ReactOS, you may learn about Debugging: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging to find the source of existing bugs.
Then you should search for existing bugs, or if they not exist you can open a new issue, here: http://jira.reactos.org

good luck and much fun with ReactOS
ProzacR

Post by ProzacR »

I used 0.3.14. I will try trunk later. ;)
milon

Post by milon »

ProzacR wrote:Also notised that web browser like Firefox was not preinstalled that whould be usefull too.
We're intentionally not pre-installing broswers. We want the users to have a choice in what browser they use. You can easily get a browser by using the built-in application manager (or whatever it's called - it's in the start menu).
Mynameisasquirrel

Post by Mynameisasquirrel »

In the newest trunk build. Everything in the package manager is out of date. I installed opera 9. When I launched the browser it sent me to the update page.
When I tried to upgrade to Opera 11, the installer hanged. I had to kill it in task manager.

One feedback I would like is a better task manager. I wish the windows task manager was more like Process explorer. I usually use process explorer instead of the default task manager and Process explorer allows the user to replace the default. Having a kill feature would be useful for dealing with stubborn processes.
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

Yeah most of the things in the Application Manager are outdated or don't even install (since they don't link right to a .exe). Firefox 3.6 does install and it deos update to 13.x if I can recall right, but Opera doesn't update as the user above me said and it hangs on the 11.x installation screen. I have also tried to install Google Chrome and it didn't install either, but I'm not so worried about it yet. I would like to see some type of browser installed at first since it is slightly annoying to have to install your own browser out of the two (which seem to be the only ones to work out of the box) but it is very understandable for it to be a bare-bones OS at the installation. If the developers want it to be there, then they should at least fix Wine's version of Internet Explorer so that it is at least usable.

Currently I've had ReactOS online with programs running (writing, reading, and deleting files) without any issues thus far for 6 days straight in a virtual box machine. If you also wants some information it is indeed connected to the internet, and it has (from the last time I checked) 96MBs of received data. I can't wait for when the next ReactOS version comes out so I can update and test that as well, but great job developers!
FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase