Suggestion: Fixing ROS Explorer & Resize bug

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zydon

Suggestion: Fixing ROS Explorer & Resize bug

Post by zydon »

1. ROS Explorer:
a. Problem - Delay in showing Treeview (Drive and Folder) and Listview (Files and Folders) section.
b. Solution - Rewrite ROS Explorer using Regedit codes and design concept and rules. Then improve it from there. Start with a simple single form as the Regedit application and then improve to the MDI feature after the next release.

2.Resize Bug:
a. Problem - After the mouse left button release the form resize still happen if the mouse pointer moves.
b. Solution - Pretty explanatory. Stop capturing the new form size as soon as mouse button released. Not a few micro seconds after that.

I'm referring to ROS Release 0.3.14 in making these suggestions.

Pisarz

Re: Suggestion: Fixing ROS Explorer & Resize bug

Post by Pisarz »

IIRC, ROS Explorer is being rewritten at the moment, so there is no point in developing and fixing the old one.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Explorer itself is done, but the shell32 basics in the background, which the old one ignored completely are not yet.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

is there any workaround? (and now don't say the old explorer :p)

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

That was my intention ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

zydon

Post by zydon »

I don't mind the Explorer still using the same Shell engine since it first created. I just hope the Treeview and Listview should be fixed with a workaround reducing the drawing tasks similar to Regedit.

The current Explorer displaying Treeview and Listview were likely made for Win9x redraw every line and then refresh over and over again instead showing it all at once per refresh cycle. Currently, it waste processing power and used more local loops than it supposed to that delaying other multitasking thread to get their message through the system loop.

I also don't mind Explorer didn't quickly clear last drawing and still showing previous content until the new content is ready to be displayed rather than waiting annoying line-by-line drawing and repeated refreshing that hurts the eyes.