ReactOS can save me or not? Gamer here, WoW

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

worugru

ReactOS can save me or not? Gamer here, WoW

Post by worugru »

Hello everyone,

First of all i am posting this topic after i made a research in forums and the latest post about the situation i have found has dated old as 2008, so i think it is ok that i post this topic.

Currently i did not start the use ReactOS yet, because i am checking what is the possibilites, and i would like to get away from windows because of its horrible source use that is meant only for making people buy new hard-ware, even thought there is nothing new in "new" windows. And i have read about ReactOS just 2 days ago on a blog, and it was written you can play, but i could not find the same answer in forums here:

So the question, Can i play World of Warcraft and Warcraft 3 on ReactOS?

I am a gamer but i actually play only 2 games. World of Warcraft and warcraft 3

As a result of windows wonderful system and everything, my computer that i bought at 2008, even thought i was playing over 45fps in that time, now with same game with even minimum grafics, i cant play even with 10 fps now. Only thing changed in time is windows. Would ReactOS make it work , like the it used to be? With ubuntu or lubuntu my computer is capable of working fast as before, but if i use a middle-program such as WINE result is most likely same as windows. So will ReactOS save my low-income butt?
DOSGuy

Re: ReactOS can save me or not? Gamer here, WoW

Post by DOSGuy »

It might run them, but it would be unlikely to be faster than Windows, and also unlikely to be totally glitch free. Besides being in alpha stage, ReactOS doesn't take advantage of multiple CPUs, so you'd be under-utilizing your system if you have a dual or quad-core system. For a variety of reasons, it will probably be a few years before ReactOS can be considered a stable OS for every day use that people can and should use as an alternative to Windows. But please do test ReactOS in a virtual environment and let us know if the games work for you.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

worugru wrote:With ubuntu or lubuntu my computer is capable of working fast as before, but if i use a middle-program such as WINE result is most likely same as windows. So will ReactOS save my low-income butt?
With wine the WoW and W3 are said to be even a bit faster than on Windows, it depends on your drivers. On ReactOS, currently you will probably not succeed, because you won't be able to install your GPU drivers -> very low FPS. I'm not sure, though, could you try with a build of recent revision first in VirtualBox?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
reactos is using software rendering that is slow u are beter using windows xp
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OpenGL is rendered by Hardware if you use drivers which dont make ROS die. VBox drivers work fine as example.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Also both WoW and W3 can be set to use OpenGL instead of DirectX.
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

First, you have a few options so I will lay them out ok.

Option 1: You stay with Linux and install Wine and keep your full freedom and use a OS that promotes freedom and works well. Linux is now great for gaming and Wine will work with lots of games if you got the right drivers. A good example is that I can't get the Sims 3 to work on the Emachines, but they will work on the Toshiba.
Option 2: Try it on ReactOS and risk it not working. I love Linux and ReactOS is still in Alpha and it does not even play Windows 95 games yet, so stick with Wine.
Option 3: Go to Winwordpc.com and get a OS/2 and hope your game runs on it. I have no idea if it will.
Option 4: Install PC-BSD and use Wine.
Option 5: Get a Beta of Windows that is abandanware and as such is not agaist the rules of this forum.
Option 6: What ever you want.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Is there any particular reason why you're here evangelising for Linux? If we were Linux users, we wouldn't care if ReactOS achieved its goals or not.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Linuxgamer94 wrote:First, you have a few options so I will lay them out ok.
Option 7: Buy CrossOver
Option 8: Find a native port of the game.
Option 9: Find an similar native game
Option 10: <and so on>
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

Linuxgamer94 wrote: Option 5: Get a Beta of Windows that is abandanware and as such is not agaist the rules of this forum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware#Law
In most cases, software classed as abandonware is not in the public domain, as it has never had its original copyright officially revoked and some company or individual may still own rights. While sharing of such software is usually considered copyright infringement, in practice copyright holders rarely enforce their abandonware copyrights and may allow the product to de facto lapse into the public domain to such an extent that enforcement becomes impractical.

Rarely has any abandonware case gone to court. But it is still unlawful to distribute copies of old copyrighted software and games, with or without compensation, in any Berne Convention signatory country
so it is probably breaking the forum rules

Option 1 windows xp newer
Option 2 linux BSD wine CrossOver
Option 3 old games win98 lite second pc not conectet to the internet
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

This message was deleted by a moderator for violation of code of conduct #1.
leppy232

Post by leppy232 »

DOSGuy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 am Is there any particular reason why you're here evangelising for Linux? If we were Linux users, we wouldn't care if ReactOS achieved its goals or not.
I am a Linux user -- typing this from a 0.4.15 VM running on top of Kubuntu. I definitely care about if it does succeed, because who wouldn't want an open source Windows? Even if for no other reason than having a FOSS version of Windows would make FOSS more palatable to the masses, but also because a. part of why I am a Linux user is that Windows 10 was my absolute limit (I vowed for 8.1 to be the final version because, uh, no thanks on forced updates and that horrible UI refresh that changed things just to change things -- but am I talking about 10 or 11?) and b. WINE isn't exactly foolproof. It's amazing and doesn't get enough credit, but at the same time, I have had issues with old Windows software that deals with physical hardware (e.g. an EEPROM flasher) with WINE that forced me to reboot into Windows (Vista x64 SP2 if you're curious). And speaking of physical hardware, Linux has been abandoning support for old hardware recently, so it's nice to have an option to keep, say, a PIII/GeForce4 combo going with an OS that you can trust to go online and get stuff like patches for your games.
Also, it's legally free, so for OP who's avowedly low-income and wants to stop using Windows sooner rather than later, that definitely helps.
Currently using: 0.4.15-x86-dev-4872-g8a3db97 (VirtualBox)
Pretty good so far, keep up the good work! :D
Formerly tested on: Dell Inspiron 2200, HP Pavilion p7-1155, want to test on: Dell Inspiron 8500, custom-build ROS machine (P4 2.8GHz, GF6800 Ultra)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, as you already realized that post is quite old. I will keep the post anyways. Why?! Why not?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...