Installation monitor and uninstaller

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon

Re: Installation monitor and uninstaller

Post by milon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Black_Fox wrote:If a process creates another process, they should be in parent->child relationship, thus you know what is created by installation and what is not. Or does that apply only to *nix? Also there's this thing that seems to do what this topic is looking for.
A running process is different than files sitting on the harddrive or registry entries. The main conern isn't with a running process, but any files or registry entries made by the process over its lifespan on the system.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 pm

I meant only the installation, but the using of the program could be the same - you can trace disk accesses (FileMon) and the registry access probably too. I would argue with you, however, that the running process is the most interesting to us in this case :)

milon

Post by milon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm

If you mean during install time, then I agree. I thought you meant during the life of the application on the operating system.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:51 pm

I meant both, it should be still possible (though I'm not sure to which extent computationally feasible) to watch it even after installation, you could watch for e.g. C:/some/sort/of/path/to/binary.exe to start and then follow what it does.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:37 pm

This doesn't scale too well. Imagine more than few apps being observed, while any other I/O operation ongoing, this would affect your OS just as another antivirus, if not worse.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:54 pm

This really seems like paying for an armed security guard when a dog would do. There are free uninstallers that provide "good enough" leftover junk removal, but we're entertaining the idea of a resource-eating system monitor to catch that one last file or registry entry that might be missed? Unless we're expecting ReactOS to be used in nuclear plants or NASA or something, in some hypothetical system where the OS can never be reinstalled to restore lost performance/stability without lives being lost, it hardly seems necessary to be that obsessed with every single file and registry entry that an uninstalled program leaves behind. Of course, in such a situation, each program would be run in a sandbox or VM, and you would simply delete the VM to completely uninstall the program. I guess what I'm asking is, who would have a legitimate need for this feature?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 am

I don't know if it slipped past, but I'll mention again that there already is that Ashampoo Uninstaller 5 that does (or says it does) exactly this thing we are talking about.
Softpedia wrote:Glitches aside, compared to the previous releases, we noticed that the speed of the install operation has been greatly increased thanks to the new real-time monitoring method. If monitoring is not enabled, the program lets you select the executable setup file and logging will start automatically. Ashampoo UnInstaller’s functionality is not reduced to the programs whose installation it oversees. On the contrary, it can be used for any application already on the system, if you want a more thorough removal procedure.

fred02

Post by fred02 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:53 pm

DOSGuy wrote:This really seems like paying for an armed security guard when a dog would do. There are free uninstallers that provide "good enough" leftover junk removal,
Totally agree.
DOSGuy wrote:Unless we're expecting ReactOS to be used in nuclear plants or NASA or something, in some hypothetical system where the OS can never be reinstalled
And I really hope nobody plays with installing/uninstalling software on such systems anyway. ;)

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 am

fred02 wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:Unless we're expecting ReactOS to be used in nuclear plants or NASA or something, in some hypothetical system where the OS can never be reinstalled
And I really hope nobody plays with installing/uninstalling software on such systems anyway. ;)
That sounds like a legal disclaimer we should throw in that I've seen before. Something to the effect of, "I understand that this software is not designed for life support or missions critical systems and that the publisher assumes no liability for any injuries, damages, or loss of life or property related to use of said software for such purposes."

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am

Welllll.... I doubt that would be necessary, but the project shall get its own advice and decide itself. They, after all, SAY that ReactOS is in alpha status and not reliable. - Generally, putting some legal thingy somewhere without fully understanding what it does is not all too advisable. - (And when you produce an exception, it means that the general rule might be inclusion, or why else do you put in an exception? - And should your exception not "work" or be successfully challenged, you hava, abracadabra, the inclusion.)

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:14 pm

A statement disclaiming liability for damage caused by software in ANY situation is standard legal cruft in the license of almost every program I've ever installed.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

fred02

Post by fred02 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 pm

PurpleGurl wrote:
fred02 wrote:
That sounds like a legal disclaimer we should throw in that I've seen before.
No, my thought was that in general nobody modifies such systems by themselves, whatever OS/system/controller it is running.
PurpleGurl wrote:Something to the effect of, "I understand that this software is not designed for life support or missions critical systems and that the publisher assumes no liability for any injuries, damages, or loss of life or property related to use of said software for such purposes."
DOSGuy wrote:A statement disclaiming liability for damage caused by software in ANY situation is standard legal cruft in the license of almost every program I've ever installed.
Indeed, GPLv2 sections 11 & 12 pretty much take care of this already.