workstations

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel

workstations

Post by Daniel »

I would humbly suggest that someday when things are much further along that consideration be given to some kind of workstation startup option where the OS would load a minimal overhead in a very optimized fashion. This would be extremely useful for heavy memory and CPU loads in a work type environment such as graphic artists, game developers, audio/video encoding-decoding, and so on. I have long had the desire to be able to load some minimal session of Windows when working in 3D rendering applications. Maybe this is something that could be considered.

As always, the developers are the experts, and I assume that they are far better enabled to evaluate the need and feasibility of suggestions than I am.

Quvack

Post by Quvack »

The great thing about ReactOS being all open source, etc.. is that when its compatible/stable enough there is no doubt that there will be configurations/distributions which will be tweaked into being best suited for specific tasks/environments, so its something which will happen without a doubt I think :)

florian

Post by florian »

I thought of hardware profiles like with laptops: mobility (battery - low energy use) and desktop (normal energy) - that would be a cool thing. But as it was posted above the advantage of open source is that you can tweak it much better in order to increase ressources. Anyway such a ressource-software profile and a battery-hardware profile...

TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

florian wrote:I thought of hardware profiles like with laptops: mobility (battery - low energy use) and desktop (normal energy) - that would be a cool thing. But as it was posted above the advantage of open source is that you can tweak it much better in order to increase ressources. Anyway such a ressource-software profile and a battery-hardware profile...
inevitably, when the OS reaches a level of maturity, more people are going to come in and code the hell out of it adding new features etc. I am looking forward to that day :)