New user creation suspended

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexei

Re: New user creation suspended

Post by alexei »

Just do something custom to login procedure. I mean something unique, not from phpBB or other well known engine known to spammers. I hardly believe they would add special processing just to post to ROS forums.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We have our own procedure. RosCMS Login
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

So how long is new user creation going to stay disabled?

This may be turning away potentially valuable new community members, although anyone really interested in contributing to the project, and qualified to do it, could find a dozen different ways to contact devs.
nicekiwi9

Post by nicekiwi9 »

How did the spam get in? Is it actually real humans signing up and posting, or bots?
nicekiwi9

Post by nicekiwi9 »

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

nicekiwi9 wrote:How did the spam get in? Is it actually real humans signing up and posting, or bots?
It may be a combination. Humans sign up and turn it over to bots. It is possible that quite a few spammers are part of a "sleeper cell" that is already here. Another possibility is hijacked accounts. Maybe spyware harvests someone's details on how to get it.

Here is a thought. A number of boards have CAPTCHA challenges for every post. Sure, I would hate to see that here. But what if someone gets that during their first 10-15 posts and then graduates to another member class?

I like the "play through" approach above. It is certainly easier than the CAPTCHA stuff, and yet a little more complex, with play pattern analysis just in case the bots can accurately trace the steps.
rosfanatic

Post by rosfanatic »

Just yesterday I noticed the news section of a personal website was loading very slowly.. 45 seconds actually. Took to poking around in the database and finally figured out spammers had been adding comments to just a few news stories, and ran them up to 40k of them! Deleted everything and locked the sucker down.
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

It looks like new account creation has been turned back on? I just saw a piece of spam created by a new account.
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

Confirmed, register dialog is now online. Checked by clicking on 'Register'
The123king

Post by The123king »

I'm sure it's possible to review all posts by members with 5 posts or less. If they're spam, delete the account, if they're not, make the post public. I guarantee this will cut the viewable spam to (nearly) nothing
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This requires that the tagging of accounts with less than X posts was working correctly. It's not.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Impossible. Most spam accounts here created more than 15 posts in a day. Thus we cant use that as a argument for spam accounts.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
milon

Post by milon »

EmuandCo wrote:Impossible. Most spam accounts here created more than 15 posts in a day. Thus we cant use that as a argument for spam accounts.
Sounds like they post more frequently than human accounts. If you watch the number of posts/hour for an account that is less than 100hrs old, you'll see clear trends between human and bot activity, I think. (That could be implemented with the new site, though - no need to go to all that work for something that will be deprecated in the nearish future.)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

That might be possible though...