A word about Lindows...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Do you think collaborating with the Lindows programming team would help solve certain issues and enhance ReactOS?

Yes
3%
No
44%
Huh?
54%

Total votes: 39

gnu_rocky

A word about Lindows...

Post by gnu_rocky »

Yo:

It would be nice if the ReactOS team would collaborate with the programmers of Lindows. They may very well have a wealth of APIs, DLLs, and drivers written from the ground up! They might even have an NTFS driver that might solve all problems, even though it is basically Linux with Windows application support. Now thats cool! 8)

Matthew Nawrocki
gnu_rocky

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Eh?

Linspire is linux. The only way they are getting Windows applications running is through Wine. Drivers will be linux based and they don't have an NTFS driver.

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

ged wrote:Eh?

Linspire is linux. The only way they are getting Windows applications running is through Wine. Drivers will be linux based and they don't have an NTFS driver.
...and we're already collaborating with Wine.
It compiles, let's ship it!

Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

mf wrote:
ged wrote:Eh?

...and we're already collaborating with Wine.
...and Linspire is a commercial company...

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

...and Linspire is not compatible with windows.

StringCheesian

Post by StringCheesian »

Lindows (now Linspire) is no longer the attempt to make a Windows-compatible Linux distro that it once was. For whatever reason they gave up on that.

Now, aside from Click-n-Run and regular users running as root (generally considered a dangerous security risk), it's just another Linux distro.

Any progress they made has probably already been contributed to wine, so ReactOS has already benefitted from it.

forart

Post by forart »

Linspire (Lindows) is Linux. Right.

...anyway its goal is similar to ReactOS, to SUBSTITUTE windows.
For this reason Michael Robertson should found ReactOS !!!

I think we have to convince him...
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Patchworks wrote: I think we have to convince him...
Maybe you're too optimistic :wink:

BTW their goals are pretty different...
Linspire goal is to make a linux distribution that is newbe-friendly with a gui that looks like winXP.
ReactOS goal is to make a new os that run windows programs and drivers natively.

For example, do reactOS and macOS share the same goals? OK, they do both plan to be an alternative to windows. But I think their goals are different.

kiba

Post by kiba »

I wonder what GNU-rocky was thinking. :shock:

gnu_rocky

Post by gnu_rocky »

kiba wrote:I wonder what GNU-rocky was thinking. :shock:
HA HA :lol: ! What do you mean?

Stead

Post by Stead »

hrmm, i remember the first time i heard about lindows, and i must admit i got excited at the idea, it sounded like it was going to be a fully compatable with windows software and drivers but it was linux (at least i ahd that opinion from what i read) i remember being grately disapointed with lindows after it was released, i think was a good idea, but has anyone subscribed to the linspire newsletter? I just love how they manage to turn anything in the world thats been into news into advertising about how great linspire is.

anyways, personally i wouldn't like it if reactos started having newsletters like, hey, you saw that natural disaster that happened last week, well if everyone used linspire that wouldn't of happened, everyone would be better off, and the evil microsoft wouldn't have control over the worlds computer systems!

heh, guess this post is just a rant :oops:

more ontopic, Linspire seems more of a business to me, it would be nice if they could help, they must have a lot of good programmers, but personally i don't see how it would help, unless they have most of them working on improving wine.

reactux

Post by reactux »

cmoibenlepro wrote:
Patchworks wrote: I think we have to convince him...
Maybe you're too optimistic :wink:

BTW their goals are pretty different...
Linspire goal is to make a linux distribution that is newbe-friendly with a gui that looks like winXP.
ReactOS goal is to make a new os that run windows programs and drivers natively.

For example, do reactOS and macOS share the same goals? OK, they do both plan to be an alternative to windows. But I think their goals are different.
i think there are not the only one
the main distribution in argentina http://www.pixartargentina.com.ar/produ ... esktop.htm
as a look similar to MS windows
[ external image ]