ReactOS-Update??? (maybe this would work).

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

-I-

ReactOS-Update??? (maybe this would work).

Post by -I- » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:03 pm

reactOS update:
i found quite a nice, Netscape / mozilla / firefox (etc) pluging for the win32 platform, wicht you guys could maybe use....

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

E-mail conversation wrote: IE posible to remove?
> Yes. It does not rely on any IE4+ dll or feature.

How is this update-engine backend'ed?
> We use the data file from MBSA
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... ahome.mspx ) it contains most of the links we need. Almost all the files are hosted on download.microsoft.com

Able to update other software?
> Yes, the plugin is very generic, and can be used to update other products as well.
The website tells the plugin what files need examining, and
returns information about the file.
A maintenance page could be added to the website so that you can add your own products and updates.

Ability to use this for so called 'OEM-like' system installed,
(or in ReactOS's case - other operating systems)

> Since we also sell computer hardware, we are looking at a similar service,
But we'd be using WinPE and combining that with our driver site, driveragent.com, to pre-install Windows onto PCs, with all security updates and driver updates installed.

Profesionalizing the website (maybe even to gain more trust)?
> That could be arranged. Correct, we don't have the time... this site does not earn us any income, so any updates to the site are low priority.

Hosting some sort of user forum?
> Yes, that is a good idea. We can set up a forum. I'll try and set this up over the next few weeks.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:39 pm

This is not an update system, it is just a front end. Plus there is the whole part about being opensource...

-I-

Post by -I- » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:32 pm

ur right, its a binary file that, would, check things like hashes, and file-versions against an online (sort of) database,
So you'd still nead a way to update files (either with a binair patch or unload and replace mechanism). with some sort of installer-package,

BUT. some-one once stated that, What if 'd compile my cource code in a closed-source compiler (like MS visual studio), and publish my source on a webside, would it mean that it wasn't opensource software.

if your website is hosting on windows 2003 server, and your forum build in aspx, and your downloads distributed with "$cost-a-lot$ FTP server"
that doesn't necereraly mean ROS would be LESS opensource... :idea:

but than again, - it was just an idea. ;)

Sarocet

Post by Sarocet » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:17 pm

-I- wrote:some-one once stated that, What if 'd compile my cource code in a closed-source compiler (like MS visual studio), and publish my source on a webside, would it mean that it wasn't opensource software.
:D :D It's the first time i read it. It's more usual people thinking that their programs must be free for using gcc (and not wanting to).

Your source is as open|close as you want it (while it's completely yours, if you use third part source, check their license ;)).