Distro? is reactOS going to come with?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quigs

Distro? is reactOS going to come with?

Post by Quigs »

I was just wondering if ReactOS is going to come with an Internet browser, email client, etc, or if there are going to have to be distros to include them
(specifically for the .30 release)

If not, I guess Ill be making a distro, with
Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, a bit torrent client, some games I can get to work, Video Lan Client (VLC), and 7-zip.... (also include some basic ROS apps)
Any other suggestions / comments?
Monster_user

Post by Monster_user »

I imagine the .30 release won't have them. However I am interest if version 0.6x or later will have them. Some OpenGL (and/or DX6 support) would be appreciated by 0.6x. It could be usefull to show OGL apps, and Windows 2000/XP screensavers running.

USB Mouse support! Gotta have a USB mouse, I had to dig up a PS/2 mouse to try it.

SOLITAIRE!!!!! The only reason I'm interested in this software is to load it on used PCs, and sell them cheap, and fully legit. The customer only wants to get online, and play solitaire, they don't know what else a PC can do...

MSI Installation support, something that will allow us to install it on WinXPsp2 and W2kSp4 (I just updated, thinking about reverting, long enough to install ROS).

Perhaps some kind of Intel, and nVidia, and ATI, video drivers?
-->Uh, still learning ReactOS Looking for a Free OS altenative for Used PCs.
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

I wish reactOS 0.3 will come with Firefox or Amaya (or any other browser they manage to make work). If it have Internet it will need a browser.
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

well maybe it should only have a very basic downloader working (wget?)

than you can download and install the windows version of firefox!!

the whole point of reactOS is that you can install windows apps, where would the fun be if they where already installed ??

IMO 0.3 should not have many apps installed, later versions should.

also I think it might be better for reporting bugs if they are seperate for now, for example some people may download and install 0.3 and have problems installing firefox, any bugs could be ironed out at this stage, if it is preinstalled the error may not be found or the app not run at all.

(I hope that makes sense)
Monster_user

Post by Monster_user »

John Headstrong wrote:the whole point of reactOS is that you can install windows apps, where would the fun be if they where already installed ??

IMO 0.3 should not have many apps installed, later versions should.

(I hope that makes sense)
I agree. I was refering to version 0.6, I think thats sufficient time to have the basics done, and start troubleshooting installation setups.

However, a solitaire game shoul be installed in version 0.3 now that I think of it. Windows without Solitaire, is like coffee without donuts, peas without carrots, cocoa without sugar, peace without harmony, Christmas without caroling, etc.

You've got to have Solitaire. An Installer support by 0.4, and everything else can wait till version 0.6.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Someone needs to update that with 0.2.5...

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

USB support, MSI Installation support and video drivers should be done in all of ReactOS; not just a distro. And ROS devs are already working on them.

Dont have a clue what wget is...but we do not want to have any learning curve for people going from windows to ROS

The fun when there already installed is that it would be very easy to get a basic machine working with all the basics

I understand the point with bugs and maybe not everybody wants the apps I want....which is why I thought about distros.

I would only get working in a distro, what would work if you installed it yourself in ROS.... not going to do any special stuff to make it work

The release plans are part of why I made this post.... I want to know if the things they plan to get working will be included in ROS.

Since solitaire appears to be so important to so many of you I guess I could always include the Firefox plugin and then I can add Minesweeper to..

BTW Does anybody know off hand if all of these licenses are compatible?
meij

Post by meij »

Quigs wrote:Dont have a clue what wget is...but we do not want to have any learning curve for people going from windows to ROS
wget's a pretty easy to use command line downloader for ftp/http (and possibly other protocols?) but its not really that usefull unless you already know the url your looking for..
Googly

Post by Googly »

which is why it should include links http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Just place the Mozilla ActiveX control in and that way you could use explorer to get other required download. That way programs that need the IE activeX control can just have a link to the Mozilla one and work with no problem, and programs that call explorer to get to a set address will work as well. Then you can download your favourate browser and use that with the use of explorer.
Monster_user

Post by Monster_user »

frik85 wrote:See ReactOS release plans:
http://mok.lvcm.com/cgi-bin/reactos/ros ... leasePlans
Thanks, I'll be back when 0.5 comes out... :p ...

2 posts from me, any suddenly quigs thinks solitaire is important to a lot of people. Its the reaction I wanted, but didn't expect.

Mozlilla HAS ActiveX support?? I need to go read the manual again...

What kind of License agreement/EULA would be required for a Distro? I wouldn't mind learning how to put together a Distro package, if I would help sell PCs.
SwissCM

Post by SwissCM »

meij wrote:
Quigs wrote:Dont have a clue what wget is...but we do not want to have any learning curve for people going from windows to ROS
wget's a pretty easy to use command line downloader for ftp/http (and possibly other protocols?) but its not really that usefull unless you already know the url your looking for..
I would prefer not. One of the things I like about windows is the idea that pretty much everything can be done without touching a command line/console. The reliance on the console in linux is one thing that always turns me off and switches me back to windows. I, as an end user, would like ReactOS to stay in that kind of mindset.

Not to say that command line programs should be "banned", only that they should be kept to a minimum, and always try to have some kind of GUI alternative.

I'm not a member of the team or anything, nor am I a developer. I have been keeping a close eye on ReactOS though.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Monster_user wrote: Mozlilla HAS ActiveX support?? I need to go read the manual again...
The Mozilla ActiveX control that replicates the IE one, http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm

And support for ActiveX control in Mozilla, http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm or use XPconnect in Mozilla.