Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

Re: Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Post by DOSGuy »

SomeGuy wrote:Especially since these are ReactOS Goldenapps, does anyone else think the site should work correctly in them? Or am I truly alone in this? :cry:
Wait, you expect ReactOS's website to work in ReactOS? :lol:

Yeah, seriously guys. ReactOS should eventually be directing people to the website in its various Help resources. It would be really nice if the website looked right when they got there.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

The website is not wide at all, i´ll post a picture of my screen:

1366 x 768
[ external image ]
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We got sick of needing to hack phpbb's (and bugzilla's and mediawiki's) login system so decided to use an extension to typo3 that provides forum functionality. More integrated by design, less work on our end to keep things updated.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

jonaspm wrote:The website is not wide at all, i´ll post a picture of my screen:

1366 x 768
[ external image ]
Um... take a look at the horizontal scrollbar in your screenshot and tell me again that the website isn't wide. :lol:
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

DOSGuy wrote: Um... take a look at the horizontal scrollbar in your screenshot and tell me again that the website isn't wide. :lol:
Well, looks like a bug on design, but talking only about design only, it doesn´t look wide, i like it, GOOD WORK!
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Z98 wrote:We got sick of needing to hack phpbb's (and bugzilla's and mediawiki's) login system so decided to use an extension to typo3 that provides forum functionality. More integrated by design, less work on our end to keep things updated.
Can we assume that mm_forum and the dokuwiki are definite decisions then? Also, is there any skin or something to move the forum looks more to the current phpBB forum looks?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Keep in mind a lot of communities use PHPBB forums, and some visitors might shy away from forums that aren't like what they are used to.
swight

Post by swight »

Some things I noticed.
1. the forums don't feel segregated enough with that style choice. Makes it more difficult to focus on any particular topic.
2.Can't find where to sign in to the forums.
3. On the homepage when returning to the page using the back button it should remember if it is on News or Latest Commits. The current set up is bad for people that want to look at more than one without using a bunch of tabs.
4. Number of broken links some of which I don't understand because we have old pages that could be linked to. An example would be the nightly build link.
5. On the homepage neither the Download button or anything around it says anything about what you are downloading. How is the average user going to know what version they downloaded when they decide they need support. It requires the question "the latest version as of when?"
6. Missing links to homepage. Just letting the logo serve that purpose is not enough. While it is common it is not obvious.
7. The position of the Quick Links section should remain consistent across the site rather than being shifted below the navigation links on some pages.It kinda breaks the template approach to website consistency and having the quick links move around between makes it more difficult to find them.

I noticed two other bugs but they where already reported. Didn't file any for these because they where mostly style/ease of use related and might not meet the definition of bug depending on how it is defined. I didn't bother on the broken links because it was never said that this was completed.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

To all who cannot log in: you can login to the whole page using the "myReactOS" thingie in the upper menu bar. There is only one login spot, since the redesign is meant to integrate all systems without constant logging in. You still won't be able to post in forums and there is no way to log out ;)

@swight:
1) There are some styles/images missing for forums atm, bug 7263.
2) See above.
3) I like using a bunch of tabs :) But feel free to file a bug.
4) I'm against linking to current web presentation, the page layout will change and so will the URLs. Let's have most important pages done there first, otherwise there would be still work to do, only later. As you said, the site is not completed, it's just Danny's/Amine's initiative to show us now and have more eyes looking for bugs.
5) The Download button downloads the CMS (content management system) that the page is displayed in, it's a joke (obviously no newbie would get to that page so it doesn't matter), later there will be the download page as is on the current web presentation.
6) I agree. Filed bug 7287.
7) I agree. Filed bug 7288.
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

Hi,

So far we had 30 files bug report about the website revamp, and Danny handled 21 bugs, with 9 being still open.

Special thanks to Black_Fox and hbelusca for the bug reporting and activity :)
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

I have checked the website revamp with Google Chrome latest stable and opened 2 bugs and added information to one existing bug. Hope that helps :) When I have more spare time, I will check the website in more detail and with more browsers.

EDIT:

What I am really missing is a consistent navigation menu for every page! When you're on the homepage, you have the "Quicklinks" on the upper left. This list jumps up and down between pages because of a new box called "Navigation", which actually is nearly a duplicate of the "Quicklinks". When you're on the wiki, there is neither "Quicklinks" nor "Navigation".

I will open an issue in bugzilla with that information.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

If you file a new bug, please check for any existing bug already reporting the issue, one of your bugs is outright duplicity. Thanks for reporting the rest.
rosfanatic

Post by rosfanatic »

was curious what the core web technology is being used on the site - i saw mediawiki mentioned, is this it? and phpbb for the forum?
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The first post that mentioned both mediawiki and phpbb was mine, and I stated that we were not using them.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

K-Meleon 1.5.2 from the golden apps also has the same problem with the sections being jumbled as Firefox 2 and SeaMonkey 1.1.