Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon

Re: Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Post by milon »

That's not surprising - they all use the Gecko engine for layout, IIRC.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

So this is going out soon? Looks OK, still a little concerned about the new forum since I haven't been able to actually get in there an do anything with it.

Recently a particular web site (I won't name names) pushed out a flashy fancy new layout that no one likes. They lost a lot of regular visitors, including myself, as a result of this. The last time I checked their user generated content had gone in to the crapper. :cry:

Thats not going to happen here, but don't underestimate the negative effects of change.
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

i think the forum should look same like it does now. i dont like the new look. it should be styled more

oh and it is endless big out of the content on android
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

1) The layout looks a bit retro, especially the left boxes which need a visual update, the forum, wiki etc
2) I like the full screen area with the latest commits but I can't see previous ones.
3) I would move the stuff on the sides into the middle and making it thinner to keep up with normal site standards.
zehnvor

Post by zehnvor »

I would note that the font verdana is not installed on all systems (e.g. on most linux systems)
it's better when you add sans-serif in font-family
userulluipeste

Post by userulluipeste »

Actually what is needed is for some ReactOS - specific font that looks like hell on all other systems (Windows included) and a message inviting everyone to switch! :lol:
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

When you ignore small details, it basically looks as it looked before but rearranged.
I think you should be more radical in changing the design. It takes more time and effort, but you'll get better results in return.

Instead of being in pain how much time you already invested and continue with this one, I would grab what I have learned as valuable experience and start from the beginning.
alexei

Post by alexei »

Just make new forum look and act exactly like the current one. It's OK. It does not need changes!
The worst thing I noticed is that text is not autoadjusted to the window width anymore - that's unacceptable.
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

ReactOS's website doesn't need new design. ReactOS's website needs minor changes.
jameldino

Post by jameldino »

salam , Hi Reacters the site looks nice good job
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

alexei wrote:Just make new forum look and act exactly like the current one. It's OK. It does not need changes!
The worst thing I noticed is that text is not autoadjusted to the window width anymore - that's unacceptable.
It does! We need something to efficiently stop Spambots.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
alexei

Post by alexei »

It does! We need something to efficiently stop Spambots.
How stopping Spambots may affect "look and feel" of the forum???
You just need to modify/replace registration and login procedures.
The best way would be something unique, I mean non-standard procedure, so bot developers would hesitate spending their time on coding just to post to one site.
Maybe add verification with some random dynamic image readable by human, but hard to analyze programmatically.
swight

Post by swight »

The dynamic image idea is not really useful anymore in my opinion. There are ways around that that are quite simple to program a bot to do.

For a long time you could secure against a bot while not against a human but technology and society has gotten to a point where I don't think it is possible if you are facing an experienced bot creator that knows how to take advantage. I would say more but I don't want to give the local spam bots any hints.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The decision about changing the forum was made at basically the beginning of the transition planning. We are simply not willing to expend the effort to try and hack phpbb to tie it into another CMS' login system. The choice was either go with something built into typo3 or require separate registration. We chose the former.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Whoaoouh !! The new website rocks !