Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrentNewland

Re: Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Post by BrentNewland »

I have noticed the Wine compatibility DB has a lot more functionality than the ReactOS compatibility DB. The source code is available and it's written in PHP.
zehnvor

Post by zehnvor »

I have noticed the Wine compatibility DB has a lot more functionality than the ReactOS compatibility DB.
http://www.reactos.org/compat/?show=version&id=646 -it is nearly the same (?)
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

zehnvor wrote:
I have noticed the Wine compatibility DB has a lot more functionality than the ReactOS compatibility DB.
http://www.reactos.org/compat/?show=version&id=646 -it is nearly the same (?)
I don't know what to say to that. They are not nearly the same. They are not even remotely the same. The WINE one is much more fleshed out, has a lot more functionality, is more usable... is just better in every single way possible.

Not the same. Not by a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long shot.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Having submitted stuff to the Wine AppDB before, I can tell you it is nowhere near as friendly. Perhaps it could be improved, but just off the top of my head:

It is difficult to search for specific items.
There is no good way to randomly browse items (no a..z like ReactOS CompatDB has).
No good way to search for recent tests.
In certain places it doesn't like you using the "back" button.
It relies on WineHQ staff to approve each submitted entry or test. This prevents spam, but in practice WineHQ staff can take a while to approve an entry. ReactOS has even less staff to manage this.
Each entry prominently displays only the most recent tests, making the assumption that each report is as detailed and thought out as the previous. A less detailed test buries potentially helpful information. This also discourages new less verbose tests that may contain helpful information.
For some reason every time I want to click the link to show an older test, I always wind up clicking on the "Distribution" link.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

checked testman with a 4:3 1024x768 Display, compared twe first two but there is no horizontal scrollbar so I don't see the result on the right side completely. Browser: FF17
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

Results are supposed to be below the revisions list, so obviously you don't need horizontal scroll bar. You need to drag the vertical one.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There is a need for a horizontal scrollbar, though it highly depends on used monitor. See this: http://prntscr.com/mp80t - display resolution is 1680x1050, as you can see I have selected 5 revisions, but not even 4 are completely visible. I can scroll using middle-click in the iframe itself, but it's neither obvious nor user-friendly. While it's debatable for what purpose would I want >3 revisions compared at once, the 1024x786 screen won't completely fit even 2.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Black_Fox wrote:There is a need for a horizontal scrollbar, though it highly depends on used monitor. See this: http://prntscr.com/mp80t - display resolution is 1680x1050, as you can see I have selected 5 revisions, but not even 4 are completely visible. I can scroll using middle-click in the iframe itself, but it's neither obvious nor user-friendly. While it's debatable for what purpose would I want >3 revisions compared at once, the 1024x786 screen won't completely fit even 2.
this is what I mean
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

Done, thank you for explanation.

N.B. It's active only on playground.reactos.org/testman, not on the main website!
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
zehnvor

Post by zehnvor »

@fireball :
as I can see, you use my design from typo3 - that's OK, but next time please ask me first ;)

please write me if I can help you somewhere else..
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

zehnvor wrote:@fireball :
as I can see, you use my design from typo3 - that's OK, but next time please ask me first ;)
Pardon?

1. Obviously, I gave you credit, because I liked your improvements:
rev. 752 "- Theme beautification, inspired by Zehnhover and Danny's work." I'm deeply sorry for misspelling your name, though.
2. No code was copied at all, if you look at it, it's totally different (yours is HTML5, as I understand, and Drupal7's theme is usual CSS+HTML)
3. If you do not licence your code to us, then state it clearly and it will be removed from the repository. By submitting your work to the project, as it was committed in the repository, you implicitly gave us the right to use it for rather clearly defined needs - as a replacement for existing reactos.org website design (not any other side project)

OK?

Edited: I think it wasn't committed, but anyway, it is on the playground.reactos.org, and it's our server for trying out various possibilities for a new website. It just can't have something proprietary which can NOT be used as a proposal for substituting existing reactos.org website, including its web design, html/css code, layout of elements and whatever else.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
zehnvor

Post by zehnvor »

I said it's OK...
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

zehnvor wrote:I said it's OK...
Why was that necessary
zehnvor wrote:next time please ask me first "
?
Why should I ask if I work on same thing? That sounds totally inappropriate, like I stole your work to use it in my other project to earn money.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Cool down guys. Seems to be just a misunderstanding
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...