July meeting b point 2

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

July meeting b point 2

Post by dark » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Is there any word on how the applications that refuse to install on server OSes are going to be handled yet? (paint.net, yandex, etc.) I know xp, vista, and 7 allow you to right click the executable, click properties, click compatibility tab, and then select OS version that is reported to the application.

SomeGuy

Re: July meeting b point 2

Post by SomeGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:19 pm

The only solution is for ReactOS to "lie" about its OS version to specific programs. But as as far as I know such a feature is not yet implemented. More than likely an implementation would at least partially mirror that of the XP/Vista "compatibility settings". Wine already has a facility for setting the reported OS version, but I don't think that part is directly usable by ReactOS.

There is also the problem of how certain programs detect the OS version. If they use non standard methods (such as probing DLL functions, file sizes, or version strings) then it may not be possible to fool it.

It would be interesting to test compatibility of various applications under different OS version settings. I know of a couple of older applications that behaved much more nicely under Wine when told it was NT 3.51.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:28 pm

SomeGuy wrote:If they use non standard methods (such as probing DLL functions
I know that this is slightly torn out of context, but checking for existence of a function is IMO actually one of the more proper methods.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:58 am

Done correctly, it can allow graceful degradation of functionality instead of having to create multiple binaries.

Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:34 am

I have had programs complain that you are running Windows 2003 and need to upgrade to SP2