REACTOS IS A DEAD THING

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

classicgamelover85

REACTOS IS A DEAD THING

Post by classicgamelover85 »

Seems this OS is dead anymore... seems its going nowhere. Its still at version 0.3.14 and its been their since I became a FAN!!!!!! WHATS UP???? Maybe I'm being too impatient. I just desire, and I do mean DESIRE STRONGLY for windows to meet its one and true competition. This OS could be the greatest competition for windows and really kick it in the butt. I want to see windows crying at the mercy and feet of ReactOS. HOWEVER! Its not going anywhere is it? How much further before we can call this an OS for everyday use? I want to use this OS instead of any Windows OS, cuz Windows OS sucks. SO lets talk about its production and how far its getting. Lets ease people's fears that this OS may die off one day and never rise as we all hope it would have one day. Lets ease people's worries. SO if they come here and fear this OS will go nowhere then they can read this topic and rest assure that its taking off and its production is being neutered and fed and well taken care of and growing more and more each day into a strong and healthy OS. K?
PurpleGurl

Re: REACTOS IS A DEAD THING

Post by PurpleGurl »

That is how long it has taken. This is actually good time considering the history. Maybe you can help find skilled developers or at least some funding. I want to see this project succeed too. It seems this is the only game in town really, so we need to make it work.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Your concern for ReactOS is very much appreciated. It takes time and money to write good code. If you want to help speed things up, consider donating or getting others to donate to the ReactOS project!

http://www.reactos.org/en/foundation_donate.html

There is actually quite a bit of development activity in ReactOS. Do try out the latest SVN builds. Many, many bugs have been fixed and improvements made. Here is a list of changes just for this month alone:

http://www.reactos.org/archives/public/ ... /date.html

Traditionally ReactOS does not set a time frame for releases. Instead releases follow the natural flow of development. Releases are branched after a period of relative stability and regression testing. (You really wouldn't want an arbitrary release filled with unfixed regressions would you?)
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

If you don't have the patience i will suggest forgetting about ReactOS for the next few years.

The project is far from dead, but its nature is such that it takes a long time to get anything usable or competitive out the door. Still, if you prefer to keep an eye on progress, i suggest testing the latest SVN builds instead of waiting for official releases.
jcalvarez

Post by jcalvarez »

>> I want to use this OS instead of any Windows OS, cuz Windows OS sucks.
Bu the goal of this OS is to be compatible and have a similar behaviour to Windows, so wouldn't it then suck as well?

JC
milon

Post by milon »

classicgamelover85 wrote:Seems this OS is dead anymore... seems its going nowhere. Its still at version 0.3.14 and its been their since I became a FAN!!!!!! WHATS UP???? Maybe I'm being too impatient. ...
Lets ease people's fears ... Lets ease people's worries. ... and rest assure that its taking off and its production is being neutered and fed and well taken care of and growing more and more each day into a strong and healthy OS. K?
Yeah, you're being too impatient. ReactOS 0.3.14 came out in February 2012, and you want a new version 6 months later?

No one is worried that ReactOS is going away. If you want to see the actual progress being made, check out the list of recent commits at CIA.vc. You can also see recent commits on the ROS home page, lower right corner. It's true that there's a long time between official releases, but there's a new ROS build coming out multiple times each day.

Also, neutered = sterile (can't reproduce). I think you meant to say "nurtured" instead. ;)
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

This post seems to fall under the categories "you get what you pay for" and "if you want it done faster, do it yourself". That's a bit of a dick response, but so was the post.

It comes down to, Windows development started in 1981 and took so long to reach to 1.0 that it was called vaporware. It reached 1.0 in 1985, and reached Windows Server 2003 in... you know, 2003. So, it took 22 years for Microsoft to reach the version of Windows that ReactOS is targeting. ReactOS has only been in development for 14 years, and developed in spare time by a small group of unpaid volunteers. Not too shabby!

No new version since February? Well, five to ten new versions are released every day. We're up to revision 57086! The current website, unfortunately, hides that information in the bottom right corner (once again, please let's put it in the middle), so it always looks like there's been no progress since the last release, when in fact development is occurring around the clock, with code changes committed several times each day. Progress is actually impressively fast, given the circumstances.

All anyone can do is be patient and try to recruit more developers. You can also donate money (see the Fundraising bar above) to help the project hire full-time developers. If you're a programmer, you can contribute code. If you're not a programmer, you can contribute bug reports. If you're not willing or able to do any of those things, then you really don't have much right to complain.

And yes, if you think that Windows sucks, then ReactOS should also suck, since our goal is to duplicate Windows. It will hopefully suck less with regards to system requirements, and we have the freedom to add stuff that Windows doesn't have, but it would, ultimately, be a compliment if anyone who dislikes Windows would also dislike ReactOS. If Windows sucks, ReactOS must endeavor to suck, too!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

classicgamelover85 wrote:REACTOS IS A DEAD THING
ReactOS is so popular it has been the #1 choice of ghosts and zombies since 1998! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DukeNukemCZ

Post by DukeNukemCZ »

if PR team start something do (i mean doing PR!) than expect this type of questions on this forum from average joes and players more often :) i think that answers like "then, do it yourself!" will not be enough and lots of local nerds and geeks get stroke from this. :twisted:

yes, and newsletter section rotting too, at least some short news whats going on ? (it doesnt have to be long like regular news but you now, something for average joes :) )
classicgamelover85

Post by classicgamelover85 »

Yes I am the average joe. I would love to report bugs I find but right now I'm having trouble finding a computer to install this on. Yes I know I could do it on a virtual machine, but fooey on VMware. I'd rather do it the right way. I did get it to install on a really old Aspire pc, that is 300mhz processor and only 32 mb of ram. Only problem was the mouse didn't work or the keyboard. When ReactOS started the keyboard and mouse didn't work. Now this is not a bug report out of place here, cuz I know it had nothing to do with the OS itself. So i'm not reporting a bug with keyboard and mouse. The computer itself sucks. I had a hard time getting the mouse and keyboard recognized while using windows xp... its just a fussy machine. But anyways. I'm waiting for the next release for now and then I will install that and search out the bugs. Yes I want to participate in helping. This is how I will do it. I could donate too, but my bills have to come first unfortunately, I don't have a ton to give right now. But I will soon enough. But the point to creating this topic was to help the "average joe" like me who knows nothing about this OS or where it is going--help people like me follow along quickly, rather than tug along slowly behind not sure where this line leads. This is why I made this topic. When I first became a fan to the idea of this project, boy was I amazed and just WOWED! I couldn't wait! NO I COULD NOT! But I had no choice. I killed me. Like a dog teased, a piece of steak dangling on a string in front of me. It would help though to dedicate this topic to guiding people. A news page won't help. That's only a rundown of what recently took place. It didn't help me anyways.
milon

Post by milon »

classicgamelover85 wrote:...It would help though to dedicate this topic to guiding people...
That would be off the topic of this thread (which I would personally rather see fade away). Besides, there's a whole subforum called Tutorials already. Check it out! :)
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

There is an entire Support forum and an entire Newbie Help forum and an entire Tutorials forum. Anyone who needs any kind of help with ReactOS need only look or ask.
classicgamelover85 wrote:When I first became a fan to the idea of this project, boy was I amazed and just WOWED! I couldn't wait! NO I COULD NOT!
Neither could I. I've been waiting for a few years now, and others have been waiting for over a decade. To be excited is understandable, but to make a thread claiming that the project is dead is an insult to the people who are working so hard to make ReactOS what everyone wants it to be. It has taken years, and it will take many more. They need our patience and support.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
kayedee

Post by kayedee »

Well said!
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

<sarcasm>ReactOS is dead. Just like the floppy is dead (wait, still useful for loading custom drivers to windows installs) and the PC (wait, I'm typing on one still) and.........butter!......and........Air!</sarcasm>