Atlassian/Jira

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

Atlassian/Jira

Post by SomeGuy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 am

The latest meeting minutes mention moving to Jira in place of Bugzilla and possibly some other Atlassian products. No doubt there are plenty of advantages to this software, but I am curious what specifically the ReactOS folks like about it?

This appears to be commercial software. I assume licensing is being taken care of, and they feel future licensing is not an issue going forward. But I would be curious to know the details if they care to share them.

Also, haven't heard much about the Compatibility Database rewrite. If they get to a point where that needs testing, I would be interested in kicking it around. (Or are they going with more of a wiki type approach?)

alfanak.net

Re: Atlassian/Jira

Post by alfanak.net » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 am

i think moving to jira is a bad idea
i want know the reason for this step

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:43 am

Atlassian offers free licenses to open source projects. Several Apache projects for example use Jira. It was selected because one of the problems the project suffers from is the inability to keep track of tasks, ie progress updates and timelines. Bugzilla is very bare bones (or nonexistent) in this respect. Atlassian also offers the ability to plug into existing user management systems much more seamlessly (in theory) than a lot of other solutions. As anyone who has ever tried to work with the current RosCMS can tell you, trying to hack together four different (Bugzilla, phpbb, mediawiki, RosCMS) systems that were never intended to be tied together to use a centralized login is an absolute nightmare. Bugzilla is actually one of the worst culprits in this regard, as it relies on a completely different semantic for users. With Atlassian, we're hoping to get this down to just two, since the CMS we intend to use will have the forum built in and I believe a much nicer way of interfacing with the new wiki software as well. And since Atlassian (and by extension Jira) actually has hooks for plugging into different systems, we do not need to basically reintegrate the glue code every time we upgrade one component (in theory).

Note that those who oppose the move will need to present some actual arguments to back their position. Merely stating the position doesn't really tell us anything.

alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am

i am not working in this project so i cant have a real idea about problems you have
but when you talk about bugzilla, i think you exaggerate a little
bugzilla is used in big projects (by mozilla, gnome, kde...) without problems (since they did not replaced it)

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Those big projects either have modified it for their internal uses (less likely) or they just have multiple non-linked logins (more likely, one international company I worked at did it this way).

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Ok, sounds good. Didn't know they let OSS project use it free. When I glanced at the Atlassian site earlier, the only thing I saw about pricing was how they want $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$ from their corporate customers. :shock:

BTW, for those that don't know MOzilla wrote BUGzilla, so of course they would use it even it were the worst program on the planet.

milon

Post by milon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 pm

alfanak.net wrote:i think moving to jira is a bad idea
I know nothing about jira. Why so you dislike it?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm

alfanak.net wrote:i think moving to jira is a bad idea
In turn, i would like to know why do you think this move is a bad idea? It would be easier to explain it then.

alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:27 am

milon wrote:I know nothing about jira. Why so you dislike it?
i thougth its paid thats why, after that z98 said its free for open source project, but he opened another topic about bugzilla.

Witch

Post by Witch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm

I learnt to use JIRA 6 months ago at new job as NOC in a project oriented environment. It got some nice pie-charts for unfinished tickets and so. With the ability to freely create SQL-filters for tickets. If you know how to use phpBB then you will get used to JIRA pretty fast.

But I find it more easy and fun to express myself with phpBB than with JIRA. If ReactOS will ditch phpBB in the future then I will be sad. :cry:

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Jira is for development package, not the forum replacement.

Witch

Post by Witch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 am

:P :P :P yay!