News - Supporting from russ Fed., why not From Un. St. ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon

Re: News - Supporting from russ Fed., why not From Un. St. ?

Post by milon »

wildschwein wrote:Did you ever think that Putin and a lot of other presidents MUSN'T help ROS ?

Because their consulters told him, that if he helps ROS financelly, it would perhaps "hit" the whole world with the same effect like an nuclear bomb !
What's your source for that? I've never heard that Putin or anyone else was told to NOT support ROS.
SomeGuy wrote:In a government agency even mentioning Linux is fireable offense. (I wish I were kidding)
Yikes! I didn't know we were THAT bad. o_O
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Is this the conspiracy theory thread now?

The great thing about FOSS is that it's open. If Vladimir Putin actually instructed Russian government programmers to contribute to ReactOS, they couldn't do anything to it that would make it undesirable to the West. Harmful changes wouldn't be accepted into trunk, and those that were overlooked would eventually be discovered. At best, the Russian government (or anyone else) could create their own private branch with any backdoors that they want, and they couldn't force anyone outside of Russia to use their branch. I really don't see why Putin "mustn't" support us.

The United States spends an enormous amount of money on research and development in fields other than weapons technology. ReactOS needn't be a weapon or made of oil to be of interest to the US government. As I stated previously, goverments at all levels around the world have passed legislation requiring their public services to adopt FOSS whenever it's practical. It's unlikely that any US government agency would contribute money to the project, but they might get permission to install it instead of Windows -- once it's stable and complete enough to be a viable alternative -- to save money on licensing costs, which can cost millions of dollars in large departments and agencies. Being FOSS, their programmers would be forced to fix bugs, and they might send them upstream.

Though government adoption might not directly benefit ROS, adoption might well lead universities to contribute to development. Berkely, for instance, developed BSD as a free alternative to Unix. If governments were using ReactOS, that would be an incentive for educational institutions to develop the OS for their own use.

Which brings us back to the issue of cold calling/emailing people in power about ReactOS. If you've ever tried to contact a politician in your own jurisdiction, you'll know that the response (if any) invariably comes from a staffer who has not forwarded your email to the politician. Besides being an unsolicited message that doesn't fit the criteria for which they published their contact information (thus "spam"), you're only going to get a form response anyway. If you want to get their attention, do it the same way that led Medvedev and Putin to be aware of ROS: be present at events that powerful people are going to attend, where ROS is being featured for its merit. Winning an award gives ROS far more credibility than the unsolicited endorsement of some nobody! Unless you plan to make a massive donation to someone's campaign, they will definitely not be interested if you approach them. If they approach you, it's a different story.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

From what I know about Germany it is even tougher regarding person's privacy and security of his personal data.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Haos,

forget what do you think to know, every day, if you not wrote to be against,
become you new advertising in you Postbox/Mailbox on the House, every,
the most Handy it is full of spam, diffrent Technikhouses, furniture
rentals and other Stores Mail you personaly and you Mailbox of you House
is full of letters who advertising on it and you tell, you know like it is
and no who can mailing, so do you know germany bad.. and i want bet, you
know that other countries even worse ... this over safety and privacy
on the address there on germany.. you be funny and think you to defend
the rules on in another country who you not lives and only thinks to know about..
( no, dont lafting now..this is too serious...)
The GEZ the worst facility here in germany (i think you know what it is the GEZ) become automatic
you address and personal dates if you change you residence in a other City or Town !!
This about the rules and safety over addresses and personal data here in germany.

DOSGuy, 2rd,

and this it is , University's, private Facility's and perhaps peoples who have enough money to can support to enabling
for reactos and may by more for reactos if they have enough money (here i speak over millionaires)
and can afford to let a larger sum reactos come as support may by .. or something and maby
come anyone to Events who be some persons and speak with them to become support for reactos..
in this direction could all be possible ... i think...maybe someone where millionaires are known or related
in the Family who can support Reactos in a big style ...... and can call for it...
but have not think on it, but a try /an attempt is worth it to call about reactos for support..
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Blackcrack wrote:Hy Haos,

the rules on in another country who you not lives and only thinks to know about..
I`m not going to pursue this discussion any futher. If you cannot understand why i would not want to see ReactOS among the spam i receive every day, then its not my problem but yours. It doesn't matter if the objective is a worthy one, if the form of communicating it is totally unacceptable.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

huhh .. I did not engage or else.. you now but if you not like to understand what i
mean with try to become support it is your's.. how ever.. it is okey..
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

Haos wrote:
Blackcrack wrote:Hy Haos,

I`m not going to pursue this discussion any futher. If you cannot understand why i would not want to see ReactOS among the spam i receive every day, then its not my problem but yours. It doesn't matter if the objective is a worthy one, if the form of communicating it is totally unacceptable.

Subscribe
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

andreas84 wrote:
Haos wrote:=

Subscribe

Oh sorry for those who not understand subscribe it means that i agree with the quoted text and fully support the idea.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

how ever, we need an/one or more Supporter for reactos
may by from Facility's or University's or Private who have
more money who can do more or support Reactos and
buy/get notebooks for the prteam or something.
alexei

Post by alexei »

What's the point in supporting ReactOS?
It's free. So what? Maintenance costs would eat benifits.
It's Open Source. So what? Who's gonna read your sources?
What can you really offer, what real benifits it provides?
You can get some interest if you offer some enhancements over MS.
For example:
Better customization and user control.
2003-style desktop with 2008 features.
Running more than one instance of the OS with hrdware partitioning.
Running 64bit applications on 32bit OS.
Whatever else, which is not possible on MS Windows or requires 3rd party software.
You would be able to say: yes, it's still buggy, not fully compatible, etc., BUT IT CAN DO THIS AND THAT! That would be a selling point! That would attract computer enthusiasts. That would be something people would talk, that would go to the news, etc.

BTW:
AMD has some special features on their CPUs. They may give you some money if you make use of them in the ROS.
What about asking for money from MS and/or Apple :)
If I were US president and I heard Putin refused I would give you $$ just on a principal matter.
Another idea: small trade-mark icons of contributors of $10,000 (please don't go below 10 thousands) would be placed on ROS login screen for 5 years (permanently if over $100,000).
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

alexei wrote:Running 64bit applications on 32bit OS.
Why? If you have a 64-bit CPU, use the 64-bit version of your OS. If you have a 32-bit OS, use the 32-bit version of the software. If you must use a 32-bit OS and must use a 64-bit program, use a virtualization suite to run the 64-bit program in a 64-bit OS.
alexei wrote:AMD has some special features on their CPUs. They may give you some money if you make use of them in the ROS.
If they don't pay other OSes, they're not likely to pay ReactOS.
alexei wrote:What about asking for money from MS and/or Apple :)
Ask Microsoft for money to compete with them? I could maybe see Apple including ReactOS in a VM or as a dual boot option to stick it to Microsoft.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

DOSGuy wrote:
alexei wrote:Running 64bit applications on 32bit OS.
Why?
Driver compatibility.

Technical requirements would be fierce and unfeasible, but people might remember Win32s that ran 32-bit applications on the 16-bit Windows 3.1.
milon

Post by milon »

alexei wrote:Another idea: small trade-mark icons of contributors of $10,000 (please don't go below 10 thousands) would be placed on ROS login screen for 5 years (permanently if over $100,000).
In my opinion, absolutely NOT.
ReactOS is free, open source software. It is NOT adware. Besides, anyone could just download the source, nix the icon, and recompile. I bet most people would do that. It's easy enough that even I could figure it out if I were so inclined. That really isn't an incentive for them and we (or at least, I) would hate it.
alexei

Post by alexei »

milon wrote: It is NOT adware.
I'm not sure you should consider "small trade-mark icons" adware.
Obviously, I meant no advertizing text should be present.
BTW, it's a common practice to mention sponsors of a free stuff, like educational movies, etc. Why not to honor ones who helped?
In my opinion self-advertizing MS-logo, Tux-penguin, or mascots of any kind are much more annoying.

As a side note, the whole idea of hiring developers does not really go well with the spirit of "free, open source software". I'would not mind if ROS spread donations among existing developers as appreciation of their work, but "hiring" doesn't sound right to me.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

alexei wrote:
milon wrote: It is NOT adware.
I'm not sure you should consider "small trade-mark icons" adware.
Obviously, I meant no advertizing text should be present.
BTW, it's a common practice to mention sponsors of a free stuff, like educational movies, etc. Why not to honor ones who helped?
In my opinion self-advertizing MS-logo, Tux-penguin, or mascots of any kind are much more annoying.

As a side note, the whole idea of hiring developers does not really go well with the spirit of "free, open source software". I'would not mind if ROS spread donations among existing developers as appreciation of their work, but "hiring" doesn't sound right to me.
2rd

like a lil' Comicart Girly (maby like a Reactos Witch or something) or a lil comicart Pet ...
a lil dog or a lil cat with bbbiigg Eyes may by.. "help ma ? Miouuhh/Woufh "